Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Nation’s children push back against Michelle Obama-backed school lunch regs

Nation’s children push back against Michelle Obama-backed school lunch regs

Published: 3:12 PM 09/22/2012

By Caroline May

Children and parents across the country are fed up with the restrictive new school meal regulations implemented by the Department of Agriculture under the “Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010,” which has long been touted by first lady Michelle Obama.

The standards — which cap meal calories at 650 for students in kindergarten through fifth grade, at 700 calories for middle school students and 850 for high school students — also dictate the number of breads, proteins, vegetables and fruits children are allowed per meal.

A spokeswoman for Iowa Republican Rep. Steve King, who earlier this month introduced legislation to roll back the new standards, told The Daily Caller that King’s office has heard more complaints about the issue during the past few weeks than any other.

“This year, we’ll be hungry by 2:00,” one student, Zach Eck, told KAKETV in Kansas. “We would eat our pencils at school if they had nutritional value.”

Iowa mom Robin Wissink told TheDC that she now provides her autistic daughter Molly, a junior in high school, with a bag lunch because her school’s new menu is so unappealing. Students at St. Mark’s in Colwich, Kan. have also been “brown bagging” their meals.

And some student-athletes in Wisconsin are arguing that the calorie caps hit them especially hard, given their intense workouts and scrimmages.

“A lot of us are starting to get hungry even before the practice begins,” Mukwonago High senior Nick Blohm told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. “Our metabolisms are all sped up.”

The new lunch standards have led to the removal of some old food favorites, including a particularly popular item at one school in upstate New York: chicken nuggets.

“Now they’re kind of forcing all the students to get the vegetables and fruit with their lunch, and they took out chicken nuggets this year, which I’m not too happy about,” Chris Cimino, a senior at Mohonasen High School in upstate New York, told the Associated Press, which gave the rules a “mixed grade.”

Students in the Plum Borough School District in Pennsylvania are protesting the new federal restrictions on Twitter.
    “everyone.. if you agree school lunches are expensive and small, RT this. we can fight the school! tweet #BrownBagginIt,” @TornadoBoyTubbs tweeted, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Administrators have scrambled to find creative ways to make the new menus appealing. A school district in Lake County, Fla., for example, is planning to conduct a survey to determine how to make vegetables more appealing to children, who often throw them out.

“[The regulations do limit the food that you can put on the plate,” Alden Caldwell, the director of food services at a Brookline, Mass. school, told Wicked Local. “In theory, it’s a good idea, but in practice we’re finding that there are issues with it.”

Despite the outrage, some parents believe the ongoing obesity epidemic justifies the tight calorie standards.

“I think it’s smart to be pre-emptive and proactive at getting more nutrition fed into the kids,” Amos Johnson, a parent with students in the Lee Summit, Missouri school system, told the Lee’s Summit Journal. “I see that more as a multi-beneficial supporter for health and academic performance. I think that’s the thing I would look at. You should be healthier, and if you’re nourishing the brain and getting the fuel right, academic outcomes should maintain or improve.”

When the legislation was signed into law in 2010, it received bipartisan support, including a big endorsement from Michelle Obama.

“As parents, we try to prepare decent meals, limit how much junk food our kids eat, and ensure they have a reasonably balanced diet,” the first lady said in a statement at the unveiling of the new standards in January. “And when we’re putting in all that effort the last thing we want is for our hard work to be undone each day in the school cafeteria. When we send our kids to school, we expect that they won’t be eating the kind of fatty, salty, sugary foods that we try to keep them from eating at home. We want the food they get at school to be the same kind of food we would serve at our own kitchen tables.”
    Obama welcomed students back to school this year with a YouTube video explaining the importance of the new meal plans.

King and Kansas Republican Rep. Tim Huelskamp introduced the “No Hungry Kids Act,” which would repeal the USDA rule that resulted in the new standards, last week.

“The goal of the school lunch program is supposed to be feeding children, not filling the trash cans with uneaten food,” Huelskamp said in a statement. “The USDA’s new school lunch guidelines are a perfect example of what is wrong with government: misguided inputs, tremendous waste, and unaccomplished goals. Thanks to the Nutrition Nannies at the USDA, America’s children are going hungry at school.”

Read more: Nation’s children push back against Michelle Obama-backed school lunch regs | The Daily Caller

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Levin: 'Michelle Obama Is The New Eva Peron With Her Lunch Standards,' 'She Knows As Much As I Do'

By David James
    September 25, 2012

Last night, radio host Mark Levin described the Department of Agriculture and Michelle Obama's new school lunch regulations as "tyranny."

Levin was discussing an article that stated many high school athletes and students are not getting enough food each day and are throwing away food because of the mandates instituted this year by the Department of Agriculture.

"But I think Michelle Obama is the new Eva Peron with her lunch standards," Levin said. "Like she knows something about this. She knows as much as I do. Eat carrots and celery. Yum, yum.

"But I'm gonna tell you something. These students - they're showing us the way. Mark, what do you mean? I want you to listen to this.

"Kyle Olsen, Townhall. 'Complaints against Michelle Obama's new lunch menu mount. In Wisconsin, high school athletes are complaining about not getting to eat each day, due to the skimpy new school lunch menu mandated by the US Department of Agriculture and First Lady Michelle Obama.'

"First of all, where does the Constitution empower her or that department to reach all the way down to every school- public school - in this country and set the menu?

"Are people in the local communities - are you incapable of overseeing this yourself? Is your school board incapable of doing this? Are your local administrators and principals - are they incapable of doing this?

"We need the Department of Agriculture and Michelle Obama to mandate who eats what, where, how, and when in our public school systems? That's tyranny right there - it's absurd.

"Alright, let's move on, shall we? Let's see. 'Students across the country are complaining about the new school lunch regulations'- this by the way is on the Drudge Report - he's got a headline there if you want to see it.'

"'Perhaps the real motive is to starve students into slimming down. Just ask students in Pierre, South Dakota who are in an all-out revolt. 'I know a lot of my friends who are just drinking a jug of milk for lunch; they're not getting a proper meal,' middle school Samantha Gortmaker told keloland.com. Despite the fact that new regulations have increased the cost of a lunch 20 to 25 cents per plate, it's not pleasing students.'

"That sums up government right there. Price goes up - price goes up, quality, quantity goes down. You're paying for less, and they're mandating it.

"So chalk one up again for the Obama administration. Starving our public school children. How do you like that? Ladies and gentlemen, big government sucks. Everything it touches turns into crap."

Levin: 'Michelle Obama Is The New Eva Peron With Her Lunch Standards,' 'She Knows As Much As I Do' | CNSNews.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn