Kissell's first year was no honeymoon
As vulnerable freshman congressman focuses on jobs, his record is under attack from two sides.
By Jim Morrill
jmorrill@charlotteobserver.com
Posted: Saturday, Jan. 09, 2010
For Democratic U.S. Rep. Larry Kissell, it's been the "longest, shortest year of my life."

"The last time I said 'I do,' at least I had a honeymoon waiting for me," he told the Observer on Friday.

It's been anything but for the former social studies teacher sworn in a year ago this week as a member of Congress.

Now Kissell is widely regarded as North Carolina's most vulnerable incumbent. In a year when Republicans are expected to make gains across the country, Kissell will have to repel Republican attacks while trying to stave off a revolt in his own party.

On Friday, he brought state officials together with three dozen business and elected leaders to talk about jobs at what was billed as an "economic summit" at UNC Charlotte.

Even as he did, critics went after another job - his.

"I don't see any great movement about creating jobs in the district," said Republican candidate and former Charlotte sportscaster Harold Johnson.

Another GOP candidate, Tim D'Annunzio of Hoke County, faulted Kissell for voting with other Democrats "to spend more money and increase the size of government."

Some Democrats, meanwhile, are so upset with some of Kissell's votes that they're looking for a primary challenger. Last summer, he voted against so-called cap-and-trade environmental legislation. And in November, he was one of 39 Democrats who voted against the health care overhaul measure that passed the House by five votes.

Ralph Bostic, Democratic chairman in Kissell's home Montgomery County, said he's not sure he would support him in a primary. "If we've got a good candidate, I think he might be in a bit of trouble," Bostic said.

'The House bill is better'

House and Senate negotiators are trying to craft a compromise health care bill, and Kissell could have a chance to placate Democratic critics if it comes back for a vote. But that might not be easy.

Asked if he could support legislation similar to that which passed in the Senate, Kissell said, "I happen to think the House bill is better."

Among other things, he objects to the Senate's proposal to tax high-cost "Cadillac" insurance plans. Many Democrats oppose the tax, as do many labor unions.

Kissell said he voted against the House bill because it cut Medicare, which he promised to protect. One government report said it would cut $500 billion over 10 years from Medicare spending and reduce benefits for seniors. Other experts dispute that.

But, said Kissell, "that's too high a price to pay to get the reform we need."

Critics' focus: Voting record

Critics on both sides fault Kissell's record of voting with the majority of his party 96 percent of the time, more than North Carolina's conservative Blue Dog Democrats - Heath Shuler and Mike McIntyre - but less than the state's five other Democratic House members.

Democrats wish he'd stuck with the party on more votes, such as health care. Republicans criticize him for sticking with it too much.

"He comes from a district that trends conservative irrespective of party affiliation, and he votes 96 percent with the speaker of the House," said 8th District GOP candidate Lou Huddleston of Fayetteville. "It's that 96 percent that represent his true colors."

Kissell is the first Democrat in 10 years to represent the district that stretches from Charlotte to Fayetteville. Until 2008, when it went for Barack Obama, the district had voted Republican for president for at least three decades.

The district also has some of the state's highest unemployment. Kissell has focused on changing that. In November, he played matchmaker by bringing small-business owners from the region together in Stanly County with government agencies that could help.

"Larry is there when we need him," said Kevin Gullette, executive director of the Stanly County Economic Development Commission. "He's been an advocate for our business."

This week Kissell met with constituents across the district, including Hoke County commissioners.

"He's eager to learn and find out the things that need to be done ... here in the 8th District," said commissioners Chairman Tony Hunt. "I've been pleased with his performance so far."

Kissell, meanwhile, brushes aside questions about politics.

"We'll just keep doing our job and keeping our promises," he said.

Jim Morrill: 704-358-5059
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/topsto ... 69509.html