Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Probably wrong forum - pls move this Testimonial

I graduated in 1981 from UCLA - upon graduating I got "appointed" to a position with CA Secretary of State - my appointment was the result of teaching a CEO of a bank how to swim while I lifeguarded at a elite executive club. No joke.

I immediately took advantage of the position writing position papers on environmental issues important to me as a surfer. Short part again, my positions became front page news and my boss looked like a genius.

Because I was halfway literate and presentable (to blind people) - I was put into front line semi-official/campaign soliciting role - wow - how naive can I be.

Cut to quick again - my last assignment was to clandestinely return cash and jewels given as "baksheesh"to high visibility staff of a gubantorial candidate - reeceived from the then Godfather of the Japanese mafia (Yakuza). The LA Times had gotten wind of the gifts and major conflict of interest, so I was sent to return the stuff because I was "clean".

Upon that meeting, I was taken into protective custody by National Police and sent home asap. As a 22 year old then, it was all very James Bond and cool, but the inside view of corruption was discouraging and I swore off any further politics.

Fast forward to the 90's when I bought my first home. Corny as it sounds, I felt a sense of civil obligation, wound up being appointed to a major beach municipality as a Commissioner for Capital Projects (funding new fire stations, libraries, sewers). I had my first kid and moved to a higher end zip code - again got appointed to non-paid Commission - I swear I teared up getting sworn into office, hand over heart - this kid from the barrio was making a difference.

Fast forward - a group of senior citizens asked me to run for a county district elected office position - they would pay for and handle everything. My only priviso - No body owns me, I vote my conscience.

This campaign cost $15K!!! for an obscure local special district Trustee. Why?!?!?

Anyway - this position took me to Sacramento several times and sidebar "advice" from State Senators and Assemblymen - why?!?!?

Cut to quick again - I saw first hand again - the corruption, the special interest and how the money trail is well hidden.

Our meetings were televised on local cable. Even though immigration had no real connection to this office, my 5 minutes of open comments were devoted to urging those without a life, watching an obscure local government meeting at 9:00pm to follow the money and warn them that we were being invaded.

I ran for that office for one reason only though - to show my kids, it's one thing to bitch about government, but you can effect change by getting into government - and I'm still proud I did it despite the true lack of any efficacy.

My name is Calivoter, and I'm a taxaholic -

WOW! Sounds like you lived what I had always suspected about government at ALL levels. It is CORRUPT!
    We see so many tribes overrun and undermined

While their invaders dream of lands they've left behind

Better people...better food...and better beer...

Why move around the world when Eden was so near?
    -Neil Peart from the song Territories&

thanks for note

I wished I could say that there are more sincere public servants at any level. But my experience has been power and publicity turns even the most humble moral people into something else.

I've met good people but the majority has disappointed me.