Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Prepare For The Worst, Because Solar Storms Ugly

Prepare for the Worst, Because Solar Storms Are About to Get Ugly

By Erin Biba 03.24.08 | 6:00 PM

Photo: SOHO, ESA, NASA START

Every 11 years or so, the sun gets a little v**v. It breaks out in a rash of planet-sized sunspots that spew superhot gas, hurling clouds of electrons, protons, and heavier ions toward Earth at nearly the speed of light. These solar windstorms have been known to knock out power grids and TV broadcasts, and our growing reliance on space-based technology makes us more vulnerable than ever to their effects. On January 3, scientists discovered a reverse-polarity sunspot, signaling the start of a new cycle — and some are predicting that at its peak (in about four years) things are gonna get nasty. Here's a forecast for 2012.

http://video.wired.com/linking/index.js ... f&hl=false
    Clip 1: An X Class Flare Region on the Sun, courtesy TRACE Project, NASA
    Clip 2: The Active Sun, courtesy Solar Optical Telescope, Hinode satellite, JAXA
    Detours

Clumps of ions in the atmosphere could interfere with GPS. Satellite signals are slowed by bumping into particles, meaning your trusty navigator may lose its way. Remember those colorful paper things called maps?

Falling Satellites
    Increased solar energy heats Earth's atmosphere, causing it to expand. That's a drag on low-flying satellites and can even knock them out of orbit. A solar storm in 1979 deposited Skylab on Australia.

Layovers in Alaska
    Particles are drawn to Earth's magnetic poles, right through popular flight paths. Electrons absorb the energy in shortwave signals, causing radio blackouts — and unscheduled stops in Anchorage.

Light Shows
    Auroras occur when waves of charged particles light up gases in the upper atmosphere. As more particles stream in, the so-called aurora oval grows, bringing the "northern lights" as far south as Key West.

http://www.wired.com/science/discoverie ... aceweather
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The Mayan calendar comes to an end on Sunday, December 23, 2012
    **Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "man, what a rid

at 11:11 a.m.!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Eastern or Pacific Time Zone ?
    **Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "man, what a rid

The date is Dec 21, 2012 (12,21,12)

This site I found has a countdown at the top of the page. Days left, hour and seconds!! I guess we should buy a t-shirt from the site too!

Seriously, though, it says 11:11 A.M.GTM

http://www.december212012.com/articles/mayan/9.htm
    Countdown at top of the link.
    December 21 2012, 11:11 A.M. GMT

I am hearing end of the world in Oct 2012 all the time...Im wondering what the connection is with this particular year. Why 2012?

Look at the bright side....

For those of us who have somehow lived our lives without the aid of GPS navigation systems, well, we won't miss a thing and we'll still get there on time.

AND it may be possible for us folks here on the east coast to see those beautiful Northern Lights from our back porches!!!!

Folks, this world will only stand as is until our Creator decides our time is up. Not one minute more nor one minute less.

Folks, this world will only stand as is until our Creator decides our time is up. Not one minute more nor one minute less.
    Agreed!

Reminds me of that song from the 70's "He's got the whole world in His hands".