Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

NYC Mayor Gets Public Scolding Before Signing Bill

Mayor Bloomberg believes that the economies of New York City and of the rest of the United States would collapse without "immigrant labor".

NYC MAYOR SIGNS THIRD TERM BILL

Monday, November 3, 2008 7:00 PM

NEW YORK -- Mayor Michael Bloomberg got a scolding at a bill-signing ceremony Monday from New Yorkers furious over how he changed the city's term-limits law, but he signed the measure anyway and is now clear to seek a third term.

The City Hall ceremony drew a long line of people seeking to testify, many who disagree with the way Bloomberg and the City Council quickly approved the change.

As Bloomberg sat at a desk with his hands folded, critics stepped up to a microphone and told him he was ignoring the will of the people, who twice approved term limits through referenda in the 1990s.

"Please Mr. Mayor, do not subvert the will, and the good will, of 8 million New Yorkers," said Patty Hagan. "Do not lift that pen and do not sign this disgraceful term-limits extender bill."

After four hours of public comment, Bloomberg said he had heard the "diversity of opinion" but was going to sign the bill.

"There's no easy answer and nobody is irreplaceable, but I do think that if you take a look at the real world of how long it takes to do things ... I just think that three terms makes more sense than two," he said.

It was just one month ago that the mayor announced he was reversing his long-held opinion that the law should not be changed. He argued that the city needs him to stay in office and manage its finances through the economic downturn.

The council held two hearings and narrowly passed the legislation on Oct. 23, which gives the mayor and dozens of other officeholders the option of running for a third term. Under the previous law, they were limited to two consecutive four-year terms, which would have forced Bloomberg and two-thirds of the council out of office next year.

Typically, just one or two people show up to speak about a bill, but Monday's ceremony drew about 140 people, including concerned citizens, elected officials, community leaders and lawyers who say they were planning legal challenges against the new law.

It was an unusual four hours for Bloomberg, whose approval ratings have hovered in the low 70s throughout his second term. Other than getting an earful from the occasional irate caller to his weekly radio show, or from a resident who encounters him on the subway, he rarely has to sit and face his critics for any length of time.

Asked later about the experience, he insisted he was not bothered.

"Any leader that can't sit there and let people tell them what they think shouldn't be leading," he said. "Some things I liked better than others, some things I found amusing, some things were a little bit off topic, but that's what democracy is all about."

Some who testified against the law told Bloomberg that voters deserved the chance to decide term-limits law through a referendum. Bloomberg has said there was not enough time to get it on this year's ballot and argues it would be impractical to have one next year while candidates are revving up their 2009 campaigns.

The mayoral election is next November.

Newsmax.com
    U.S.
    "NYC Mayor Gets Public Scolding Before Signing Bill"
    http://www.newsmax.com
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I can't wait to vote against this bastard...for the third time.
    Reporting without fear or favor-American Rattlesnake

Quote Originally Posted by Shapka
    I can't wait to vote against this bastard...for the third time.
    I just hope other NY'ers feel the same! It's good to see there was a lot of dissent, that people are standing up and telling him he's wrong. I hope they tell him AGAIN with their vote.

limited to two consecutive four-year terms, which would have forced Bloomberg and two-thirds of the council out of office next year.
    That says it all right there.
    The flag flies at half-mast out of grief for the death of my beautiful, formerly-free America. May God have mercy on your souls.
    RIP USA 7/4/1776 - 11/04/2008

Monocracy in NYC. This elitist attitude has got to be squashed.
    <div>"The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite."- James Madison, The Federalist Papers No.49</div>

Anyone here ever read Animal Farm by George Orwell? Looks like Bloomberg is Napoleon the pig.

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MW
    This is blatantly wrong on so many levels, especially when you consider the fact that two-thirds of the councils terms are about to expire! Allowing those personally affected by the outcome to vote is no different than allowing the big bad wolf to decide on the material for the three little pigs house. Of course the wolf is going to choose straw over brick!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Politicians like Bloomberg dont care what anyone thinks anymore. THIS IS THE KIND OF "CHANGE" THAT OBAMA AND HIS PALS KEEP SAYING OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

WELCOME TO "CHANGE" AMERICA.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I am livid about this. Apparently, Bloomberg forgot that he works for the people and not the other way around. Typical billionaire elitist.