Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Nationalism Ignites E.U. Rebellion

Read entire article at:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 26_pf.html

For Many Citizens, Identity Takes Precedence Over Unity

Similar resentment is resonating throughout the E.U. these days, as the bloc faces a rebellion from within by people who say it has grown too big, too fast and become unaccountable now that it oversees 25 countries with a population of more than 450 million. The objections vary from country to country, but they add up to the same thing, a desire to put the brakes on more than 50 years of integration.

In France, voters rejected a proposed E.U. constitution May 29 by a ratio of 55 to 45. In the Netherlands, another founding member of the bloc when it was formed in 1952, it was rejected 62 percent to 38 percent three days later. Few voters had actually read the voluminous document, but a "no" vote was a way to protest against the integration that has been a pet project of political elites for half a century but has rarely been put to the citizenry.

In France, "no" voters often said they were convinced the E.U. would impose what is known derisively as Anglo-Saxon economics on all its members, effectively dismantling the French welfare state with its emphasis on job preservation and a generous social safety net.

For other opponents, the issue was immigration. They believe that their countries' Muslim minorities are already too large and that the constitution would eventually open the way to admission of Turkey, a predominantly Muslim country of 70 million people.

"All the E.U. regulations changed the way we do business," said Ruggeri, whose store is a Rome landmark. Italian shoppers want their fresh cheese floating in brine, which keeps it moist, Ruggeri explained this past week. And they want to be able to tell their grocery man how much to slice off the big pearly white "braids" of the cheese. Instead, because of European Union rules that came into force two years ago, mozzarella must be packed in plastic with the expiration date stamped all over it.

Could the E.U. force the Netherlands to crack down on its cherished drug dens? Dutch opponents also speculated that the E.U. would eventually override the country's permissive policies governing abortion, euthanasia and drug use. Local lawmakers who campaigned on behalf of the constitution tried to reassure voters that the country's sovereignty was not endangered. But many voters were not convinced. He noted that the constitution would erode long-standing E.U. principles that a single country can block legislation. A small one like the Netherlands would be left at the mercy of its neighbors, he said: "Holland only has a very small voice."

Financial gripes against the E.U. resonate in Britain, which so far has resisted calls to give up the pound sterling in favor of the euro. Memories of a 1992 currency crisis, when the British pound and other European currencies, linked in a pre-euro effort to regulate exchange rates, plunged in value. "I cannot see that a single currency will ever work without a single government to administer it and with tax-raising powers."

These days, the British are among the strongest skeptics of further European consolidation. A decade ago, many people in Britain saw adoption of the euro as inevitable, but Martin said the tide has shifted. "Now there is a change," he said. "People say they don't want it. They are fed up of Europe."

Moved to other topics.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

They are getting around it. The next step is no longer going to the people. I noticed when I visited Ireland last fall there had been major brainwashing changes including, but not limited to the following:

Pubs no longer play traditional music. The reason? It speaks of war and sacrifice and rebellion against the English rule. It gives their children the wrong messages. This is being said in a country where the older generation all have brothers, sisters or cousins who died for Ireland's sovereignty. How quickly they forgot.

They no longer say "I am Irish" now it is "I am European"

I have often heard them say that they have no choice but to strengthen the European Union into one nation, the reason? If they do not Unite, The US is going to take over Europe. Bush is already telling them what they can and can't do.

I see them seeping into the mire deeper and deeper and fewer of them are seeing the light.

That is my opinion based on my observations.
    Proud American and wife of a wonderful LEGAL immigrant from Ireland.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I just chatted with someone in Germany who feels a slew of immigrants have taken over everything, changed his town and he feels they get preference with jobs. How sad.
    The John McCain Call Center
    [img]http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/815000/images/_818096_foxphone150.jpg[/]

Bucking the system will have it's price. Lets hope it is kind.

Pubs no longer play traditional music
    Noisy electric guitar music has squashed traditional music throughout the world. There is no joy in this music, only savage grunting and screaming.
    [b] If we do not insist on Voter ID, how can we stop illegals from voting?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan
    Noisy electric guitar music has squashed traditional music throughout the world. There is no joy in this music, only savage grunting and screaming.
    True, but they are not playing that very much either lolol, try music from the 50's and 60's

Until a year ago, Ireland always had pubs that played trad music. Often it was mixed in with other kinds of music, but at least a few trad songs were played.
    Proud American and wife of a wonderful LEGAL immigrant from Ireland.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by cayla99
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan
    True, but they are not playing that very much either lolol, try music from the 50's and 60's

Until a year ago, Ireland always had pubs that played trad music. Often it was mixed in with other kinds of music, but at least a few trad songs were played.
    I tend to think of traditional music as something originating much earlier than the advent of electricity and devices like the electric guitar. The accordion or piano are very traditional instruments that produce traditional music. How often do you hear an accordion played in a pub or bierstube?
    [b] If we do not insist on Voter ID, how can we stop illegals from voting?