OK City students to learn about 'old, dead white men'?

By The Scribe October 7, 2010 7:24 AM
51 Comments

I don't know about you but I'm getting really tired of hearing about the crazy ideas in what passes for education these days. Worse than hearing about it, our children are being subjected to these ideas in schools as though they were lab rats. Here's the latest version of it to cross my desk.

The Oklahoma City public school district is taking a second look at a plan to teach at-risk students using rap and hip-hop after receiving complaints over one lesson referring to the founding fathers as "old dead white men."

The program, known as Flocabulary, is an educational tool that uses rap and hip-hop music to help students learn and memorize basic principles of vocabulary, reading, writing, social studies, math and science. The district was authorized to spend $97,000 in federal funds on the program and has already spent $10,000, NewsOK.com reported. http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/10/06/ok ... g-fathers/

Are you kidding me? Old Dead White Men??? Our Founders? Everyone in a position of authority in this school district should be fired immediately. Look at the lyrics of one of the Rap songs to be used in this program.

One particularly controversial song entitled "Old Dead White Men,"describes President James Monroe's presidential term by saying: "White men getting richer than Enron. They stepping on Indians, women and blacks. Era of Good Feeling doesn't come with the facts."

"Andrew Jackson thinks he's a tough guy. Killing more Indians than there are stars in the sky. Evil wars of Florida killing the Seminoles. Saying hello, putting Creek in the hell holes. Like Adolf Hitler he had the final solution. 'No, Indians, I don't want you to live here anymore."

Flocabulary CEO and co-founder Alex Rappaport says that the lyrics are meant to keep students engaged and promote discussion. According to the Flocabulary website, its programs are being used in more than 10,000 schools nationwide and are "proven to increase student motivation."

What?? Flocabulary?? What the heck is Flocabulary and why should American parents want their students to learn the hateful trash in that rap song?

The description on their website says, "Flocabulary is a small educational publishing company with a strong commitment to making a positive social impact."

Those lyrics didn't sound very positive to me. Beyond that, I think our children have had enough social impact. How about some good old fashioned instruction that will give them some English, math and science impact for a change? Rap isn't spoken in the real world where these students will be expected to earn their living.

If this really is in 10,000 schools across the nation it may well be in your child's school. What are you going to do about it?

http://www.gopusa.com/fresh-ink/2010/10 ... te-men.php