Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Officials warned NAFTA trucks threatened bridge

Officials warned NAFTA trucks threatened bridge
    Increasing traffic from international trade placed undue stress on Minneapolis span
    Posted: August 7, 2007
    1:00 a.m. Eastern

By Jerome R. Corsi
    © 2007 WorldNetDaily.com

Interstate 35W bridge in Minneapolis after collapse Wednesday (Courtesy St. Paul Pioneer Press)
    Public officials in Minnesota had been warned that increasing truck traffic from international trade was placing an undue stress on the state's transportation infrastructure, including specific warnings concerning the now-collapsed bridge over the Mississippi on Interstate 35W in Minneapolis.

As WND reported, a Federal Highway Administration study begun in 1998 warned increased NAFTA truck traffic would endanger Minnesota bridges along I-35.

A separate study by the Minnesota Department of Transportation, or MNDOT, published in May 2005 – a "Minnesota Statewide Freight Plan" – identified the need to improve bridge and pavement deficiencies affecting trucks.

The MNDOT website also archives a June 2006 "Fractural Critical Bridge Study" that recommended replacing Bridge #9340 ("Squirt Bridge"), the now collapsed span on I-35W in Minneapolis.

(Story continues below)

Before collapsing, the bridge was not under any restrictions, despite multiple reports of deficiencies. Overweight trucks were permitted to carry loads of up to 136,000 pounds on the interstate.

Estimates are that the collapsed I-35W bridge carried 144,000 vehicles per day, including 4,760 commercial vehicles.

Internal documents from MNDOT and the Dallas-based trade organization NASCO – North America's Supercorridor Coalition – show the Minnesota agency joined NASCO to help deal with the strain NAFTA and other world trade freight loads were placing on the state's I-35 infrastructure, including support to repair the Minneapolis bridge.

In a Feb. 15, 2006, letter, Abigail McKenzie, director of the MNDOT Office of Investment Management, wrote to Melvin identifying a list of approximately 100 MNDOT requests for NASCO to assist with finding funding for the years 2007-14, including a request for $3 million to "replace overlay, joints, repair anti-icing, etc." on the I-35W bridge.

A July 19, 2006, memo written by Brad Larsen, MNDOT federal relations manager, to the MNDOT division directors stressed several benefits of joining NASCO, including the possibility of help to lobby for additional discretionary federal highway funds.

Larson's letter also pointed out NASCO state membership typically cost $50,000 a year, but NASCO had allowed Oklahoma to join for $25,000, and Larson believed he could get a special exemption allowing Minnesota to join NASCO for only $15,000 a year.

To further induce MNDOT to join, Larsen noted NASCO's executive director, Tiffany Melvin, had offered MNDOT two positions on the NASCO board of directors.

A Dec. 16, 2006 letter from Melvin to MNDOT acknowledged receiving MNDOT $15,000 fee to become a NASCO member.

The file indicates MNDOT internal support to join NASCO was far from universal.

In a March 7, 2006, memo, Robert Gale, an MNDOT planner, wrote, "I do not see that Mn/DOT has much, if anything, to gain by giving these people $50,000 or $25,000 or anything for that matter." He continued, "I would say we should save the state's money for more worthwhile endeavors than this group has to offer."

There is no record in the file that NASCO was ever able to assist MNDOT with the $3 million request to repair the I-35W bridge.

International trade dramatically increases traffic

Truck traffic carries the vast majority of international trade. According to the FHWA, in 2002, trucks carried 797 million tons of international shipments, valued at approximately $1.2 trillion. By 2035, trucks are projected to carry 2.1 billion tons of international freight, valued at approximately $6.2 trillion.

By contrast, rail, the second largest carrier of international freight, is expected to grow from 200 million tons in 2002 to 397 million tons in 2025. The value of international shipments carried by rail is projected to grow from $114 billion in 2002 to $275 billion in 2035.

The FHWA estimates Minnesota is experiencing what is expected to be an 84.3 percent increase in truck tonnage on the state's highways from 1998 to 2020.

FHWA reports leave no doubt truck traffic is particularly damaging to U.S. bridge and highway infrastructure and that international trade is projected to increase traffic dramatically on U.S. highways.

The FHWA estimates trucks are responsible for 40 percent of FHWA program costs but account for less than 10 percent of total vehicle miles traveled.

A frequently cited road test conducted by the American Association of State Highway Officials established that it takes 9,600 cars to cause the road damage caused by one fully-loaded, 80,000-pound truck.

Even though subsequent research has refined the estimate, the overall disproportionate road damage by heavily loaded trucks, including damage to bridges, is well established.

With growing truck traffic carrying more international trade, the FHWA concludes, "Clearly, more traffic is moving over essentially the same infrastructure."

Between 1980 and 2002, the FHWA reports truck travel grew by more than 90 percent, while lane-miles of public roads increased by only 5 percent.

The FHWA openly admits, "The creation of NAFTA has fostered north-south traffic, placing more demands on the domestic transportation system."

