Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Retail Apocalypse: 23 big retailers closing stores

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Retail Apocalypse: 23 big retailers closing stores

Retail Apocalypse: 23 big retailers closing stores

By Thomas Barrabi Published March 02, 2018 Small BusinessFOXBusiness

Toys R’ Us bankruptcy: Is this a retail apocalypse?

Toys R’ Us has filed for bankruptcy right before the holiday shopping season, becoming the latest brick-and-mortar retailer to fall victim to the growth of e-commerce and discount stores. More than 300 companies have filed for bankruptcy in 2017 so far, here’s a look at the most significant casualties.

Some of the United States’ most prominent retailers are shuttering stores in recent months amid sagging sales in the troubled sector.

The rise of ecommerce outlets like Amazon (NASDAQ:AMZN) has made it harder for traditional retailers to attract customers to their stores and forced companies to change their sales strategies. Many companies have turned to sales promotions and increased digital efforts to lure shoppers while shutting down brick-and-mortar locations.

More on this...

FOX Business continues to tally a list of some of the top retailers to close stores.

Abercrombie & Fitch

Facing declining sales, the once-prominent fashion brand announced last March that it would close 60 of its U.S. stores with expiring leases during its 2017 fiscal year. The chain has closed hundreds of store locations over the last few years while placing an increased emphasis on online sales.

Aerosoles

The New Jersey-based women’s footwear company filed for bankruptcy last year and announced plans to move forward with a “significant reduction” of its retail locations. While it’s unclear how many of Aerosoles’ 88 locations will be affected, the chain said it plans to keep four flagship stores in New York and New Jersey operational, NJ.comOpens a New Window. reported.

American Apparel

A fashion brand known for its edgy offerings, American Apparel shuttered all of its 110 U.S. locations last year after filing for bankruptcy. The brand has since been acquired by Canada-based Gildan Activewear, which acquired its intellectual property in an $88 million deal.

BCBG

The Los Angeles-based brand listed liabilities of more than $500 million when it filed for bankruptcy last February. The chain closed 118 store locations nationwide last year, though more than 300 remained in operation under a company-wide reorganization.

Bebe

The women’s apparel chain closed all of its remaining 168 stores by last May, days after it said it was exploring “strategic alternatives for the company” amid plunging sales.

Bon-Ton Stores Inc.

The struggling department store filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, according to court papers filed in February. The chain, which operates 256 stores in 23 states, also announced it plans to close 42 stores in 2018 as part of a restructuring plan.

The Children’s Place

A fixture at shopping malls, the children’s clothing retail said it will close hundreds of store locations by 2020 as part of a shift toward digital commerce.

CVS

The pharmacy retailer said it would close 70 store locations in 2017 as part of a bid to cut costs and streamline its business. CVS still operates thousands of stores nationwide.

Foot Locker

The sports retailer told investors on March 1 that it would shutter about 110 stores in a push to focus on higher-performing store locations while also opening about 40 new stores. Foot Locker closed more than 140 stores globally last year.

"We continue to prune the fleet of under-productive stores and open a few select, high-profile stores," CFO Lauren Peters said in a call with investors.

Guess

Guess announced plans to close 60 of its struggling U.S. store locations in 2017 as part of a plan to refocus on international markets.

Gymboree

The kids clothing retailer confirmed last July that it would close 350 of its more than 1,200 store locations to streamline its business and achieve “greater financial flexibility,” according to CEO Daniel Griesemer.

Hhgregg

The electronics retailer said it would close all of its 220 stores and lay off thousands of employees when it failed to find a buyer after bankruptcy proceedings.
    J. Crew

The preppy icon, which once thrived under the direction of retail guru Mickey Drexler, is thriving no more. During a November conference call, COO and CFO Mike Nicholson said the number of planned store closings will move to 50 up from the 20-30 originally announced."We are committed to driving outsize growth with strong e-commerce capabilities complemented with a more appropriately sized real estate footprint” said Nicholson as reported by Fashionista.com.Opens a New Window.

J.C. Penney

The department store chain closed 138 stores last year while restructuring its business to meet shifting consumer tastes. The retailer also announced plans to open toy shops in all of its remaining brick-and-mortar locations.

The Limited

After a brutal holiday season in 2016, the clothing chain closed all 250 of its physical stores last January as part of a bid to focus on ecommerce. The closures reportedly resulted in the loss of about 4,000 jobs.

Macy’s

The major retailer said this month it would shutter an additional seven stores that were previously undisclosed and lay off some 5,000 workers as part of an ongoing effort to streamline its business and adjust to a difficult sales environment.

Macy's says it has now revealed 81 of the 100 store closures it first revealed in an August 2016 announcement.

Michael Kors

With same-store sales plunging, the upscale fashion retailer said it would close as many as 125 stores to adapt to a difficult, promotional sales environment.

Payless

The discount shoe retailer filed for bankruptcy last April and has moved to close about 800 stores this year.

RadioShack

The once-prominent electronics outlet shut down more than 1,000 store locations earlier this year. The brand now operates just 70 stores nationwide, down from a peak of several thousand.

Rue21

The specialty teen clothing retailer confirmed last April that it would close up to 400 of its more than 1,100 locations and later filed for bankruptcy last May.

Sears/Kmart

Sears Holdings is one of the most prominent traditional retailers to suffer in a challenged sales environment. The brand shuttered 35 Kmart locations and eight Sears stores last July and has closed more than 300 locations last year amid pressure from ecommerce outlets, USA TodayOpens a New Window. reported.

Toys R Us

The venerable toy outlet filed for bankruptcy last September amid mounting debt and pressure from wary suppliers. For now, the company says its 1,600 store locations will remain open and operate "as usual," with no changes to organization structure or payroll. Following the 2017 holiday season, the future of the stores remains unclear.

Wet Seal

The teen fashion brand shuttered its 171 stores last year after previously filing for bankruptcy in 2015.

Declining foot traffic at malls and pressure from competitors like Zara and H&M contributed to Wet Seal’s demise.

*Updated 9-20-17: Toys "R" Us confirms plans to keep 1,600 stores open and operational despite bankruptcy filing.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/...mp=hp1s10,hp1s

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    I hate to admit it, but I share in the blame. I did the majority of my Christmas shopping through Amazon this year. I hate fighting the retail store crowds and find it much easier to shop online. I know, I'm a bad boy, but darn, it's just so much easier.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by MW View Post
    I hate to admit it, but I share in the blame. I did the majority of my Christmas shopping through Amazon this year. I hate fighting the retail store crowds and find it much easier to shop online. I know, I'm a bad boy, but darn, it's just so much easier.
    People still celebrate Christmas?

No, problem.

It is so much easier to shop in your pajamas and not get shot at or stabbed at the malls.....
    Freedom isn't free... Don't forget the men who died and gave that right to all of us....
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn