Obama's 'No I in Team' Syndrome

Posted by Bobby Eberle
October 5, 2009 at 7:19 am

Unemployment, health care, Afghanistan, rising debt, the economy... the issues facing this country are endless. And yet, what does Barack Obama do? He jets across the world (and his wife does too) to lobby for Chicago to host the Olympics in 2016. Never has an American president lobbied for the games, but Obama felt that this was the best use of his time because he could put his "Obama charm" to the test.

Well... the test failed, and with it, so did Chicago's hopes for the Olympics. Not only did Chicago not get picked, the city was the first one eliminated by the selection committee on Friday. Obama's ego may know no bounds, but the patience of the America people does have its limits. Seeing Obama on television over and over and over again is wearing thin. Having him give speech after speech, saying I, I, I and me, me, me is sending a strong message to America: It's all about him.

I wonder what the media must be thinking right now. After all, Obama is their rock star. According to them, the world loves Obama, right? Surely a personal appearance by Obama and the first lady would guarantee victory for him, right? Perhaps his sway and swagger aren't quite as appealing as members of the media think. As FOXNews.com notes, "If Obama can't sway Olympic officials, how can he wring concessions from Iran on its nuclear program, secure crucial support from allies to overhaul two wars or rebuild the U.S. image in the Middle East?"

Here's what the media and those on the left overlook.... Foreign countries have their own best interests at heart. They always have, and they always will. They may personally like one leader over the next, but they will still act the same way. In fact, given a leader who concedes and apologizes, many countries will simply see this as an opportunity to further their own agenda rather than making their own concessions.

Since taking office in January, Obama has made a number of gestures to the international community. He ordered the closing of the military detention facility at Guantanamo Bay, banned the torture of terrorist suspects and moved to address climate change and reduce nuclear weapons. He even delivered a high-profile speech to the Muslim world.

Still, the president doesn't have much to show for his efforts. Despite his global overtures, Obama has been rebuffed by international leaders for stimulus money, for additional troops in Afghanistan and now the Olympics.

"It shows how childish our understanding of international affairs is," political analyst Tucker Carlson told FOX News. "The idea that countries, because they like the president personally, will change their basic positions on things is absurd."

As George Will notes on "This Week," the speeches by Barack and Michelle Obama reveal much. Rather than put America first, Obama puts himself first. Instead of a big "O" as his logo, he should have a big "I."

George Will on Obamas' Olympic Quest: "It Was All About Them"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY9pkFTF ... r_embedded

His speech was the same old rhetoric. As noted in a glowing story in the left-wing Huffington Post:

After the Obamas' comments, the U.S. delegation fielded questions from committee members, and at one point the president jumped in to answer. He said he envisioned that the Chicago games would allow the United States to restore its image as a place that, at its best, is "open to the world."

He emphasized that the White House and the State Department would put their full weight behind making sure international visitors "feel welcome and will come away with the sense of the incredible diversity of the American people." And Americans, he said, will be reminded of their links to the rest of the world.

Always, always, always he's talking about "restoring" our image. Implying how bad American was as we continue to defend the world and fight terrorism. Also, I think it's safe to say that Americans don't need any more reminders of our links to the rest of the world. With left-wing schools, government, and Obama, the only thing we're not being reminded of is what it means to be an American.

Just to show you how CNN took the news that the Obama magic wasn't so magical, take a look at this clip as the first-round voting was announced:

Chicago Loses Olympic Bid; CNN Freaks Out: "WHAT!?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuE60mq0 ... r_embedded

Obama's rockstar status looks more like an 80s hair band playing at a local club down the street. Americans are growing weary of the "I" president, and his lobbying effort only shows that the world community never bought into it at all.

http://www.gopusa.com/theloft/?p=2002