Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Richardson to withdraw as Commerce secretary

Richardson to withdraw as Commerce secretary
    The New Mexico governor cites pending investigation of business dealings

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, tapped in December by President-elect Barack Obama to serve as secretary of Commerce, has withdrawn his name for the position, citing a pending investigation into a company that has done business with his state.

"Let me say unequivocally that I and my Administration have acted properly in all matters and that this investigation will bear out that fact," he said Sunday in a report by NBC News. "But I have concluded that the ongoing investigation also would have forced an untenable delay in the confirmation process."

He said he plans to continue in his role as governor. "I appreciate the confidence President-elect Obama has shown in me, and value our friendship and working partnership. I told him that I am eager to serve in the future in any way he deems useful. And like all Americans, I pray for his success and the success of our beloved country."

Obama said Sunday he accepted Richardson's decision to withdraw with 'deep regret.'

"Governor Richardson is an outstanding public servant and would have brought to the job of Commerce Secretary and our economic team great insights accumulated through an extraordinary career in federal and state office," Obama said.

Richardson, 61, was United Nations ambassador and energy secretary during the Clinton administration, and he is in his second term as New Mexico's governor. He also served seven terms in the House of Representatives.

If he had been confirmed by the Senate as secretary of Commerce, he would have taken over a sprawling department that oversees the National Weather Service, the Census Bureau, economic development programs and more.

One of the nation's most prominent Hispanic politicians, Richardson had pledged at the time of his nomination — in English and Spanish — to work to renew the economy.

Please check back later for more details on this developing story.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28493919/

I'm not buying the story. It just doesn't make any sense given the nature of the political animal.

Since when have the politically ambitious ever been concerned about investigations delaying the confirmation process.....especially when such a close tie to an administration generally works to the benefit of the one subject to the investigation?

This was the chance of a lifetime for Richardson....too big of an opportunity to throw away over something so inconsequential in the bigger picture of his career.

Nope.....my gut instinct is telling me that Richardson is trying to distance himself from obama in the event, or in advance, of some big shakeup.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Couldn't happened to a better person!
    hahahahhahah
    TV, (liberal stations) are implying that it doesn't say much for Obama's vetting process!
    They said that IF he had given up the Governorship he would be jobless now.
    If Palestine puts down their guns, there will be peace.
    If Israel puts down their guns there will be no more Israel.
    Dick Morris

Richardson withdraws bid to be commerce secretary

Jan 4 03:00 PM US/Eastern
    By NEDRA PICKLER
    Associated Press Writer Write a Comment

WASHINGTON (AP) - New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson says he is withdrawing his nomination to be President-elect Barack Obama's commerce secretary amid a grand jury investigation.
    Obama said in a statement Sunday that he accepted Richardson's withdrawal "with deep regret" but that the governor was putting the nation first to avoid any delay in filling the Cabinet post.

A federal grand jury is investigating how a California company that contributed to Richardson's political activities won a New Mexico state contract worth more than $1 billion.

Richardson said in a statement issued by Obama's transition office that the investigation could take weeks or months and he couldn't ask Obama to delay the Commerce Department's work. Richardson said the investigation will show that he "acted properly in all matters."

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

WASHINGTON (AP)—New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson has withdrawn his nomination to be President-elect Barack Obama's commerce secretary amid a grand jury investigation.

Obama's transition office said Sunday that Obama has accepted Richardson's withdrawal.

A federal grand jury is investigating how a California company that contributed to Richardson's political activities won a lucrative New Mexico state contract.

A person familiar with the proceedings has told The Associated Press that the grand jury is looking into possible "pay-to-play" dealings between CDR Financial Products and someone in a position to push the contract through with the state of New Mexico

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id ... 1&catnum=0

GOOD!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Could there be more?

Ms. Solis....

Wow.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

A person familiar with the proceedings has told The Associated Press that the grand jury is looking into possible "pay-to-play" dealings between CDR Financial Products and someone in a position to push the contract through with the state of New Mexico
    It is becoming such an epidemic pretty soon we will find the headline

"POLITICIAN REFUSES PAY FOR PLAY, CURRENTLY HELD FOR PSYCHIATRIC EVALUATION"
    Proud American and wife of a wonderful LEGAL immigrant from Ireland.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Related article.

Bill Richardson bows out of commerce secretary j

Richardson being investigated for his ties to a company that won bond business

Richardson said the probe could take months; stresses he did nothing wrong

The investigation threatened to delay bettering the nation's economy, he says

(CNN) -- New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson is withdrawing his nomination to be commerce secretary, he and President-elect Barack Obama said in statements Sunday.

Governor Bill Richardson said a probe focused on him would delay work toward bettering the economy.

Richardson cited the distraction of a federal investigation into his ties to a California company that won municipal bond business in New Mexico after contributing money to various Richardson causes.

Richardson's statement explained that he asked Obama "not to move forward" with his nomination now.

"I do so with great sorrow. But a pending investigation of a company that has done business with New Mexico state government promises to extend for several weeks or, perhaps, even months," the statement reads. "Let me say unequivocally that I and my Administration have acted properly in all matters and that this investigation will bear out that fact. But I have concluded that the ongoing investigation also would have forced an untenable delay in the confirmation process."

"Given the gravity of the economic situation the nation is facing, I could not in good conscience ask the President-elect and his Administration to delay for one day the important work that needs to be done."

Richardson, one of the best-known Hispanics in the Democratic Party, served as the energy secretary in the Clinton administration as well as ambassador to the United Nations. He said he will remain governor.

Obama's statement said that the President-elect accepted the withdrawal with "deep regret."

"Governor Richardson is an outstanding public servant and would have brought to the job of Commerce Secretary and our economic team great insights accumulated through an extraordinary career in federal and state office," Obama's statement read. "It is a measure of his willingness to put the nation first that he has removed himself as a candidate for the Cabinet in order to avoid any delay in filling this important economic post at this critical time.

"Although we must move quickly to fill the void left by Governor Richardson's decision, I look forward to his future service to our country and in my administration."

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/01/04/ ... index.html

HIP-HIP-HORRAY! I am so glad Richardson stepped away from the nomination. It looks like the "prominant Hispanic" might have been involved in some shady business practices. What a shame. IMO the whole Obama election and his choices for cabinet are nothing but one huge scam. They are nothing to thugs dressed up in suits.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by butterbean
    HIP-HIP-HORRAY! I am so glad Richardson stepped away from the nomination. It looks like the "prominant Hispanic" might have been involved in some shady business practices. What a shame. IMO the whole Obama election and his choices for cabinet are nothing but one huge scam. They are nothing to thugs dressed up in suits.

Amen, your words are soooooooo true.
    Proud American and wife of a wonderful LEGAL immigrant from Ireland.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast