Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Obama, the 'birthers' -- and Chester A. Arthur USA TODAY

Aug 17, 2009

Obama, the 'birthers' -- and Chet Arthur

The president's critics seek to undermine him by suggesting he is foreign-born, and therefore ineligible to live in the White House.

Yep. That's the rumor that dogged Chester Alan Arthur, president from 1881-85.

More than a century before the "birthers" began challenging Barack Obama's citizenship, Arthur's enemies claimed he had been born in Canada. The folks who maintain Arthur's real birthplace in Fairfield, Vt., discuss the controversy with the Associated Press here.

If anything, Arthur was an easier target than Obama. He was truly an accidental president.

At the 1880 Republican Party convention, backers of James Garfield put Arthur on the ticket in an attempt to unite a fractious party. Arthur, ignored during the early months of the Garfield administration, ascended on Sept. 22, 1881, after the president died from an assassin's bullet.

A frustrated office seeker shot Garfield. And Arthur made his mark as president by signing the bill that created the Civil Service Commission, making most government jobs subject to competitive written exams.

Arthur, however, failed to unite the Republicans around him, and he failed to win the presidential nomination in 1884 -- the last sitting president to suffer such an embarrassment.

(Posted by David Jackson)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You can post a comment on the USA TODAY Online site at this link:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... titialskip
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

So this means that Obama is still the first 1/2 black president

but he might not be the first foreign born president?
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoe2

Obama is not foreign born. I wonder where all these people were BEFORE Obama was elected. It seems this became an issue after he was elected. If Obama was foreign born, the Republicans would have been all over it during the campaign. He was born in Hawaii.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by redpony353

Obama is not foreign born. I wonder where all these people were BEFORE Obama was elected. It seems this became an issue after he was elected. If Obama was foreign born, the Republicans would have been all over it during the campaign. He was born in Hawaii.
    The key word in my statement is "MIGHT". It was tongue in cheek.
    NO AMNESTY

Quote Originally Posted by redpony353

The key word in my statement is "MIGHT". It was tongue in cheek.
    Oops. I didnt read that very carefully did I?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)