Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

Obama makes Americans wistful for George W Bush

Bloodless President Barack Obama makes Americans wistful for George W Bush

Barack Obama's reaction to bad news is to play it so cool that Americans yearn for a bit more drama - and some even for his predecessor, writes Toby Harnden in Washington.

Toby Harnden's American Way
    Published: 5:57PM GMT 07 Nov 2009
    Comments 308

During the election campaign, Barack Obama's cool detachment was a winning quality, the "No Drama Obama" a welcome contrast with the "Mr Angry" John McCain, never mind the hot-headed "I'm the decider" President George W Bush.

A year into his presidency, however, Mr Obama seems a curiously bloodless president. If he experiences passion, he seldom shows it. It is often anyone's guess as to whether an event or issue truly moves him.

He has spent more than two months considering a troop increase but do we know how he really feels about the Afghan war?

In a sign that the Obama honeymoon truly is over, I began to hear this week the first stirrings of a wistfulness about Mr Bush. "I never thought I'd hear myself say it," one Democrat told me. "But Obama makes you feel that at least with Bush you knew where he was on something."

When Mr Bush's Republicans were defeated in the 2006 mid-term elections, it was the President himself who stepped up and declared that his party had received "a thumpin'". The Democratic defeats on Tuesday were not on anything like the same scale but Mr Obama acted as if nothing at all had happened.

Mr Obama had campaigned for Jon Corzine, New Jersey's Democratic governor, five times, twice just last Sunday. But when Mr Corzine lost by four points in a state Mr Obama won by 15 last year - a 19-point swing to Republicans - White House aides just shrugged.

In Virginia, which Mr Obama won by six points last year, prompting Democrats to declare an historic political realignment in the state, the Democratic candidate went down by 17 points in the biggest landslide since 1961 - a 23-point swing to the Grand Old Party.

It took Senator Mark Warner of Virginia to admit that his party "got walloped". For three days, Mr Obama maintained a studied silence about the results while his aides blamed them on local factors that had nothing to do with the President. And to think that it was Mr Bush who was always accused of being "in denial".

More serious perhaps was Mr Obama's strange disconnectedness over the Fort Hood massacre of 13 soldiers by an Army major and devout Muslim who opposed the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, had praised suicide bombing and shouted "Allahu Akbar" as he opened fire.

Maybe Mr Obama had been reading the American press, much of which somehow contrived to present the atrocity as a result of combat stress due to soldiers going on repeated war deployments (though Major Nadal Hasan had not been on any) and therefore, no doubt, Mr Bush's fault.

When the television networks cut to the President, viewers listened to him spend more than two surreal minutes talking to a gathering of Native Americans about their "extraordinary" and "extremely productive" conference, pausing to give a cheery "shout out" to a man named Dr Joe Medicine Crow. Only then did he briefly and mechanically address what had happened in Texas.

On Friday, when most of the basic facts were available, Mr Obama tried again. It was scarcely any better. He began by offering "an update on the tragedy that took place" - as if it was an earthquake and not a terrorist attack from an enemy within - and ended with a promise for more "updates in the coming days and weeks".

Completely missing was the eloquence that Mr Obama employs when talking about himself. Absent too was any sense that the President empathised with the families and comrades of those murdered.

It was a reminder that for the past 16 years Americans have had two Presidents who would often extemporise and express emotion. President Bill Clinton could certainly "feel your pain" while Mr Bush sometimes struggled to hold back tears. Mr Obama is more like President George Bush Snr, who famously communicated his concern for people by blurting out: "Message - I care."

The White House argues that Mr Obama was not on the ballot last week and there is therefore no need to fret. The problem with this complacency is that voters were angry about the state of the economy, which Mr Obama can't keep blaming on his predecessor. With unemployment now above 10 per cent, Mr Obama needs to show Americans that he can relate to what they're going through, and take responsibility.

It could do him good to show he has a bit of fire in his belly. Perhaps he might make a decision or two based on gut instinct and deep conviction. In other words, maybe he should try being a bit more like Mr Bush.

http://tinyurl.com/yfo7q29
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

ELE

The Anti-Christ is the president of the United States

Bush is a walk in the park compared to obama.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Senior Member ShockedinCalifornia's Avatar
    What would George W have done about the Ft. Hood massacre.....that's something I thought of right away.

Somehow I think he would have been publicly outraged.

April
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockedinCalifornia
    What would George W have done about the Ft. Hood massacre.....that's something I thought of right away.

Yes Bush is a different personality type and he appears more American in his responses and actions, however Obama and Bush have the same masters and the same agenda of one world government and globalism which leads to the demise of America as we know it.

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    Quote Originally Posted by April

Yes Bush is a different personality type and he appears more American in his responses and actions, however Obama and Bush have the same masters and the same agenda of one world government and globalism which leads to the demise of America as we know it.
    don't I know it ... both are treasonous in their actions

Even though he decided to keep the borders opened for 6 and 1/2 of the eight years he was in, I will say this. I feel that we were safer when he was in office. You can't tell me that we are as safe NOW.

Now, I do not believe that we are safe AT ALL.

April
    Quote Originally Posted by LegalUSCitizen
    Even though he decided to keep the borders opened for 6 and 1/2 of the eight years he was in, I will say this. I feel that we were safer when he was in office. You can't tell me that we are as safe NOW.

Now, I do not believe that we are safe AT ALL.
    If Bush had been allowed to continue his dictatorship we would be absolutely unsafe....anyone in power who wants one world government and is a globalist is very dangerous to America. Both Obama and Bush have alliance to the puppet masters not us.

Obama doesnt behave like an American. He cant even pretend to be one. He gives speeches all over the world apologizing for our country. His indiffernce during the Fort Hood shootings was obvious. He didnt even pretend to be upset that a Muslim murdered 13 soldiers and injured over 30. Words spilled out of his mouth but there was no feeling behind them. Lets face it, Obama is not one of us.
    Bush flew to Fort Hood immediately to give his condolences and soothe the soldiers and their family. That is what a good president would have done. Obama should have dropped everything to give the Fort Hood tragedy all of his attention. But again, Obama is not one of us.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Bush wouild have come out and not given a shout out. but instead make his first comments about fort hood.
    and he would have probably been there on Friday or over the weekend to see those who were injured

Few of our previous presidents have my respect as far as doing best for the American people, and it seems Bush played well into the arms of large corporations, while Obama seems to be trying to give every penny he can borrow from the Chinese and foreign nations to stupid social programs, with no questions about legality asked of the recipients.
    Republican or Democrat, they are only worried about raising enough money to be reelected, and the crap with those that cast their votes for a better future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast