Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Pentagon to implant microchips in soldiers

Pentagon to implant microchips in soldiers

Adam Thomas
    Press Esc
    Monday July 30, 2007

The Department of Defense is planning to implant microchips in soldiers' brains for monitoring their health information, and has already awarded a $1.6 million contract to the Center for Bioelectronics, Biosensors and Biochips (C3B) at Clemson University for the development of an implantable "biochip".

Soldiers fear that the biochip, about the size of a grain of rice, which measures and relays information on soldiers vital signs 24 hours a day, can be used to put them under surveillance even when they are off duty.

But Anthony Guiseppi-Elie, C3B director and Professor of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering and Bioengineering claims the that the invivo biosensors will save lives as first responders to the trauma scene could inject the biochip into the wounded victim and gather data almost immediately.

He believes that the device has other long-term potential applications, such as monitoring astronauts’ vital signs during long-duration space flights and reading blood-sugar levels for diabetics.

“We now lose a large percentage of patients to bleeding, and getting vital information such as how much oxygen is in the tissue back to ER physicians and medical personnel can often mean the difference between life and death,â€
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

We are next. They won't be chiping any illegals. That way Bush can round us up easier and put us in concentration camps.
    <div>''Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
    -- John Wayne</div>

What body part are they going to put the chip in that won't get blown away in combat? With dog tags if you lose them you are dead anyway. Plus with dog tags they cannot track you when off duty! Why not put the chip on dog tags?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MW
    I don't see this happening in the next 10 years unless it's voluntary. Just my opinion............

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

This story does not address the soldiers' objections to this. I wonder what they would have to say about this.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    I don't see this happening in the next 10 years unless it's voluntary. Just my opinion............
    "The researcher predicts the biochip is five years away from human trials, and the DoD could start implanting microchips in soldiers bodies soon after."

When you volunteer for the military, do you have a choice of hairstyles? Can you object to the color of the uniform, the size of weapon you are issued, what vaccines they give you? Would the Did really care if the soldiers objected?
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

In 1976, I was in the Air Force. I was told to accept the 'Swine flu' shot or be disiplined and still have to take the shot. I took the shot and got real sick for 3 days and everyone in my shop that took the shot also got sick. I was last because I held out..thinking that the govt had no right to demand that I let them inject anything into my body..well..I was wrong. Troops have to be inoculatedanyway in order to deploy unless they are up to date. It would seem that if they can inoculate, they can implant. I guess I answered my own question. But there's a difference between inoculate and implant. Something just isn't right about the govt having the right to do this to its own troops. Are they to be used as ginney pigs for any pet project? I guess so.

I remember people died from that shot and the swine flu never happened.
    <div>''Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
    -- John Wayne</div>

MW
    jp_48504 wrote:

When you volunteer for the military, do you have a choice of hairstyles? Can you object to the color of the uniform, the size of weapon you are issued, what vaccines they give you? Would the Did really care if the soldiers objected?
    I served over 20 years in the military, and I stand by my original statement. This is a humans right issue. You can't compare inserting a semi-permanent foreign object in a persons body to a haircut style, color of uniform, weapon size, etc. No, this will not happen anytime soon unless on a volutary basis.

Now, with that said, I could see it happening on a temporary basis during a special combat mission, secret operation, etc. I can also picture it being used to monitor astronauts health during a mission. I just don't think we'll see the day that every active duty military member will be walking around with a monitoring/tracking chip physically inserted into their body. Like I said earlier, this is just my opinion.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Microchip implants spark privacy worry

Security measure may lead to tracking

By Todd Lewan | Associated Press
    July 30, 2007

CityWatcher.com, a provider of surveillance equipment, attracted little notice until a year ago, when two of its employees had glass-encapsulated microchips with miniature antennas embedded in their forearms.

The "chipping" of two workers with RFIDs -- radio frequency identification tags -- as long as two grains of rice and as thick as a toothpick, was merely a way of restricting access to vaults that held sensitive data and images for police departments, a layer of security beyond key cards and clearance codes, the company said.

"To protect high-end secure data, you use more sophisticated techniques," said Sean Darks, chief executive of the Cincinnati-based company. He compared chip implants to retina scans or fingerprinting. "There's a reader outside the door. You walk up to the reader, put your arm under it, and it opens the door."

