Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Official: Pentagon to Alert National Guard Troops for Iraq

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,264 ... s/pentagon

Wonder if they will be allowed to carry guns to defend themselves?

Official: Pentagon to Alert National Guard Troops for Iraq Deployment
    Friday, April 06, 2007

WASHINGTON — Several National Guard brigades are expected to be notified soon that they could be sent to Iraq around the first of next year, according to a senior Defense Department official.

If their assignment to Iraq is ultimately approved by Defense Secretary Robert Gates, it would be the first time full Guard combat brigades were sent back to Iraq for a second tour.

The units would serve as replacement forces in the regular unit rotation for the war, and would not be connected to the recent military build-up for security operations in Baghdad. Gates is expected to sign the notices alerting the Guard troops shortly, said the official, who requested anonymity because the information has not yet been released.

"You will start to see reserve component forces coming back into the rotation," said the official, adding that the notices are being done now in order to give the Guard units as much time as possible to prepare.

Guard officials told The Associated Press in February that they had contingency plans to send at least two Guard combat brigades back to Iraq in 2008 for their second yearlong tour of duty.

While it is not clear yet which units would be alerted, they would likely include brigades that were among the first to go to Iraq early in the war. Some of those include brigades from North Carolina, Florida, Arkansas and Indiana.

Smaller units and individual troops from the Guard have already returned to Iraq for longer periods, and some active duty units have served multiple tours. A brigade is roughly 3,500 troops.

The troop alerts come as President Bush and Congress wrestle over legislation that would set timelines for troop withdrawals from Iraq. Nearly two months ago, Bush asked for more than $100 billion to pay for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan this year. Congress has approved the money, but the Senate added a provision also calling for most U.S. combat troops to be out of Iraq by March 31, 2008. The House version demands a September 2008 withdrawal. Bush has vowed to veto any legislation that includes such deadlines.

According to defense and Guard officials, the first Guard units could go as soon as late December with others following over the next six months. They would be sent only if commanders in Iraq determined the troops were needed.

About 270,000 of the more than 347,000 Army Guard soldiers have served in the Afghanistan and Iraq wars.

Gates said Thursday that the Pentagon's goal is to give reserve units five years at home for every year deployed. Earlier this year he announced that the reserves will now deploy as full units, and they will go for only 12 months at a time.

Guard units currently serve about 18 months for each tour of duty, including six months of training.

But Gates told Pentagon reporters that there will be a "transition period during which those guidelines would be violated and in which we would be unable, because of the troops commitments in Afghanistan and in Iraq, to meet those goals."

That transition period, he said, could last a year or two.

I'm So Torn About This Iraq Mess

I'm as pro military as anyone. I want to win. But I don't know what winning is there anymore. There are many definitions. We got rid of Hussein. They have had elections and elected a government. Will the Iraqis stop killing each other? Can we make them? I think most of them want the foreign terrorists out of their country. But I think many want us out of their country also. What if the Iraqi army can't or won't do the job they are supposed to do? How long do we stay? Meanwhile our National Guard keeps being sent over there, while we can't guard our own borders and can't respond to disasters like Hurricane Katrina. I don't claim to have the answers, but for some to say it's simple and victory is right around the corner, well they either see something many of us don't see or they just have an agenda to peddle.

We were flim flammed on this one. The battle cry was weapons of mass distruction, but yet to date, none have ever been found.

Then when the the questions started they were swept under the carpet, and it turned into the war on terror.

There was never any plan to stop terror, or else the whole region would be embroiled, and our Military men would have been given the green light to go all the way to victory. It can't be done one area at a time.

I don't want to sound like I believe in escalating this war, as I don't. I don't think we should have ever gotten the ball of wax rolling, as it is only about controlling the worlds oil reserves. As much as I dislike Sen. Kennedy, I think he was right when he said this was started by the Texas Mafia.

And since we control the country, and the oil fields, has the price of gas gone down like it was supposed to have? No, it has almost doubled since then. This was a war for greed in my honest best educated guess, and our loved ones are being used and abused to advance the rule of misguided power.

Now wait a sec and take a breath

Fact is that trucks & Russians were filmed BEFORE we moved into Baghdad driving hell bent for election into Syria carrying some not so nice stuff.

Oddly, this info was quickly squashed.

Try to keep in mind that it's a good thing to have Americans fighting with each other over propaganda, disinformation, etc. etc. It keeps us busy and drains our energy from seeing the big picture and fighting the BATTLE AT HAND..........NAU/SPP & AMNESTY.

Bush almost had his AMNESTY sealed when the doo doo hit the fan. The "agenda" got screwed up and short circuited in a very large way.
    This was counter productive to the CFR, Global cabal by now 6 years.
    His very first act was to meet with Foxy and shake hands on the deal 2 weeks after taking office.

Imho, falling into that trap is dangerous.

my 2 cents
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Reported yesterday, that China has first choice of the oil, along with another Country....I believe it was India....not too sure on that.

I don't care who gets their oil...I want our own oil...our own resources and our jobs back!
    Do not vote for Party this year, vote for America and American workers!

Quote Originally Posted by moosetracks
    Reported yesterday, that China has first choice of the oil, along with another Country....I believe it was India....not too sure on that.

I don't care who gets their oil...I want our own oil...our own resources and our jobs back!
    You've got that right, MOOSE!

But thanx to the dipwads, Cuba/China will be drilling only a spit off of our own coast. Isn't that a hoot
    Are these same mental midgets going to scream at the communists about GLOBAL WARMING & Environmental damage? {I have a bridge for sale}

OR

was this a result that these traitors KNEW about beforehand?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)