Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Obama: Spike energy costs to make people go 'green'

2007 interview: Proposes government create 'price signals' to control behavior
    Posted: November 01, 2008
    7:05 pm Eastern

By Drew Zahn
    © 2008 WorldNetDaily

JOHNSTON, Iowa – In a recently publicized video from the Democratic primaries, Sen. Barack Obama said the government should drive energy bills up though "price signals" in order to force Americans into more environmentally friendly choices.

In the Nov. 9, 2007, interview on Iowa Public Television's "Iowa Press," Obama said Americans like driving SUVs and leaving the lights on, but since "it is undisputable that the climate is getting warmer," consumers would have to change their habits.

When asked what would make consumers change, Obama said government-created "price signals" would make people more mindful of energy costs and compel them to start changing light bulbs and turning off light switches.

Watch the video documentary, "Global Warming or Global Governance? What the media refuse to tell you about so-called climate change"

Associated Press reporter Mike Glover asked, "How do you convince people to change their lifestyle, to live differently?"

Obama's answer, viewable in the video below, was, "I think it is important for us to send some price signals to change behavior. You know, if electricity goes up, people start becoming more mindful of their electricity bill."

When Des Moines Register reporter David Yepsen asked Obama what part of his campaign Americans may not like to hear, the candidate returned to the theme of price signals.

"Number one, we're going to have to start doing a better job of conserving on energy," Obama said. "Americans like to drive their big SUVs. They like to leave all the lights on in their house. We're going to have to change our habits."

He then clarified how the government could implement the kind price signals that change consumer habits.

"We're going to have to cap the emission of greenhouse gases," Obama said. "That means that power plants are going to have to adjust how they generate power. They will pass on those costs to consumers. … A lot of us who can afford it are going to have to pay more per unit of electricity, and that means we're going to have to change our light bulbs, we're going to have to shut the lights off in our houses."

The full context of Obama's comments about driving up electricity prices to bring about consumer change can be viewed in a second segment of the interview below:

Internet bloggers that began circulating the video earlier today also lent their opinion on Obama's plan for consumer change.

"Is that the function of government — to fix prices as a punitive measure to change consumer behavior?" asked the Hot Air Blog. "It will be in an Obama administration. He and a few elites will decide which consumer behaviors are bad and penalize it with price signals."

New York Times columnist Thomas Friedman, however, commented in a May editorial on the issue of government-created price signals, arguing that a federal gasoline tax would be just the kind of energy "price signal" that would finally persuade Americans to give up their SUVs.

"We need to make a structural shift in our energy economy," Friedman wrote. "The only way to get from here to there is to start now with a price signal that will force the change.

"Barack Obama had the courage to tell voters that the McCain-Clinton summer gas-giveaway plan was a fraud. Wouldn't it be amazing if he took the next step and put the right plan before the American people? Wouldn't that just be amazing?" Friedman wrote.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php? ... geId=79758

Yeah that would be amazing...Also amazing when we have to stand in lines to buy toilet paper and soap. We are going to have to give up our piece of the pie so that Obama can make this change that we can believe in. Bull poo.
    We are NOT a nation of immigrants!

And I wonder just how much energy the Obama's big old house in Hyde Park used all winter long? I'll bet my lifestyle uses a fraction of his.
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I wonder what he has in mind for curbing obesity in this country? Perhaps "price signals" could slim down the waistlines?

Perhaps "price signals" could be used to deter abortions? What is the proper price of a life?

Perhaps "price signals" could apply to guns and ammo, and perhaps bibles? Afterall there must be a need to prevent Pennsylvanians from "clinging to their guns and religion."

Has political correctness morphed into another species, "price signals?" Evolution at its finest!

Just think about all of the fun one could have sending "price signals" around the world. No wonder capitalism has got to go.

Sure wish the Dems would just go back to their old ways,....."smoke signals."

somewhere awhile back I saw obama tell a group of people that americans would have to learn since they are only 3 % of world population that they would have to learn they can no longer TAKE 25% of the worlds resources-have not been able to find this tape again

He then clarified how the government could implement the kind price signals that change consumer habits.

"We're going to have to cap the emission of greenhouse gases," Obama said. "That means that power plants are going to have to adjust how they generate power. They will pass on those costs to consumers. … A lot of us who can afford it are going to have to pay more per unit of electricity, and that means we're going to have to change our light bulbs, we're going to have to shut the lights off in our houses."

Oh, I see. Obama has decided that HE will decide who has utilities and who does not by driving up the cost so high that most of us will not be able to afford it at all so will go without.

This will leave plenty of resources for those who CAN afford it, although they will have to trim back on their expenses by changing lightbulbs, etc.

And I also suppose that they will all continue to drive their big SUVs, limos, etc. while the rest of us walk, right?

Okay.....I think I've got it now.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

This idiot's punidhment approach proves to me all of the facists ideas about him are true. Bulllying the classes will cause resentment. Also punish us by not letting us drill, even though we have the cleanest technology for retrieving oil than any other nation that's out there pumping it. He's for driving up the price of oil..is he in kahoots with his middle eastern buddies?

An Obama Presidency will mean death to America

Quote Originally Posted by azwreath

Oh, I see. Obama has decided that HE will decide who has utilities and who does not by driving up the cost so high that most of us will not be able to afford it at all so will go without.

This will leave plenty of resources for those who CAN afford it, although they will have to trim back on their expenses by changing lightbulbs, etc.

And I also suppose that they will all continue to drive their big SUVs, limos, etc. while the rest of us walk, right?

Remember all the expense for the bike paths? We will have to ride our bikes on them to work [if our company can afford to remain open]
    "It is error alone that needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself".
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Dianer
    Quote Originally Posted by azwreath

Remember all the expense for the bike paths? We will have to ride our bikes on them to work [if our company can afford to remain open]
    Most of my work is 25 miles one way; I could just see me riding a bike 50 miles a day carrying my supplies on my back, while my truck sits in the drive way cause I could not sell it to save my aching back.

Plus, when Obama drives anywhere with his entourage they are in SUV's.
    <div>GOD - FAMILY - COUNTRY</div>

I live in hilly Western Pennsylvania, only 10 miles from work but I would be half dead by the time I reach work. I believe I would be nonproductive at my job.
    "It is error alone that needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself".
    Thomas Jefferson