Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Oak Lawn Cop accused of extorting Illegals

Bail set for Oak Lawn cop accused of extorting Hispanics
    Police chief says more shakedown cases may be found

November 8, 2007
    BY KIM JANSSEN Staff writer

A rookie Oak Lawn police officer accused of shaking down Hispanic immigrant workers is an "embarrassment ... to the entire law enforcement community," the village's police chief said Wednesday.

A Cook County judge set bail at $100,000 for officer Steven Harrison, 26, who is charged with extorting at least five victims of up to $250 each between Sept. 18 and 27, telling one of them, "This is how we do things in the suburbs."

Working the midnight shift, Harrison allegedly targeted immigrants as they arrived to start work before dawn at an Alsip business park in the 11500 block of Central Avenue, just over the Oak Lawn border, Assistant State's Attorney Dave Condron said during a hearing Wednesday.

In each case, Harrison made traffic stops and threatened his victims, many of whom spoke little English, that they could go to jail if they did not hand over cash, Condron said.

On one occasion, Harrison spent more than an hour negotiating with his victim, sending him home for money before accepting a payoff in the Oak Lawn police station parking lot, Condron said. He said each of the victims later identified Harrison in police lineups.

But Harrison's decision to hand each of his alleged victims a "receipt" on an Oak Lawn parking ticket may be more damaging - while five cases have been charged so far, a search of Harrison's locker revealed a book of sequentially numbered parking tickets with more tickets missing, Condron said.

Police Chief Bill Villanova said "we have found eight of the victims so far," but 14 tickets are missing from the book, suggesting there are more victims.

Villanova termed Harrison's alleged scheme an aberration and said he immediately removed Harrison from patrol duty after the first complaint was made Sept. 27. Harrison, who had been on the force for a little more than a year and still was on probation, was dismissed Oct. 19.

"Personally, it offends me," Villanova said. "It's an embarrassment not only to the Oak Lawn Police Department but to the entire law enforcement community."

Several minor cases, mainly traffic complaints, in which Harrison was the charging officer, will have to be dropped, the chief said.

Police were alerted about Harrison's misconduct by Richard Ehrie, owner of Advertising Resources Inc., who employs several of the alleged victims.

"When I heard about what was going on, I was outraged," Ehrie said. "These are hardworking people who are doing their best to put food on their families' tables, often making not much more than minimum wage, and this ... was stealing half a week's wages from them."

Ehrie said all of the targeted workers were in the country legally but that a culture of corruption among Mexican police meant his workers were conditioned to "pay up and not ask questions or make trouble." It took several hours for Ehrie and Illinois State Police to convince the workers they would not face reprisals if they came forward, he said.

"This cop probably thought they were in the country illegally, but they were not, and people need to wake up and smell the coffee and see that these workers are the backbone of this country," Ehrie said.

One of the alleged victims, Arturo Gutierrez, said he gave $200 to Harrison, but he added, "I'm not scared (of repercussions) - I'm not playing with people like that anymore."

Staff at Northern Products Co., which also employed some of the alleged victims, declined to comment.

Harrison is charged with five counts of felony official misconduct, three counts of felony intimidation and five counts of misdemeanor theft. His attorney, Brian Bennett, told the judge Harrison had a 1-year-old daughter, but Bennett declined to comment after the hearing.

Contributing: Nathaniel Zimmer.

Kim Janssen can be reached at kjanssen@dailysouthtown.com or (70 633-5998.

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/news/6406 ... op.article
    It's Time to Rescind the 14th Amendment

Something doesn't sound right here.

1. If these were traffic stops, why were they stopped? Were they asked for ID?

2. I don't see how the cop could have targeted hispanics, it was DARK
    outside. How could he tell WHO was driving the cars?

3. If the culture of corrupt police in Mexico is such that the drivers themselves would be used to just taking out cash when stopped. Harrison was dumb in taking the cash and should be punished.

4. If they're in the country legally, then they would know that's not how we do things here.

5. WHY would the cop give out receipts if he was shaking them down? I don't buy it.

This has set-up written all over it!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

While I agree the cop was stupid collecting cash, I don't believe these people are in the country legally. That's why I titled it "Illegals" instead of the headline merely calling them "Hispanics". That area is ripe with illegal aliens and there are factories all over it.

Keep in mind its Cook County.
    It's Time to Rescind the 14th Amendment

so now they are victims they will get a free pass into the US
    Never look at another flag. Remember, that behind Government, there is your country, and that you belong to her as you do belong to your own mother. Stand by her as you would stand by your own mother

If this man did this, he should be put under the jail for being corrupt - and for being so very stupid.

This is a young man. Wonder how long he has been a police officer?

Could he be on the 'take' from someone else? Just look at how much publicity and sympathy this will garner for LaRaza, etc. Maybe a better jobs awaiting.

Then again, he might just be an arrogant bully.

I don't think it would be hard for anyone to be able to pick out the illegals and hispanics. It would probably be one of those things that comes with enough experience just seeing illegals.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)