Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Obama to Minority Journalists - Notes "Tragic" US

He wants REPARATIONS! His wife says "America is MEAN"...we can't allow these people to run the WH! This is NOT the kind of "CHANGE" we are looking for! The US just 'officially' apologized for the Jim Crow laws...what more does he want? He's worse than Jackson and Sharpton!

Obama notes ‘tragic’ US past

American history's "sad" aspects require action, the senator tells cheering journalists» $2,300 ticket for Aug. 12 fundraiser

By Laurie Au
    lau@starbulletin.com

CHICAGO » Sen. Barack Obama, speaking to a gathering of minority journalists yesterday, stopped short of endorsing an official U.S. apology to American Indians but said the country should acknowledge its history of poor treatment of certain ethnic groups.

"There's no doubt that when it comes to our treatment of Native Americans as well as other persons of color in this country, we've got some very sad and difficult things to account for," Obama told hundreds of attendees of UNITY '08, a convention of four minority journalism associations.

The Hawaii-born senator, who has told local reporters that he supports the federal recognition bill for native Hawaiians drafted by U.S. Sen. Daniel Akaka, noted other ethnic groups but did not mention native Hawaiians when answering a question about his thoughts on a formal U.S. apology to American Indians.

"I personally would want to see our tragic history, or the tragic elements of our history, acknowledged," the Democratic presidential hopeful said.

"I consistently believe that when it comes to whether it's Native Americans or African-American issues or reparations, the most important thing for the U.S. government to do is not just offer words, but offer deeds."

Obama, who appeared tired in his first major appearance since returning Saturday from a 10-day trip abroad, met with a receptive audience at the Chicago convention. Some journalists had waited three hours for the 40-minute appearance.

The group had expected Obama and Sen. John McCain to speak on Thursday night, but because of scheduling conflicts, only Obama could attend yesterday morning's talk.

When Obama walked on stage at the McCormick Center, many journalists in the audience leapt to their feet and applauded enthusiastically after being told not to do so. During a two-minute break halfway through the event, which was broadcast live on CNN, journalists ran to the stage to snap photos of Obama.

The Illinois senator talked about his trip overseas, reiterating his opinion that violence is down in Iraq but worsening in Afghanistan. And he expressed his approval of the Senate's passage of a major housing bill to help homeowners avert foreclosure.

Obama, who acknowledged that he needed a nap, stood up to say farewell to the audience of journalists, many of whom gave him another standing ovation.

Read all 1542

http://starbulletin.com/2008/07/28/news/story05.html

"I consistently believe that when it comes to whether it's Native Americans or African-American issues or reparations, the most important thing for the U.S. government to do is not just offer words, but offer deeds."
    "Deeds"? The US ended slavery, created affirmative action, the 14th amendment was created to give citizenship to slaves, and that's a few of the deeds.

I've never owned slaves, Obama was never a slave.

Is Obama trying to change us into a nation of wealthy"owners" and slaves? If it looks like a duck...
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

I consistently believe that when it comes to whether it's Native Americans or African-American issues or reparations, the most important thing for the U.S. government to do is not just offer words, but offer deeds."
    What the hell does this mean? What's a "deed" and how do we "offer" it?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by NoBueno
    I consistently believe that when it comes to whether it's Native Americans or African-American issues or reparations, the most important thing for the U.S. government to do is not just offer words, but offer deeds."
    A deed = Reparations! Taxpayer funded reparations!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Deeds"? The US ended slavery, created affirmative action, the 14th amendment was created to give citizenship to slaves, and that's a few of the deeds.

I've never owned slaves, Obama was never a slave.

I agree. Then I want reperations because my family was Irish and they were treated worse than slaves. And the list could go on.

We took action and I'll be darned if someone gets reperations simply because they are black. How would they know if they were actual decendants of slaves or not? They could have come another way. All slaves weren't mistreated either. Some were nothing less than a typical nanny and gardner is today. They were taught to read and respected.

Not to mention....world wide people had slaves and their African counterparts didn't cringe at selling them either. All slaves weren't just black either. The KKK wasn't developed for the sole purpose of hurting blacks either......they hung whites as well. Not trying to diminish what they went through.....but we took action and changed things. How many years have they been the majority of welfare, even though they were given the same oppertunity any of the rest of people had? How much money has this country sent to Africa to help there? I think we've more than made up for what was done. How many generations have to suffer for the acts of a few? If America is so mean then by god the door opens both ways.......they were "freed" ions ago and are free to go home. No shackles holding them here now.

Obama wasn't a slave, in fact his family owned some. Some of those "slaves" were what we would call farm help these days. Let the owners of them pay.

And yet here we are today with illegals volunteering to be slaves and we're still racist because we don't support it. Can't win.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanMe
    Why should my tax dollars go someone who was never enslaved, but merly shares the same skin color as those who were enslaved!

Further, I refuse to be held accountable for anything that hapend 150 years ago simply because I happen to share the same skin color as those who engaged in slavery!

Another government entitlement program based upon race! What a joke...

Why should my tax dollars go someone who was never enslaved, but merly shares the same skin color as those who were enslaved!

Further, I refuse to be held accountable for anything that hapend 150 years ago simply because I happen to share the same skin color as those who engaged in slavery!

They're already receiving 'reparation'...in the form of welfare checks, food stamps, HUD, MediCAID, and SSI! What more do they want????

They're already receiving 'reparation'...in the form of welfare checks, food stamps, HUD, MediCAID, and SSI! What more do they want????
    Let's not forget about affirmative action in which they receive preferential treatment based upon the color of their skin for purposes of college admissons...