Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Officials Agonize Over New ID Laws

http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic ... 7701260462 -

Officials agonize over new ID laws

JOE MULLIN
    ASSOCIATED PRESS
    Posted: 1/26/2007

Officials agonize over new ID laws

Upcoming requirements for new, federally mandated drivers' licenses and identity cards, the "Real ID" program, may lead to chaos, including DMV wait times for Nevadans that could double, lawmakers were told Thursday.

"The frustration from our customers will be unprecedented," said Ginny Lewis, director of the state Department of Motor Vehicles. "DMVs across the country will exemplify bureaucracy at its finest."

To comply with the rules, Nevada drivers must go to DMV offices over a four-year period beginning in 2008 to get new, Real ID-compliant licenses. They'll need to bring original birth certificates, Social Security cards and proof of lawful Nevada residence, Lewis said. A passport won't help, since passports don't always have legal names on them.

The "Real ID Act of 2005," which President Bush signed as part of an emergency appropriation to fund the Iraq war, will require that Nevada produce new driver's licenses or ID cards with photos that can be read by facial-recognition technology.

A draft of the new rules should be available by March, which will make it clear exactly what states need to do to comply, said Lewis. The federal government is expected to spend $11 billion to implement the law.

Lewis projected that the cost of compliance in Nevada will be about $66 million over the next four years.

The DMV will have to add nearly 200 new workers to reissue all the ID's under the new requirements. Most of those workers, who will be subject to more pre-employment screening, including credit checks, will be needed to extend the hours of DMV offices around the state, and could be phased out after Nevadans get their new ID cards.

But even with extra workers and offices open 12 hours a day or longer, the law's extensive security requirements will make wait times grow, said Lewis.

"I know we're going to have customers that say, I can't come up with my birth certificate," Lewis told a legislative budget committee. "I hope the federal government will give us some kind of latitude."

"I doubt it," said Assemblyman Morse Arberry, D-Las Vegas, a co-chairman of the committee. "I'm glad I'm not in your shoes."

If Nevada doesn't meet the Real ID requirements, residents won't be able to use their ID to get on an airplane, or enter a federal building.

Asked whether Congress might change the law, Lewis said there was a competing bill in play that could tone down the Real ID requirements.

"The fact that Real ID was buried in appropriations and received no hearing is starting to get the attention of Congress," said Lewis.

But for now, Lewis said she has to assume that beginning in May 2008, her department will have to comply with the new law.

The source for the additional Real ID funding would be the highway fund, said Lewis. Nevada Department of Transportation officials already are projecting a $3.8 billion shortfall in highway projects they say are needed over the next decade.

Budget committee members expressed some shock at the law's extensive requirements.

"Before you jump all over Ms. Lewis, remember that she didn't pass this law," said state Sen. Bill Raggio, R-Reno, the budget panel's other co-chairman. "Write to your congressman. I guess if you want to blame someone, blame Osama bin Laden and his gang of terrorists."
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I guess if you want to blame someone, blame Osama bin Laden and his gang of terrorists."
    I think I would be more apt to blame the open borders than Osama. Americans HAVE birth certificates and social security numbers.
    We are NOT a nation of immigrants!