NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTIONS FOR CONSTITUTIONALISTS

By Mary Starrett
January 1, 2010
NewsWithViews.com

As another year comes to a close and a new decade beckons I’m looking past my frivolous resolve to exercise more and eat less. Instead, I imagine a wish list compiled by Americans who yearn for a return to government bound by the limits of the Constitution. What would such a list look like? When a minority of colonists stood up to a tyrant king over two centuries ago they did so because they believed that freedom didn’t look anything like Red Coats quartered in village homes rifling through papers at will. Likewise, I’d like to see hordes of citizens resolve to refuse to have their bags turned inside out while they are groped and prodded at airports by bloated TSA agents. Agents who’ve been given the authority to intimidate Americans while open borders invite dangerous foreigners in with impunity.

I’d also like to see something on that Resolutions list that would require lawmakers to acknowledge the Constitutional mandate to protect us from that ongoing invasion at our southern border that threatens our lives, health, safety and economy. Fixing that insult would mend the injury by government which requires us to pay for food, shelter, clothing, medical care, education and prison beds for those who invade us.

I’d like to see a list of New Year’s Resolutions for this country written by Americans so well versed in the Constitution that despite what their elected officials tell them, no ‘Act’ allowing warrant-less searches and wiretaps would pass through Congress even if it were stamped with the word ‘Patriot’.

I’d like to note on that list a promise by elected officials that they would actually thumb through the Constitution and admit there’s nothing in there that says people can be forced to buy health insurance for themselves or people they don’t even know. I imagine that a resolution like that would have rendered the push for socialized medicine unnecessary, and then billions of dollars of debt for a scheme like mandated health care wouldn’t be heaped on the backs of taxpayers who haven’t even been born yet.

I’d like to see a resolution by newspaper reporters and news anchors that promises they’d be making some noise about the dangerous climate fostered by the Department of Homeland Security by labeling those who “defend the Constitutionâ€