Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

RECOMMENDED VACCINES

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld/my ... 151390.htm

Posted on Sat, Jul. 29, 2006

RECOMMENDED VACCINES
    The federal government suggests the following treatment

Hepatitis B | Three doses; one at birth, the second at 1-4 months, the third at 6-18 months.

Hepatitis A | Two doses; one at 12-23 months of age, the second at least 6 months afterward.

Inactivated poliovirus (IPV) | Four doses; at 2 months, 4 months and 6-18 months, and a booster at 4-6 years.

Rotavirus | Three doses; the first at 6 weeks and 12 weeks of age. The series should be completed by the time the child is 32 weeks old.

Haemophilus Influenzae Type B (Hib) | Three or four doses, depending on the brand used; doses are given at 2 months, 4 months, 6 months and 12-15 months.

Measles, mumps, rubella (MMR) | Two doses; the first at 12-15 months; the second at least four weeks after the first, but usually at 4-6 years.

Pneumococcal conjugate (PCV) | Four doses; at 2 months, 4 months, 6 months and 12-15 months.

Diphtheria, tetanus and acellular pertussis (DTaP) | Five doses; at 2 months, 4 months, 6 months and 15-18 months of age. A booster is given at 4-6 years, when a child first enters school.

Tetanus diphtheria and acellular pertussis (Tdap) | A version of DTaP for older children. One dose at age 11-12.

Varicella (chickenpox) | One dose is recommended at 12-18 months. Last month, a government vaccine advisory committee voted to recommend a second dose at 4-6 years, but that has not yet been endorsed by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Influenza | Annual shots for children ages 6 months to 5 years.

Meningococcal, or bacterial meningitis (MCV4) | This vaccine is considered longer-acting than an earlier meningococcal vaccine (MPSV4). MCV4 is recommended for adolescents at high school and college entry and children 11-12 - although the latter recommendation is suspended because of a vaccine shortage.

Human papillomavirus (HPV) | The new vaccine, approved for marketing last month, combats cervical cancer. The vaccine advisory panel last month recommended the three-dose series be given to girls, starting at age 11 or 12.

I don't remember this many vaccines being required when our kids were growing up.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

had_enuf,

I don't remember this many vaccines being required when our kids were growing up
    There weren't.
    TIME'S UP!
    Why should <u>only</u> AMERICAN CITIZENS and LEGAL immigrants, have to obey the law?!

Good Lord. I'm getting really old. The only thing I got growing up with that one that leaves a scar on your arm (smallpox) I think? Pat probably knows.

My kids didn't get much more than that. They lived through the mumps and the measels and the chicken pox.

This reminded me that, over ten years go (bout 1991), I was with some friends on the island of Anguilla (I think it's part of the British West Indies). I met a doctor ( an American ex-pat) who worked for the W.H.O. Another doctor with him was, Chinese, I believe, also employed by W.H.O.

We got to talking and the American doctor made an interesting comment saying that the most susceptible country in this world to disease and viruses was America because of the overuse of antibiotics, which he said destroyed natural immunities.

He rattled off some statistics that I don't remember any more, but that comment stuck with me. In part, because I thought it was logical. But, what the heck, I'm no physician.

Mornin' CheyenneWoman,

The only thing I got growing up with that one that leaves a scar on your arm (smallpox) I think?
    You're right, that was Smallpox.

The doc was right, also. Our populace demands antibiotics way too fast, way too often, and regardless of whether or not it's appropriate (such as for colds- viruses). As I've posted elsewhere, I think that this group is too educated to do that.

I've actually had people walk into the ER with this conversation...

" I need an antibiotic"
    Why?

" I have a fever"
    What is it?

"100"
    (Just qualifies)

How long have you had this fever?

"10 minutes". ( I'm NOT exaggerating on this, folks. I've had this exact conversation more times than I can count)
    Do you have any other symptoms, cough, pain anywhere, infected wound, etc.?

"No"
    So why do you think you need an antibiotic?

"Just in case".

These patients did NOT get antibiotics from our docs. In some places they might, if they were threatening enough. This type of antibiotic abuse affects all of us, when RESISTANT organisms get out into the public &/or loose in hospitals.

I am NOT opposed to antibiotics when necessary, just please give your own systems a chance, first.
    TIME'S UP!
    Why should <u>only</u> AMERICAN CITIZENS and LEGAL immigrants, have to obey the law?!