Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

N.C. DMV to Use Facial Recognition Scanners

N.C. DMV to Use Facial Recognition Scanners
    Associated Press
    Updated: 02-6-2009 12:07 pm

The state Division of Motor Vehicles on Friday will begin scanning and digitizing the faces of people applying for or renewing driver's licenses, a measure officials said would help cut ID fraud and find suspected terrorists.

The face recognition technology that goes into use at DMV offices around the state compares facial features with digital images in the agency's database to verify the identity of each applicant, Gov. Mike Easley's office said in a statement Thursday. The images will also be matched against those on federal terrorist watch lists.

``This is another vital step in making our state a more secure place in which to live, work and travel,'' Easley said. ``This new tool will allow us to continue our efforts to make North Carolina's driver license procedures among the strongest in the nation. It is proof of our strong stand against identity fraud, the nation's fastest growing crime.''

The process uses computer software to define characteristics of each face being photographed for a license. Facial features measured by the computer include the distance between eyes, the width of the nose, the depth of eye sockets, and the location of cheekbones and the chin.

The measured features are then converted into a numerical code that can be read by computers that verify identity.

``As the system grows and more images are added, we will have a powerful database that will significantly strengthen our efforts to prevent identity theft in North Carolina,'' DMV commissioner George Tatum said.

The face scans were first proposed in February as part of an effort to cut ID fraud.

Earlier, DMV reduced the types of accepted forms of identification for first time applicants for a driver license or ID card. DMV now accepts only proof of identity documents issued by federal or state governments, such as a valid out-of-state driver license or a passport.

In May, the DMV started using a link that allows examiners to verify the Social Security numbers of an ID applicant with the Social Security Administration.

The DMV plans to roll out a new license and identification card later this fall. They are expected to be harder to fake due to features including added color and watermarks.

http://www.securityinfowatch.com/root+level/1276106
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

I love it that my tax dollars are going to support one of the more sensible programs to prove whether there has been identity theft or not. Yippee!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Just maybe some of our bugging the NC elected officials is paying off. We have to keep the water steaming, though. We must keep adding NC supporters who vote on our side.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

FRT DOES NOT WORK. Had you studied this you would not be happy that your tax dollars were being wasted on useless technology.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Quote Originally Posted by vmonkey56
    Just maybe some of our bugging the NC elected officials is paying off. We have to keep the water steaming, though.
    You bet I am along with 8 million other people in this state.

It was my understanding that the FRT was already online and in use across most of the state long ago. I think William can shed some light on that, as I recall discussing it months ago when he was renewing his license. Didn't many of us poke around in state news databases researching the NWO hologram and RFID chips and stumble onto this topic???

Maybe I'm just getting senile and suffering from an onset of CRS, but I think I remember this coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by tiredofapathy
    It was my understanding that the FRT was already online and in use across most of the state long ago. I think William can shed some light on that, as I recall discussing it months ago when he was renewing his license. Didn't many of us poke around in state news databases researching the NWO hologram and RFID chips and stumble onto this topic???

Maybe I'm just getting senile and suffering from an onset of CRS, but I think I remember this coming up.
    From my observations, I believe they have been using this technology already for about two years now.

They have even spoken of it before, but this is the first time they have let people know their faces will be turned into numbers and then matched against Federal terror lists.

Now, if they would just tell the rest of the story about how once you have one of these new licenses you can be tracked without your knowledge when you walk in front of digital cameras going up all across the nation in many locations.

They will likely tell everyone about that, long after the system is operational.

W

I think I have been tracked already for when I am at a second address I start getting phone call from one governmental business. It is so odd that my family member says to me how do they know you are here right now. It has to be the chip in my North Carolina driver's license and some digital camera. How odd, so start leaving my license at home. And I will see the next time I go visiting if I am being tracked via my license. I am serious, I truly think I have already been tracked.

MW
    vmonkey56 wrote:

I think I have been tracked already for when I am at a second address I start getting phone call from one governmental business. It is so odd that my family member says to me how do they know you are here right now. It has to be the chip in my North Carolina driver's license and some digital camera.
    Based on the technology currently being utilized in NC driver's licenses, I don't see how that could be possible.

The process uses computer software to define characteristics of each face being photographed for a license. Facial features measured by the computer include the distance between eyes, the width of the nose, the depth of eye sockets, and the location of cheekbones and the chin.
    I don't see anything wrong with this. However, for accurate measurements, are they going to force folks with bushy beards to shave their facial hair off? I would have a problem with that. Geez, there goes all hope of ZZ-Top, Charlie Daniels, and Hank Williams, Jr., relocating to North Carolina.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Maybe in 10 years if we're around the truth will come out, MW. I and others just know what happens when I am traveling and we have laughed it off in the past.