As WND has reported, the importance of international trade to I-35 has resulted in the interstate being designated as the "NAFTA Superhighway," even by prominent trade associations such as NASCO.

Are you a representative of the media who would like to interview the author of this story? Let us know.

Related offers:

Get a first-edition copy of Jerome Corsi's "The Late Great USA" autographed for only $19.95 today

Get "Taking America Back," Joseph Farah's manifesto for sovereignty, self-reliance and moral renewal

Get Tom Tancredo's new book, "In Mortal Danger," from the people who published it – WND Books

Previous stories:

NAFTA Superhighway traffic tied to bridge collapse

Bridge collapse no freak accident

Now Cheney chimes in: Ain't no superhighways

Traffic ticket data shipped to Mexico

Government policy set by businesses?

OKC mayor washes hands of North American Union

Secret memo: One-world agenda dominates SPP summit

10,000 protesters expected at North America summit

Bill paves way for Canada's 'disappearance'

Protesters to converge on North America summit

U.S. taxpayers to pay for Mexican repairs

Commerce chief pushes for 'North American integration'

Idaho lawmakers want out of SPP

House resolution opposes North American Union

Residents of planned union to be 'North Americanists'

Congressman battles North Americanization

North American Union leader says merger just crisis away

'Bush doesn't think America should be an actual place'

Mexico ambassador: We need N. American Union in 8 years

Congressman: Superhighway about North American Union

'North American Union' major '08 issue?

Resolution seeks to head off union with Mexico, Canada

Documents reveal 'shadow government'

Tancredo: Halt 'Security and Prosperity Partnership'

North American Union threat gets attention of congressmen

Top U.S. official chaired N. American confab panel

N. American students trained for 'merger'

North American confab 'undermines' democracy

Attendance list North American forum

North American Forum agenda

North American merger topic of secret confab

Feds finally release info on 'superstate'

Senator ditches bill tied to 'superstate'

Congressman presses on 'superstate' plan

Feds stonewalling on 'superstate' plan?

Cornyn wants U.S. taxpayers to fund Mexican development

No EU in U.S.

U.S.-Mexico merger opposition intensifies

Tancredo confronts 'superstate' effort

Bush sneaking North American superstate without oversight?

Jerome R. Corsi is a staff reporter for WND. He received a Ph.D. from Harvard University in political science in 1972 and has written many books and articles, including his latest best-seller, "The Late Great USA." Corsi co-authored with John O'Neill the No. 1 New York Times best-seller, "Unfit for Command: Swift Boat Veterans Speak Out Against John Kerry." Other books include "Showdown with Nuclear Iran," "Black Gold Stranglehold: The Myth of Scarcity and the Politics of Oil," which he co-authored with WND columnist Craig. R. Smith, and "Atomic Iran."

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/artic ... E_ID=57029
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

It will be intersting to see how fast they rebuild that bridge. Katrina never saw so much help as this bridge is.
    <div>''Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
    -- John Wayne</div>

Oh, I think we will be hearing that our present infrastructure just can't handle all the traffic and therefore, we need to build that big old super highway.

Hmmmmmmm?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Senior Member BorderLegionnaire's Avatar
    You want to see crummy infrastructure? Come and drive on the highways and bridges/tunnels in the New York Metro Area! Take a spin on the LIE during rush hour and watch how it takes 3 hours to go 20miles! Drive on our aging bridges that were designed for traffic patterns from the 1970's! Our mass transit network to is a joke which is over crowded and overpriced! All the bridges are overused from its projected safe usage and finally live on Long Island if these crossings collapse or are to unsafe to cross how are we going to live in emergencies? During 9/11 we were trapped the only was off was the Port Jefferson or the Orient Point Ferries which are not that close to the major population of the Island!
    Our country's founders cherished liberty, not democracy.
    -Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by nntrixie
    Oh, I think we will be hearing that our present infrastructure just can't handle all the traffic and therefore, we need to build that big old super highway.

Hmmmmmmm?
    Yes, but they want it to be toll roads run by companies controlled by foreign interests.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Oh, goodness, don't tell me about that. My daughter and SIL live in NYC. They live in Manhattan and he works in NJ. I want them out of there - yesterday.

Oh, that tunnel under the river!!!!!!!!!!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Senior Member BorderLegionnaire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nntrixie
    Oh, goodness, don't tell me about that. My daughter and SIL live in NYC. They live in Manhattan and he works in NJ. I want them out of there - yesterday.

Oh, that tunnel under the river!!!!!!!!!!
    Yes there is 4 tunnels in NYC Brooklyn Battery, the Queens Midtown, Holland and the Lincoln tunnels... And a bunch of rail tunnels running under both the Hudson and East rivers carrying the PATH and MTA/LIRR/MNRR/NJT/Amtrak respectively... All transit networks are at or over capacity in the Metro Area NY!

And trust me I want out of here too!!! I've lived in a heavily populated suburban area but I like smaller towns and open country! I love PA or rural New Jersey!
    Our country's founders cherished liberty, not democracy.
    -Ron Paul

They should build another one just like the other one right on the Mexican crossing point for the new NAU trucking travesty.