Innocuous? Maybe.

But the news that Americans had, for the first time, been injected with electronic identifiers to perform their jobs fired up a debate over the proliferation of ever-more-precise tracking technologies and their ability to erode privacy in the digital age.

To some, the microchip was a wondrous invention, a high-tech helper that could increase security at nuclear plants and military bases, help authorities identify wandering Alzheimer's patients and allow consumers to buy their groceries with the wave of a chipped hand.

To others, the notion of tagging people was Orwellian, a departure from centuries of history in which people had the right to go and do as they pleased, without being tracked, unless they were harming someone else.

Chipping, these critics said, might start with Alzheimer's patients or Army Rangers, but would eventually be suggested for convicts, then parolees, then sex offenders, then illegal aliens -- until one day a majority of Americans, falling into one category or another, would find themselves electronically tagged.

The concept of making all things traceable isn't alien to Americans. Thirty years ago, the first electronic tags were fixed to the ears of cattle to permit ranchers to track a herd's reproductive and eating habits. In the 1990s, millions of chips were implanted in livestock, fish, dogs, cats, even racehorses.

Microchips are now fixed to car windshields as toll-paying devices. They are embedded in Michelin tires, library books, passports, work uniforms, luggage, and, unbeknownst to many consumers, on a host of individual items, from Hewlett-Packard printers to Sanyo TVs, at Wal-Mart and Best Buy.

But CityWatcher.com employees are not appliances or pets.

"It was scary that a government contractor that specialized in putting surveillance cameras on city streets was the first to incorporate this technology in the workplace," said Liz McIntyre, co-author of "Spychips: How Major Corporations and Government Plan to Track Your Every Move with RFID."

Darks, the CityWatcher.com executive, dismissed his critics, noting that he and his employees had volunteered to be chip-injected. Any suggestion that a sinister, Big Brother-like campaign was afoot, he said, was hogwash.

In post-9/11 America, electronic surveillance comes in myriad forms: in a gas station's video camera, in a radio tag attached to a supermarket shopping cart, in a Porsche automobile equipped with a LoJack anti-theft device.

"We're really on the verge of creating a surveillance society in America, where every movement, every action -- some would even claim, our very thoughts -- will be tracked, monitored, recorded and correlated," said Barry Steinhardt, director of the Technology and Liberty Program at the American Civil Liberties Union in Washington.

VeriChip Corp., whose parent company has been selling radio tags for animals for more than a decade, has sold 7,000 microchips worldwide, of which about 2,000 have been implanted in humans. More than one-tenth of those have been in the U.S., generating "nominal revenues," the company acknowledged in a Securities and Exchange Commission filing in February.

Although in five years VeriChip has yet to turn a profit, it has been investing heavily, as much as $2 million a quarter, to create new markets.

The company's present push: tagging of "high-risk" patients such as diabetics and people with heart conditions or Alzheimer's disease.

Recently, there have been rumors on Wall Street and elsewhere of the potential uses for RFID in humans: the chipping of U.S. soldiers, of inmates, or of migrant workers, to name a few.

To date, none of this has happened. But a large-scale chipping plan that was proposed illustrates the stakes, pro and con.

In mid-May, a protest outside the Alzheimer's Community Care Center in West Palm Beach, Fla., drew attention to a 2-year study in which 200 Alzheimer's patients, along with their caregivers, were to receive chip implants. Parents, children and elderly people decried the plan, with signs and placards.

The media attention sent VeriChip's stock soaring 27 percent in one day.

"VeriChip offers technology that is absolutely bursting with potential," wrote blogger Gary Sattler, of the AOL site Bloggingstocks, even as he recognized privacy concerns.

As the polemic heats up, legislators are increasingly being drawn into the fray. Two states, Wisconsin and North Dakota, recently passed laws prohibiting the forced implantation of microchips in humans. Others -- Ohio, Oklahoma, Colorado and Florida -- are studying similar legislation.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... 0663.story
    MW, Social Security was once voluntary and now most states are making it mandatory for newborns to be automatically enrolled. So much for being voluntary. This technology will be widely used and will be as common as the cameras watching us daily.

They are doing it to the elderly as a test, how long before they want to start chipping all of us for our safety and security?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast