Nearly $200,000 raised for Giants fan beaten at Dodgers opening game

The donations keep rolling in for Bryan Stow, the Santa Clara paramedic severely beaten at a Dodgers game two weeks ago.

At a fundraiser Monday at Dodger Stadium, more than $60,000 was raised, said American Medical Response spokesman Jason Sorrick, bringing the total raised for Stow, who works for the company, to almost $200,000. And that's before the San Francisco donations were included.

The Giants ball club contributed $10,000.

At the stadium fund-raiser, former Dodgers manager Tommy Lasorda wrote a check for $5,000, misty-eyed as he handed it to volunteers.

"I shed a lot of tears. He didn't deserve it, he was a nice young man," Lasorda said later in a phone interview. "This guy is in a coma in the hospital — I mean come on, over a baseball game?

"It could have happened in any ballpark in America," he added. "I think it was very good for Dodger fans to come together to show their respect and sorrow for this young man."

Santa Monica resident Victoria Caldwell, 40, a bookkeeper for an entertainment accounting firm, said she saw news of the fundraiser on television and came down with her miniature pinscher, Minnie.

A Dodgers fan since childhood, Caldwell said she was shocked by the violence but believed it was important "to stick together and show our commitment" by helping with Stow's healthcare costs. The attack, she said, was an isolated incident.

-- Gale Holland

Photo: San Francisco police were out in force at the Giants-Dodgers gahttp://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow ... ame.htmlme Monday. Credit: Beck Diefenbach / Reuters