Webb won't seek reelection

February 09, 2011
comments 145
Video at the Link:

Virginia Democratic Senator Jim Webb plans to announce today that he won't seek reelection, the Senator confirmed Wednesday.

Webb appeared likely to face a rematch with former Senator George Allen, whom he beat in a bruising 2006 contest. He had expressed ambivalence about the prospect of another run, and has said he never planned a life in politics.

Keeping Webb -- a Vietnam veteran, former Reagan defense official, and author -- in the Senate had been a top priority for the Democratic leadership, with no Democrat of Webb's prominence, and his centrist politics, openly exploring the race. Senate Democratic leaders view Democratic National Committee Chairman Tim Kaine, the former Virginia governor, as a top prospect to replace him, despite Kaine's disavowals that he's looking at the race. Kaine, the source said, hasn't shut the door on the possibility. Former Congressman Tom Perriello, who is close to the White House, could also be a candidate.

Webb's departure isn't entirely a surprise. He recalled in a recent interview that he'd told President Obama in the fall of 2009 that his push for health care legislation would end in "disaster."

"The healthcare issue really took away a lot of the credibility of the new leadership--Obama particularly--the Reid-Pelosi-Obama trio," he said.

Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee Chairwoman Patty Murray said in a statement:

Jim Webb has been a strong Senator and a true advocate for Virginia. I am grateful for his decades of service to our country. The people of Virginia have been well represented in the United States by two Democratic Senators who are fierce advocates for their state. As Republicans face a brutal primary between a flawed Washington establishment candidate and a right-wing extremist who is raising money at a good clip, Democrats will field a strong candidate. The 2012 Virginia Senate race will be competitive but Democrats will prevail there just like we did in 2006 and 2008.

UPDATE: Webb's statement:

It has been a great and continuing privilege to serve in the United States Senate. I am very proud of my talented and dedicated staff, which has worked tirelessly to resolve the issues on which I based my candidacy, and to protect the interests of all Virginians in this national forum. Among other contributions we have given our Post- 9/11 veterans the best GI Bill since World War Two; we have taken the lead in reforming our criminal justice system; we have led the way toward stronger relations in East and Southeast Asia; and we have been a strong voice in calling on China to act more responsibly in the world community. We will continue to work on these and other issues throughout the rest of my term.

However, after much thought and consideration I have decided to return to the private sector, where I have spent most of my professional life, and will not seek re-election in 2012.

Notwithstanding this decision, I have every intention of remaining involved in the issues that affect the well-being and the future of our country.

UPDATE: The National Republican Senatorial Committee's Brian Walsh emails:

Senator Webb’s decision not to seek reelection makes Virginia an even stronger pickup opportunity for Republicans in 2012. While there is no doubt Republicans will field a strong leader as our nominee, Democrats will have great difficulty finding an electable candidate for this open seat as Virginians continue to reject their agenda of higher taxes and reckless spending. We can only hope that Democrats succeed in recruiting President Obama’s number one cheerleader in Washington – Tim Kaine.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/ ... ction.html

many links on this post