Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

N.M. Cuts will cost some their child-care aid

Cuts will cost some their child-care aid

By Ashley Meeks ameeks@lcsun-news.com
    Posted: 09/23/2010 12:32:11 AM MDT

LAS CRUCES - Working families are facing an unwelcome prospect this week - earn less, or you'll lose your child care.

Faced with a continuing budget crisis, the state plans to slash child-care benefits for 5,000 families earning more than the federal poverty level: $14,570 for a single parent with one child, $18,310 for a family of three, $22,050 for a family of four. Right now, eligibility is open to families earning twice that.

Charleen Garcia, a mother of three boys, ages 2, 4 and 6, learned Tuesday she was one of more than 1,000 Do-a Ana County parents estimated to be cut out of the state's subsidies when they end Oct. 31. Garcia, 26, a full-time wildlife sciences student at New Mexico State University, and her husband, who earns about $2,400 a month in landscaping, pay about $270 a month for child care at Toy Box Preschool. Without subsidies, their bill would be an impossible $1,350 a month.

"I just - I don't know what I'm going to do," she said Wednesday. "I don't have family that lives here, that doesn't work. We can't afford for (my husband) to stop working. I can't afford to stop going to school. I'm at a loss. I don't know what to do."

Garcia said she's still in shock - especially on the heels of Gov. Bill Richardson's announcement Tuesday to use $2.8 million in federal stimulus funds for a horse sanctuary in the northern part of the state.

"I'm trying to figure out what our options are," she said. "I don't know that we have any."

Grider described the state's budgetary priorities in two words: "Screwed up."
    Under the new income cutoffs, she said, "a single mom with one child can't make minimum wage in Las Cruces and receive assistance. What are they supposed to do, quit their jobs to keep their child care?"

Grider said she hasn't been able to get anyone from the state to return her calls. Like Garcia, she doesn't know what will happen to her business - and its 46 families expected to lose child-care subsidies - if the state goes through with its plan.

"I have a mom with two after-schoolers and, I believe, a toddler and she works full time ... she said the after-schoolers, she can probably find someone to pick them up, but she's asking, 'What can I do to work things out for my toddler? What am I going to do, quit my job and stay home?'" Grider said. "This isn't just going to affect children and child care. This is going to impact our economy."

Ray Jaramillo, the past president of the Southern New Mexico Association for the Education of Young Children, estimates there are close to 1,000 Do-a Ana County families who will see their child care disappear, but that the effects will ripple out to the upper and middle-class, childless workers and area employers.

"It's huge," said Jaramillo, the director of the Alpha School for Young Children. "We're going to have to lay off teachers. Parents are going to have to give up work or leave their children at home with people who may not be qualified to be with children because they can't afford better. It's going to be a trickle-down effect. Providers will have to give up benefits, lay off staff."

The co-workers of those working parents will suffer too, he said.

"It's going to affect the manager at Walgreens, the manager at Sonic," he said. "Somebody needs to step up. The governor needs to step up and reallocate funds ... If people can not have child care - quality child care - it affects the whole working force. It affects everyone in our community."

Carolann Hoban, of Living Hope Montessori child care, said she is worried about the children she cares for.

"The impact that this is going to have on the children and the families is horendous," she said. "Children are going to be uprooted from what they're used to and the providers that they're used to having, and that's going to cause problems."

Ashley Meeks can be reached at (575) 541-5462

http://www.lcsun-news.com/las_cruces-news/ci_16150640
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

that not Our worry . the American don't have it at all thank to Obama
    well come Tax Time you get 1.000 for each kid well get up off your ass & work . are you waiting for the check In the mail I don't feel sorry so any one. Only the American what they work hard . I Had 2 job but the Illigal Immigrant Has it now . My wife has ajob for how long I don't Know you get More they we do & your are crying the blue from the Look of your money you are liveing like a king don't have any more kids stay the Hell In your Our country
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)