Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

Republican Party Is a Grass-Roots Party By: Michael Reagan

Republican Party Is a Grass-Roots Party

Thursday, November 13, 2008 3:12 PM

By: Michael Reagan

There are a lot of meetings going on attended by some Republicans trying to figure out what went wrong on Election Day and how the party needs to respond.

None of them involves what the media like to call the base, the folks at the grass roots whose votes, after all, determine the outcome of elections.

The gatherings get a lot of media attention because the media mistakenly believe that the people attending them represent the grass roots of the GOP.

They don’t.

What they represent is the coterie that led the party into eight years of ignoring the traditions and principles of the party pursued so avidly by the Reagan administration, with which they have the effrontery to identify themselves.

They represent the big-government, big-spending Republican Party that turned its back on the grass roots. Many of them say that what the GOP needs to do is to do more of the same things that put us where we are.

I have news for them. They are not the Republican Party. They remain wedded to the idea that the party is a party of moderation — the party that can’t make up its mind about what is right to do and what is wrong to do. So they try to come down in the middle.

They forget that Abraham Lincoln, the first Republican president, warned us not to believe there “is some middle groundâ€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Great column.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Yes, very good. Watching Lou Dobbs just now, he had a segment that highlighted the, well it might be called "jealousy", of other Republican governors when it comes to the attention that Governor Sarah Palin has been receiving from the media today. Governor Rick Perry cut short the media interview with several governors including Governor Palin, after she was the only one getting questions.

Early today someone said that Governor Palin was "Ronald Reagan in a skirt." If they continue to try to marginalize her while so many Americans want to see and hear from her, they may end up fighting among themselves even more and just stay more rejected by voters. Haley Barbour and other governors are saying things to get the focus off of her. They have a "pecking" order and she is rising too fast for their liking.

2 Chronicles 7:14
    Matthew 19:26
    But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

GP,
    I hope that Palin backs off her support for pathway amnesty though that she announced during the campaign. Hopefully, she was just regurgitating the McCain talking points regarding "it's not amnesty" amnesty. but we'll see. If she doesn't back off this, she will not have my support.

Quote Originally Posted by Populist
    GP,
    I hope that Palin backs off her support for pathway amnesty though that she announced during the campaign. Hopefully, she was just regurgitating the McCain talking points regarding "it's not amnesty" amnesty. but we'll see. If she doesn't back off this, she will not have my support.
    Oh come now, she can't change her position on that, that would be, "flip-flopping."

I can hear the 2012 Republican primary campaign ads now. . .

. . . and all the "useful idiots" in the Republican party bickering (in the media, on blogs and here on the ALIPAC boards) amongst themselves over minor, insignificant differences in their candidates positions and supporting their own destined-to-lose Republican candidate, who's just a Democrat Lite, while Obama laughs and coasts to being elected to another term as President.

God forbid any candidate ever change their views on something and "flip-flop!!" Much better to elect the other party's radical left candidate than tolerate the cardinal sin of a human being giving something further consideration and changing their mind!!
    All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Populist
    GP,
    I agree, but I'm all for giving her some time and seeing if any of her positions change. From what I've been reading and hearing, the McCain people had her on a tight leash. She wasn't allowed to really be herself. Of course, in accepting the VP offer she knew she would have to tow the McCain line, even if deep down she disagreed with some of his positions.
    That's why we are seeing her more in the media because she's free from the restraints and is promoting herself now for 2012.

I just don't know how much respect I can have for someone who compromises on what they really believe in (if that's the case), just to get ahead. Personally, I couldn't do it myself. Obviously, she was used by the campaign and when it didn't work out, they threw her under the bus. So I think this is her way of having her voice heard. Whether she changes her position on immigration remains to be seen. But by 2012, it may already be too late as the Amnesty debate is coming up right around the corner.

None of their policies will change if they want to be in race for the oval office. The CFR and the Trilateral Comission will groom them on what they want them to do while in office.

I suppose at ione time the republicrats were a grassroots party, but they are just as bad as the demopublicans. Congressman Paul even though we all would have gone to bat for him in the ballot box, since he's the closest candidate to a Constitutionalist that would have stood a chance, but since he's not a sellout, he didn't stand a chance.

Until the republicans stand up to these behind the scenes bullies, and go back to the core values of smaller government, and lower to no taxes, except those allowed by the constitution, and the attitude of leave the people be and they will prosper, and securing our borders, they will be far from a grassroots party in my eyes.