Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Proceeding ahead with Federal Complaint.

I have found some somewhat shocking truths lately. Elected officials actually do take seriously the matter of foreign citizens lobbying them---and thus compromising traditional national sovereignty. On many things pertaining to immigration many of you have probably experienced disdain, disregard or utter contempt from the congressional aides who have fielded your calls. Likewise with our Senators' office here,---there youngish voices are "Like are you clueless or something?"

So it was surprising to me when our Senator''s office listened to my query about foreign lobbying and whether they knew that was taking place plus my comments on foreign agent registration. Then they gave me the number of the local US Attorney. Now, in fair warning, this is a complicated area. But the remarkable thing is that I feel they are starting to take things seriously.

Here are the laws that MAY enter in to this issue or are related.

* 2 U.S.C. § 1601, the Lobbying Disclosure Act of 1995 focuses on those engaged in "lobbying activities" on behalf of domestic and foreign interests. FARA exempts those agents of foreign principals, other than agents of foreign governments and foreign political parties, who engage in "lobbying activities" and who register under the LDA.

* 18 U.S.C. § 219 is not a registration statute, but is a conflict of interest statute which makes it a criminal offense for a "public official" of the United States in the executive, legislative, or judicial branches to be or to act as an agent of a foreign principal required to register under FARA. This does not apply to special government employees who register under FARA and obtain certification from the head of the employing agency that such employment is required in the national interest.

* 18 U.S.C. § 951 is aimed at non-political activities, and requires all agents operating under the control of foreign governments or foreign officials, other than diplomats, to notify the Attorney General before acting. There is a limited exception for those engaged in legal commercial transactions. Registration under FARA serves as the requisite notification.

* 18 U.S.C. § 2386 requires registration by certain organizations which engage in political activity, civilian military activity, operate under foreign control, or have as their purpose to overthrow the government by force.

* 50 U.S.C. § 851 requires registration of persons who have knowledge of or have received instruction or assignment in espionage, counterespionage or sabotage service or tactics of a foreign country or foreign political party.

So:
    Re: USC 851---Would not this apply to members of armed services of foreign countries? Or to intelligence agencies and operatives? Plus it might apply to extremist political groups which have taken up similar tactics in other countries.

Re:USC 2386----Would not this apply to US based groups that have adopted military type tactics? Haven't a number of extremist foreign groups engaged in "civilian military activity."

There are also international treaties which come to bear. The US, by treaty, cannot harbor groups which have engaged elsewhere in Sabotage--like Chiapas based anarchists and sympathizers. Again, it's complex. But the good thing is that our governments have already been dealing with these issues and do have laws in place. The Congress needs to be reminded of that fact, before being carried away with a lot of "feel-good politics."

If you can provide leads on names of groups or reports please let me know. I don't need anecdotes or hearsay or even just the names. Needed are verifiable reports and news stories, preferably from government sources.
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Northern California (moved back to fight for our land and freedom)
    Nice to be able to hold them responsible. We are taking about a group of people with more disposable income than most and they bounce more checks in a month than I write in a year.

But, we have data to hold their feet to the fire. They double-talk so much it's hard to get it in.

Captainiron,

I thought of your interest in our FARA law being enforced with the stories below. It is strange enough that a "Friends of Ireland" group would include the Head of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus (Valazquez), but especially that this group is allowed to "promote Irish interests in the US House of Representatives" without being required to register as lobbyists for a foreign government:

"Major immigration reform in the United States will be put to the US Senate before the summer, a leading US Congresswoman has said in Dublin.

Making a special one-to-one deal between Ireland and the US is not possible, said Congresswoman Nydia Velazquez.

"But Ireland's need would be dealt with if such immigration legislation was passed by the Houses of Congress

"The “Friends of Irelandâ€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)