Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

New law requires worker classification

New law requires worker classification

August 7, 2007
    The Associated Press
    CHICAGO -- A new law means fines for construction companies that inappropriately classify workers as independent contractors instead of regular employees, a practice condemned by labor unions because they say it deprives workers of benefits such as worker's compensation and unemployment.

"Misclassification of employees as independent contractors is one of the chief devices that greedy employers use to cheat workers out of their benefits," said AFL-CIO president John Sweeney, who was at Monday's bill signing with Gov. Rod Blagojevich and other labor leaders.

Sweeney, who was in town for a national union meeting and today's Democratic presidential primary forum, said misclassification costs states like Illinois millions of dollars in tax revenue. Employers avoid paying payroll and social security taxes on independent contractors, according to the governor's office.

Other states have addressed worker misclassification and Illinois is one of at least five states to pass a law, said Bill Looby, political director for the Illinois AFL-CIO.

Illinois' law presumes workers are regular employees, not independent contractors, unless certain conditions exist, including that the person is in an independently established trade or business.

Violations can cost a company up to $2,500.

Illinois Chamber of Commerce president Doug Whitley said his business group had wanted to support the bill, but differences emerged with the unions over some issues, including the penalties.

Whitley said the measure ultimately ended up "a pretty heavy-handed approach."

Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/hera ... 1.article#
    They also do this here with alot of delivery jobs...pizza etc. That's one way they are also getting out of being responsible for checking whether they are citizens or not.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Sounds good to me Whitley!!!

My electric company hired sub-contractors from Houston Tx. and the ones who worked on the Electric poles behind my house could not speak any english.

I called the electric company and asked why they did not hire locals,I was told this company put in the lowest bid.I then told him I suspected some of the crew were illegal,his response was,the electric company cannot be held responsible if they are illegals !!! I responded by saying "don't count on that defense if one of your customers calls ICE because you are responsible." I know they probably would get away with it but I wanted to give him something to think about !!!!!!

I also gave him H--L about not hiring local citizens.I live in FL.
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson