Most anyone familiar with eBay will be less than pleased to hear this news!

Retiring eBay CEO Whitman named co-chair of McCain's campaign
By Mary Anne Ostrom
Mercury News
Article Launched: 03/14/2008 09:41:47 AM PDT

Retiring eBay Chief Executive Meg Whitman is joining the presidential campaign of John McCain as a national co-chair. Whitman, who steps down from her eBay job at the end of the month, had been a major fundraiser for Mitt Romney, the former Massachusetts governor who dropped out of the Republican race last month.

Whitman is the second high-profile Silicon Valley businesswoman to land a key job boosting McCain, the presumptive GOP nominee.

Last week, former Hewlett-Packard CEO Carly Fiorina, who campaigned for McCain in the primaries, was tapped to lead the Republican National Committee's fundraising efforts to aid McCain's November campaign and will continue on the road touting his economic agenda.

"I'm honored that Senator McCain has asked me to become a part of his campaign," Whitman said in a statement. "America needs John McCain's courageous leadership."

Interestingly, both Whitman and Fiorina have been mentioned as possible GOP candidates for California governor in 2010. And both, no doubt, would be in line for influential Washington jobs should McCain win.

As national campaign co-chair, Whitman, a billionaire, will not only help McCain raise money but also work on developing policy and travel the country on his behalf.

That's a fairly active role for someone who has downplayed interest in her own political future.

At a San Jose City Hall event on Tuesday honoring her decade-long leadership of the online auction-giant, Whitman was asked about that. She replied, "Frankly, I have so many other interests at this juncture."
And asked in January about a possible run for governor, she laughed at the notion, calling herself a private person. At the time, speaking of her role in the Romney campaign, she said, "That's the extent of my political activity."
http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews ... ck_check=1