Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Obama Doesn't Rule Out Jail Time-Not Complying w Health bill

November 10, 2009

Obama Doesn't Rule Out Jail Time for Not Complying with House Health Care Mandate

ABC News: “I think the general broad principle is simply that people who are paying for their health insurance aren't subsidizing folks who simply choose not to until they get sick and then suddenly they expect free health insurance. That's -- that's basic concept of responsibility that I think most Americans abide by,â€

Notice how he dodged the question. So much for the "open" government he promised. Like going to jail is not the biggest issue for Congress so it shouldn't be for you. And why is it not a big issue for Congress? Because members of Congress don't have to sign up for Health Care, therefore they don't have to worry about going to jail if they don't!

I smell a revolt.

Join the Discussion
    14 Comments | Post Comment

Posted by: Daily Dribble
    Nov 10, 11:21 AM
    Report Abuse
    Well, actually that IS the biggest question. We either live in a free society or we don't.

It is really as simple as that.

Posted by: huhh?
    Nov 10, 11:31 AM
    Report Abuse
    @The above comment: So you are in favor of doing away with the entire legal system then or should we only pass laws that you like? You seem to define freedom as what you personally deem acceptable.

Posted by: J. Shine
    Nov 10, 11:36 AM
    Report Abuse
    I think the President tried to brush off the question because mandating healthcare spending is NOT constitutional.

Your healthcare choices belong to you and you alone. We are free individuals who should be able to make our own choices. No where in our Constitution does it say that Government can interfere and dictate your health care decisions. [www.washingtonpost.com]

Posted by: 4 Petes Sake
    Nov 10, 11:39 AM
    Report Abuse
    Hey, don't you get free healthcare in jail?

Posted by: Jon Galt1776
    Nov 10, 11:48 AM
    Report Abuse
    Obama's standard replay when he wants to dimiss a question as not being worthy of him. Gibbs also uses it.

I don't think that such such is the biggest issue (fill in the blanks)

Obama - Go back to your old home town Jakarta and stay there.

Posted by: cuban1014
    Nov 10, 11:54 AM
    Report Abuse
    If you own a car part of the ownership is having insurance. If you don't own a car you don't
    need to own insurance it is your choice.

Its your companies choice if you want to offer benifits to atrack
    better choice of employees. why do you the companies that offer such perks get more applicants now you want to fine them or worse jail time if they don't. what next !!!

Posted by: non-partisan
    Nov 10, 11:54 AM
    Report Abuse
    1. 4 Pete's Sake's comment was hillarious

2. Jon Galt proves why conservative can't get away from being labeled racists, xenophobic bigots.

3. huhh makes a good point- freedom doesn't mean there are no laws or penalties. You can be against this bill, but saying it's against freedom isn't totally logical.

4. The problem I have with this mandated argument is this. My mother is currently someone who absolutely cannot afford any sort of isurance. She was left by her husband of 30 years two years ago and the insurance she always thought she was have was taken away from her upon divorce. Because she was out of the work world for so many years as she followed my father around as a dutiful military wife, she is only eligable for low-paying service secotr jobs, none of which come with insurance. However, she manages to be in ust the right loophole that she can't qualify for medicaid.

So my question to Obama is, is my mother going to be one of these who are deemed "able" to purchase insurance because they don't qualify for medicaid? If so, this is on kind of reform. I've been for it precisely because I want my mother and others like her to be able to get some kind of basic coverage that will allow them to see a doctor if they are injured or sick. But if all it is going to be is mandates to buy existing plans and fines if you don't, I'm not for this. Maybe Rep Kucinich is right.

Posted by: Rico555
    Nov 10, 12:19 PM
    Report Abuse
    He said. YES, Jail time is appropriate. He just likes to give long winded answers. You gotta love benevolent dictators.

Posted by: DailyDribble
    Nov 10, 12:20 PM
    Report Abuse
    huhh? Wrote:
    -------------------------------------------------------
    > @The above comment: So you are in favor of doing
    > away with the entire legal system then or should
    > we only pass laws that you like? You seem to
    > define freedom as what you personally deem
    > acceptable.

Thanks. You are making my point exactly! One person (or group) cannot use the legal system to take away or infringe on the rights of another.

From a purely legistlative standpoint, this piece of healthcare legistlation has many ethical, legal and Constitutional problems. Those who voted for it didn't seem to care. To them the ends justfied the means.

First, the proposed legislation is not aligned with Federal existing laws already on the books. This effects everything from retirement, to tax law and immigration, etc. If this crazy thing passes, it will be a logistical and legal nightmare with no end.

Second, is how this healthcare reform legislation relates to state law. Many of the States have already brought up issues with conflicts and confusion as to how it will work in and interfere with individual State's rights. They are all but being ignored by this administration.

Third, there are stacks of amendments - mostly from special interest groups - waiting in the wings to be added when the public isn't paying attention. Many of them have direct conflicts with what was passed in the latest version of the bill, the President's core objectives and stand in the way of true healthcare reform.

Clearly there is a difference between FREEDOM and a FREE-FOR-ALL. The laws of this nation are there for a purpose. They are to protect our freedoms, not destroy them.

My question is how on earth did you get to "doing away with the entire legal system" from asking a simple question about one specific issue? That is quite a stretch.

Posted by: Tcol
    Nov 10, 01:11 PM
    Report Abuse
    Mr. President,

You have tough job. Thanks you for trying to change this country for the better..... The silent majority is with you all the way just like this past November......

Posted by: Arthur Grady
    Nov 10, 01:15 PM
    Report Abuse
    Is the president suggesting that jail-time for failure to abide by a proposed unconstitutional law is not an issue? I truly never thought I would see this day in America and yet here we are. I am truly scared. If America renounces its freedoms, will there any place to hide from tyranny?

Posted by: lilvinnyb
    Nov 10, 01:19 PM
    Report Abuse
    You heard it from his own mouth...didnt say "no". We has no problem with jail time.

Hey TCOL...the silent majority spoke this past tuesday in new jersey and virginia.

Posted by: The Dumb Guy
    Nov 10, 01:51 PM
    Report Abuse
    cuban1014 Wrote:
    -------------------------------------------------------
    > If you own a car part of the ownership is having
    > insurance. If you don't own a car you don't
    > need to own insurance it is your choice.

This is a fallacious argument. You are required to have car insurance to protect damage you may cause to OTHER people or property, not your own vehicle. You may choose to purchase insurance to protect damage you cause to yourself or your vehicle, but you are not required to, it is your choice. By not choosing to have health insurance you are hurting no one but yourself, and therefore should not be mandated.

Posted by: Old Possum
    Nov 10, 02:11 PM
    Report Abuse
    So let me get this straight. President Obama and members of Congress will be exempt from all of the requirements of this bill, but it will apply to every other person in the U.S.? Wow.

OK, folks...what we have here is your official 20 year reminder of what leftists in control gets you. Please vote with your brains in 2010.

Here's my question: If illegals will be allowed to participate in the new health plan, if they show up at our emergency rooms for free healthcare, will they go to jail. Or does the jail provision apply only to Americans?
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)