Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Poll: Michelle Obama's $540 tennis shoes

First Lady Michelle Obama steps out in Lanvin sneakers and they're only $540!

BY Amy Diluna
    DAILY NEWS FASHION EDITOR

Friday, May 1st 2009, 9:25 AM

Michelle Obama has taken casual to a haute new level.

While volunteering Wednesday at a D.C. food bank, the First Lady sported her usual J.Crew cardigan, a pair of utilitarian capri pants and, on her feet, a sneaky splurge: trainers that go for $540.

That's right: These sneakers - suede, with grosgrain ribbon laces and metallic pink toe caps - are made by French design house Lanvin, one of fashion's hottest labels. They come in denim and satin versions, and have been a brisk seller all spring.

They're out of stock at posh Meatpacking District boutique Jeffrey, and Barneys New York boasts a limited selection of the sneaks, which are a cult favorite among fashionistas.

It's likely Michelle got hers through Ikram, the Chicago retailer that often outfits her.

"They're shoes," the First Lady's reps sniffed when curious reporters inquired about the fancy footwear.

Michelle has stepped out in Lanvin before while getting down to business. A week ago, she shoveled dirt at a tree planting while wearing the line's chiffon tank.

Dresses and strappy pumps cost upward of $1,500, while tops go for $400 to $1,000.

Other celebrity fans of Lanvin's costly kicks include Ellen DeGeneres and Kanye West, who has blogged about his faves.

As the family's primary dog walker, Michelle clearly requires comfortable footwear.

"I got up at 5:15 in the morning to walk my puppy," she joked Thursday. "That's how my day starts. Even though the kids are supposed to do a lot of the work, I'm still up at 5:15 a.m. taking my dog out."

She'll be trodding on New York's sidewalks Tuesday for the first time as First Lady. Michelle will meet with staff at the U.S. mission to the United Nations. Later, she headlines Time magazine's "100 most influential people" gala.

adiluna@nydailynews.com

POLL:

What do you think of Michelle Obama's $540 sneakers?

*They're in poor taste. That's way too much to spend on sneakers, especially in a recession. 77%
    *The First Lady should look good, and she can afford it. If the sneakers make her happy, there's nothing wrong with it. 23%

http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/fa ... anvin.html
    Certified Member
    The Sons of the Republic of Texas

Poll Results

Thank you for voting.

They're in poor taste. That's way too much to spend on sneakers, especially in a recession. 77%
    The First Lady should look good, and she can afford it. If the sneakers make her happy, there's nothing wrong with it. 23%
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

They're in poor taste. That's way too much to spend on sneakers, especially in a recession. 77%
    The First Lady should look good, and she can afford it. If the sneakers make her happy, there's nothing wrong with it. 23%

Related Post:
    Pension/Salary/Benefits CONGRESS; Poll/Vote and MORE!
    http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-126464.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I really could care less about Michelle's sneakers as long as she is paying for them.

Poll Results
    Thank you for voting.

Okay, folks. What shoes are YOU wearing today? Mine were $6.99 from Payless.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

She wore those to a food drive! That was stupid.

I love shoes and those are f-bomb ugly.
    A pair of original High Top Converse have more class. I'm not talking crap either because I own a pair.

Also, the money spent on those stupid things could have gone to support the illegal alien aunt Zeituni Onyango. They should be reimbursing the Boston Housing Authority for supporting her all those years.

I have no respect for anyone that will not take care of their own relatives.

Who paid for Auntie's spats?

Dixie

I really don't care about Michelle's shoes. My bigger worry is if she carries a pooper-scooper, or leaves that for the staff to do at taxpayer expense.

Dixie Great Pics - I bet Michelle gave them as hand me downs to Auntie.

Oh My Reggie I have crocks mix matched on today. LOL One shoe crocks and other off brand maybe, let me look. ..... Yes, I am mix matched. But I have HAPPY FEET.

Oh My Reggie I have crocks mix matched on today. LOL One shoe crocks and other off brand maybe, let me look. ..... Yes, I am mix matched. But I have HAPPY FEET.
    That's me, my crocs. Sometimes I feel like I look more like Minnie Mouse, but I love these ugly darn shoes. I've got my navy ones for summer, spring and fall, going on 3 yrs. old and my black ones with the fuzzy inserts for winter. Suppose I should break down and get another pair one of these days.....they wear fantastic, but who knows how soon it will be till my 27 bucks will be a luxery item.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast