Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Question about seeing those in military fatigues in public..

Random question here, but knew I'd be able to get the correct answer here.

Whenever I see someone who is in military fatigues in public, I thank them for serving our country.

Ok, so the other day I was at the grocery store and there was a young lady in air force fatigues in line behind me. When I turned around, I said "thank you for serving our country". she replied: "thank you so much for your support". So I was telling my friend about this interaction, because I was just intrigued by how young she looked (she looked maybe 20) and she also was just so pretty with these gorgeous eyes. So my point in telling the story was to describe to my friend how pretty her eyes were (not to get kudos for thanking her for her service, as I stated, it's something i do all the time).

So I was telling my friend and her husband said, "why would you say that to her? you don't know if she is actively serving or not". I responded by saying that in MY opinion, anyone who joins the military or is a part of the military in any way is indeed "serving our country". he disagreed and said she could never have seen, and may never see any "active duty". I once again disagreed and said if you are in uniform, no matter what you are "doing", you are serving our country. so we debated back & forth about this for quite some time.

I think i am correct, but he said I may make some uncomfortable for "thanking them" when they (in his words) "aren't serving in anyway". but like i said, i feel it is appropriate to thank them for serving our country. he said it may make them uncomfortable and it isn't necessary.

on the chance he is correct, i never want to insult, offend, or make anyone ever feel uncomfortable. so am i better off to stop this practice, or am i ok to continue doing what i am doing?

folks on here have good insight, so i figured this is the best place to ask.

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"........

Yea and the 911 operator isn't serving anyone either is she/he? I mean, they are just sitting behind a desk answering calls and not actually "active duty" or out in the middle of the action.

Your friend's husband needs to get a grip on just what support personnel do. Additionally, every member of the military has gone through extensive training (boot camp) so I don't care if they end up kitchen help or desk jockeys because in a moment's notice they could come under attack and have to pick up a gun, rescue a injured comrade, get behind the wheel of some equipment or man the artillery.

I'm talking stateside too. For instance, when the Pentagon was attacked on 9-11.

He is wrong, wrong, wrong...

HippieChick, you are cool as heck in my book for telling our military personnel thank you.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

You just keep right on being sweet, and decent by thanking those folks in uniform. And tell your friend's husband that if he persists in his stance, his bad ju-ju will come back to haunt him. Those folks in uniform did not start the war. They never do. They just have to give their blood and tears and lives for it.

I don't relish war and conflict by any nature. It is cruel and evil in what it can and does do to young minds.

So you go right ahead and tell them thankyou. And if he is in your company when you do it, he may learn something.

It's better than the way Uncles were treated during Vietnam.

Active reserve is still serving your country!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Thank you everyone. I always felt what I was doing was indeed appreciated, especially based on the responses of those I've said it to. I still remember one particular moment, when walking thru an airport and walking near me was a young man, maybe 19 or 20, in army fatigues. When we made eye contact, I said what I always do "Thank you for serving our country", and he stopped dead in his tracks, kept his gaze on me, and said "Thank you Ma'am. It is my HONOR to serve you and our country." And this young kid had the biggest smile of appreciation on his face, just to hear the "thank you", I suppose. Well I about lost it with tears. I am so proud of these men & women who serve in our military. I do not believe in war. But I do believe in America and therefore believe in and support our troops. Always.

I indeed will keep on doing what I am doing. And I know my friend's husband loves America too, and I hope one day when I am out in public with him, we run into one of those folks in uniform. That way I can thank them, and also ask them about what they do, what they went thru during training, and what is expected of them in the future. I am sure that will enlighten him and help him see what I do isn't "silly" or unappreciated.

Thanks again everyone!
    Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"........

HippieChick if anyone in fatigues acts unconfortable by your attention it would probably be because they are not supposed to be in public such as the grocery store in their fatigues.

It might seem silly but as far as I know it has always been and still is the rule. No stopping between work and home in your fatigues. I know my son-inlaw always carries a change of clothing with him in case he has to run an errand. There are certain work clothes they can wear in public places, but not fatigues.

I always thank them for their service to our country . Even if they just have a hat on with their logo on it .

I saw an old black man in a restaurant who looked just like the man on the ' Green Mile ' he was very tall and big . He had a cap on that said Viet Nam . I walked right up to him and said thank you for serving our country . Also saw a man in grocery store who was korean vet' the forgotten war ' told him the same .

Everytime i thank one I can tell it makes them feel good by the look on their face .

My Uncle did his time in the CG. 1970 - 1974, his time was Stateside, but hey, he was also on the big lake boats in November, plus search and rescue for drowning victims. And the people who think they have the right to do stupid things like icefish on ice that is getting slushy, and they break through, and well, we all know what happens then. Toughest thing for him, was when he was in unifrom, and he had me and my sister in tow, and we were at Lakeside Mall which was new, and this couple sent there 4 or 5 year old over to ask him how many babies he's killed. It left him bitter, and it's taking time to heal that wound, but he is realizing that a new generation of Americans appreciate his service, and he's coming around finally.

This is why I thank them for their service. Doesn't matter whether it's overseas, or Stateside, I thank them.