Patrick Henry’s Speech
4Share

A POST-MODERN VERSION by Don Stevens (Mar. 21, 2011) — No man thinks more highly than I do of peace. But different men see the same subject in different lights. Therefore, it is not disrespectful to peace-loving gentlemen to express an opinion opposite to them. The time for mincing words has passed. The pandering of [...]

A POST-MODERN VERSION

by Don Stevens

Patrick Henry was vocal in condemning corruption in government and advocating a break with Great Britain

(Mar. 21, 2011) — No man thinks more highly than I do of peace. But different men see the same subject in different lights. Therefore, it is not disrespectful to peace-loving gentlemen to express an opinion opposite to them. The time for mincing words has passed. The pandering of those in Congress to moderates and liberals is shameful when seen in the light of how our precious Constitution and its promise of freedom to all has been disregarded; the prosperity of subsequent generations legislated away! This is no longer a question of politics. These atrocities are nothing less than a bold move against individual freedom and a frontal assault made by an enemy intent on enslaving us! The proportion to the magnitude of the problem ought to determine the volume and heat of the debate. It is only in this way that we can hope to arrive at truth and fulfill the great responsibility that we hold dear to God and country. Should I hold back my fierce opposition because I fear giving offense? To do so makes me guilty of treason and disloyal to the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly authority and common courtesy!

Mr. de facto President, Supreme Court Justices, and Congress, it is natural for man to shut his eyes against painful truths. Yet, should this be the path of patriots when engaged in a struggle to preserve liberty? Are we disposed to be of the number of those who have eyes and see not; have ears, yet hear not? For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it costs me, I MUST seek the whole truth, and finding it, make provision for it.

I have but one lamp that guides my feet! It is the lamp of experience. I know of no way to judge the future than by the past. And judging your past actions, I see NO hope and NO trust I can afford you. Instead of complying with all requests for proof of this Usurper’s authority and loyalty to Country and Constitution, you brand us enemies, imprison us, and make preparations to escalate this war against us. Your agents invade our homes, confiscate our private businesses, bankrupt our individual states, and consume all personal liberties! Is police force necessary to your stated desire to work with us? We do not deceive ourselves. These are implements of war and subjugation; the last argument to which despots resort. I ask you, what means this martial array? Is its purpose not to force us into submission?

We have done everything we can to avert the storm that is coming. We have petitioned; we have remonstrated; we have supplicated; we have prostrated ourselves before your throne, and implored its interposition to arrest the tyrannical hands of the impostor President and those in Congress and those in the Judiciary who violated their oaths of office. Our petitions are slighted; our remonstrations insulted; our supplications disregarded; and all spurned with contempt, from the foot of your throne! In vain, we indulged a fond hope for resolution. Now, there is no room for hope. If we wish to remain free–if we mean to preserve inviolate those inestimable privileges for which we have been so long contended–if we mean not basely to abandon the noble struggle in which we have been so long engaged, and to which we have pledged our lives to never abandon–we must fight! I repeat it, we must fight! An appeal to arms and to the God of hosts is all you have left us!

Everyone tells us we are without authority to act in our defense; that government is too formidable an adversary. But when will we be stronger? Will it be the next week, or the next year? Will it be when you have totally disarmed us and stationed an international coalition force in every city? Shall we gather said needed strength by our continued irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging this delusive phantom of hope that this Usurper, this Congress, or this Supreme Court will rise to our defense, until you have bound us hand, foot, and mouth?

We are not weak if we make a proper use of those means which the God of nature has placed in our power. Millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as we currently possess, are an invincible force against all enemies that you will send against us. Besides, we will not fight this battle alone. There is a just God who presides over the destinies of nations and who will raise His powerful hand to fight with us in this, our just cause. The battle, sir, is not against flesh and blood alone. The battle is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the active and the brave.

We have no election we can trust. We have no one among you willing to take up our cause and we cannot retire from the contest, lest it be too late for the survival of our nation. Retreat offers only continued submission and enslavement to you! And we know our chains have already been forged! We hear the clanking in the distance! We know you are coming for us! We know war is inevitable—so let it come! I repeat it, to you all, let it come.

It is in vain to extenuate this matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace– but there is no peace. The war has already begun! The next gale that sweeps across our fair land will bring to your ears the clash of resounding arms! Our brothers are already in the field! Do you think we will stand here idle? Is that what gentlemen and peace-loving patriots do? Can more be done? Can more be said? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!

© 2011, The Post & Email. All rights reserved internationally, unless otherwise specified. To read more on our copyright restrictions, see our Copyright notice on the subheader of every page, along the left margin.

http://www.thepostemail.com/2011/03/21/ ... ys-speech/

Kathyet