Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

Obama Surges, Hillary Tears Up As Super Tuesday Looms

Obama Surges, Hillary Tears Up As Super Tuesday Looms

Monday, February 4, 2008 9:36 PM

A surging Barack Obama revved up for the historic "Super Tuesday" national nominating showdown by wiping out White House foe Hillary Clinton's once-gaping opinion poll leads.

Republican John McCain meanwhile refused to take surveys showing him headed for a comfortable victory in the 24-state voting marathon for granted, as top rival Mitt Romney tried to enlist conservatives in a late blocking maneuver.

Clinton, worn down by sleepless nights and days on the campaign trail, wiped a tear from her eye Monday as she visited Yale University, where her political journey started as an earnest 1970s student in bell-bottom pants.

"Well I said I would not tear up, already we are not exactly on the path," said Clinton, 60, in an emotional moment, as she battled Obama for votes in the northeastern states of Connecticut and Massachusetts.

Obama, 46, rocked a high-octane rally in New Jersey, a Clinton stronghold where he is increasingly competitive, showing few signs of fatigue and accusing his rival of being derisive about his soaring calls for change.

"If you will stand with me New Jersey, tomorrow, if you will vote for me, if you will cast off the fear and the doubt and the cynicism .... we will not just win in New Jersey, we will win all across this nation on Tuesday," said Obama, introduced to a 4,500 strong crowd by Hollywood icon Robert De Niro.

The cliffhanger Democratic race contrasted with signs that McCain would all but settle the Republican nominating fight Tuesday, to complete one of the most staggering comebacks in recent US political history.

"I'm guardedly optimistic," the Arizona senator told reporters in Massachusetts, the home state of his top rival Mitt Romney.

A USA Today poll gave McCain a 42 percent to 24 percent lead over Romney, with former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee on 18 percent.

But Romney refused to admit defeat. "This is going to come down to a real battle and I think I'm going to win it," he said at a campaign stop in Nashville, Tennessee on Monday.

"Super Tuesday" states account for more than half the Democratic delegates and almost half of Republican delegates at party conventions in August and September, which formally nominate candidates for November's general election.

There are 22 Democratic contests and 21 on the Republican side, with 19 states hosting nominating clashes for both parties.

A clutch of new polls showed the Democratic race a neck-and-neck struggle between two rivals bidding for history, as the first woman or African-American presidential nominee.

Clinton clung to a 45-44 point lead in a USA Today/Gallup national poll, while a CNN/Opinion Research national survey had her leading Obama 49 percent to 46 percent. A CBS/New York Times poll had the race deadlocked at 41 percent.

A significant battle was brewing in California, the biggest "Super Tuesday" prize, where Clinton has led for months, but Obama was drawing level, or even ahead in some polls.

A loss in California would be a hammer blow for the former first lady, though her campaign was banking on the fact that millions of people took advantage of early voting, before Obama's latest poll surge.

Clinton led the Illinois senator 53 to 39 percent in her home state New York in a new Quinnipiac University poll: the same survey had the race narrowing in neighboring New Jersey with the former first lady leading 48 to 43 percent.

Her campaign was not publicly rattled by the Obama surge.

"During this whole election the polls have been all over the map," Clinton spokesman Doug Hattaway told AFP. "There are battlegrounds stretching from Massachusetts to California, so it could be a real nail-biter."

The Obama campaign tried to downplay expectations.

"We fully expect Senator Clinton to earn more delegates on February 5, and also to win more states," said Obama campaign manager David Plouffe in a memo.

His aides believe a split of the spoils on Tuesday would put Obama in pole position for later contests in February and March.

The Democratic Party's system of proportionally allocating delegates means no clear winner may emerge from Tuesday's voting, and the historic Clinton-Obama race could drag on until at least March.

http://www.newsmax.com/headlines/super_ ... 70102.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Re: Obama Surges, Hillary Tears Up As Super Tuesday Looms

Quote Originally Posted by AirborneSapper7
    Obama Surges, Hillary Tears Up
    Again? Will she do this every time she loses a vote when President?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Geez, is she going to have a crying moment everytime something goes wrong. I think she is feeling the pressure that Obama might win in the polls tomorrow. This is ridiculous. She wants to play with the big boys but everytime she feels threatened or frustrated she cries. For pete's sake grow a pair!

I am against Hillary's run for Pres, but it should be pointed out that it was one tear that came from nostalgia and gratitude. She was being greeted by old friends. I don't think this proves she's unstable and I hate defending her but people are really jumping over this and I don't see the point. I've known quite a few people who show no emotion because they don't have sympathy for others. They are calm, collected ***holes. Let's judge people by their politics and not just dismiss them as "bullies" or "crybabies" over minor incidents.
    How many times have I heard "we can't elect a woman President - I mean what if she has PMS and pushes the nuke button?" Well my response is, what's men's excuse for all the wars and suffering this planet has seen?
    That said, I do believe she would be one of the worst presidents this country could elect - and that's saying a lot in this race.

Somebody was talking about a Obama ticket with Hillary as V.P......I would suggest Obama take out lots of Life Insurance....Hillary always gets what she wants...and she knows how to eliminate problems....
    The difference between an immigrant and an illegal alien is the equivalent of the difference between a burglar and a houseguest. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)