Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Parents furious over content of elementary school yearbook

I went to this school k-5, so I had to post. Could you imagine explaining things to your child? This is an ELEMENTARY school.

By JONATHAN BETZ / WFAA-TV

KELLER - What could be controversial about a yearbook for elementary school children?

The contents of one page have parents and the school district outraged.

Crystal Behl now keeps her son far away from his school yearbook.

"I put it up, he's not allowed to see it," she said.

That's because inside the year-in-review section there is a small photo and caption about Connecticut approving same-sex marriages.

The actual caption and photo are innocent on their own, she said, like what you'd find in any newspaper.

The difference is the subject and it being delivered to such young children.

The books went to students, ranging from pre-kindergarten to fourth graders, at Keller's Parkview Elementary.

"I have a six and seven-year-old that know how to read, and they're going to come to me when they don't even know what sex is, and they want to know what same-sex marriage is," said Saundra Taylor, a grandparent.

The Keller school district agreed, calling the article inappropriate.

The school's PTA chose the publishing company and approved the books, but admits the news section was never screened, mainly, administrators say, because it's printed at the last minute and inserted later.

The publisher, Inter-State Studios, guaranteed it would be elementary-aged appropriate.

"I don't see how, what benefit it would have for an elementary school yearbook," said Behl.

News 8 was not able to get a response from Inter-State but the district is now encouraging angry parents to remove the page.

"I shouldn't have to screen the yearbook, like I would a computer. It's an elementary school yearbook," said Behl.

The book brings up a mature subject, not yet ready for her kids to face.

E-mail jbetz@wfaa.com.

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/w ... 96c9f.html
    We see so many tribes overrun and undermined

While their invaders dream of lands they've left behind

Better people...better food...and better beer...

Why move around the world when Eden was so near?
    -Neil Peart from the song Territories&

These yearbook producers are absolutely disgusting. Babysitting a local six-year-old, she asked me about a commercial about ED that came on in the middle of the day. She had no idea what a defunken was, and I told her that her mother would probably know--but she said mom didn't know either.
    These kids get exposed to more than they are ready to absorb or understand, and while a commercial may be fleeting, a yearbook is permanently in print and lasts a lot longer than the commercial. The people that allowed this in should be tarred, feathered and deported.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)