Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Romney, Santorum back minimum-wage hike

Romney, Santorum back minimum-wage hike

05/09/14 08:38 AM
    By
    Steve Benen

It was just last week that nearly every Senate Republican linked arms and blocked a vote on raising the federal minimum wage. There were more than enough votes in the chamber to approve the popular legislation, but the Democratic majority couldn’t overcome a GOP filibuster.

A growing number of prominent Republicans outside the Beltway are saying their party is making a mistake. As of this morning, the list includes Mitt Romney, who appeared on msnbc (video below).

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney on Thursday morning said he supports an increase in the minimum wage, breaking with many Republicans who have stood against it.

“I, for instance, as you know, part company with many of the conservatives in my party on the issue of the minimum wage. I think we ought to raise it,” the 2012 Republican presidential nominee said. “Because frankly, our party is all about more jobs and better pay.”

Evidently, that’s an aspirational goal, because it’s currently not what the party is “all about.”

Nevertheless, Romney’s comments come on the heels of similar assessments from a couple of his former presidential rivals – Rick Santorum and Tim Pawlenty – both of whom also endorsed an increase to the federal minimum wage.

But as is often the case, Republicans endorsing popular ideas away from Capitol Hill seems to have little effect on Republicans on Capitol Hill, who continue to argue that a minimum-wage increase is out of the question.

Indeed, the number of GOP lawmakers calling for reducing the federal minimum wage to zero continues to grow.

Last week, Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) said he believes the federal minimum wage simply shouldn’t exist, endorsing a line already adopted by some of his Republican colleagues.

In a curious twist, Rep. Tom Cole (R-Okla.) told msnbcthe other day that he’s consider an increase, but only if Democrats met a series of Republican demands, including approval of the Keystone pipeline.

That’s a pretty high price for something policymakers should want to do anyway.

In the meantime, congressional Republicans aren’t just at odds with public opinion, their own party’s presidential candidates, and states moving forward on their own minimum-wage laws. They’ve also adopted a line rejected by some private-sector leaders.
    In an interview published Wednesday with CNBC, Subway CEO Fred Deluca said he is “not concerned” by the idea of federal minimum wage increase, since it would affect rivals companies just the same and not put anyone at a “particular disadvantage.”

“Over the years, I’ve seen so many of these wage increases,” he told CNBC. “I think it’s normal. It won’t have a negative impact hopefully, and that’s what I tell my workers.” […]

Deluca even said he would support measures that would raise the minimum wage automatically. Unlike Social Security and many tax code provisions, the minimum wage is not adjusted each year to account for rising prices. “If I were in charge of the government, I would index the minimum wage to inflation so that way everybody knows what they can count on,” he said. “The employees know they’re going to get increases on a regular basis. The management knows that they’re going to have to pay a little bit more.”

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-s...imum-wage-hike
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

NO AMNESTY

NO AMNESTY

Banned
    No, Mitt Romney! Hiking the Minimum Wage is a Really Bad Idea

The Common Constitutionalist 2 hours ago

The fervor for a hike in the national minimum wage is picking up steam as RINO Republicans like Mitt Romney are jumping on board.
    Is it just me? I thought Romney was a brilliant businessman with a keen economic mind.

Could he possibly be signaling than another run at the White House is being considered? Why else would he pile on the populous political bandwagon?
    With all the fuss over this issue, one would think it affects a large portion of the workforce.
    Well, here are some statistics. Approximately 1.6 million people will be "positively" affected by the minimum wage. There are about 318 million people in America today. Let's just say half of them are of working age.
    So without even doing the math, you can plainly see that we're not even talking about a sliver of the overall working age population.
    Now of these 1.6 million, a third, or about half a million, are kids between the ages of 16 and 19. You know those kids. I sure do. Those with after school and weekend jobs (maybe, if they're lucky), living at home with no expenses and virtually everything provided for them.
    So now the number shrinks to about 1.1 million. Economic reports are that Obama's minimum wage proposal will extract another half a million jobs (possibly up to 1 million), either through forced firing or non-hiring. That only leaves us with a little more than half a million working age adults. All this national furor over half a million people.
    But some might say, these are human beings – they are fellow Americans. Don't you care? Don't you want to help? Don't they deserve a living wage?
    To that I would say that our hero veterans are also human beings and fellow Americans. Funny, but I don't hear the same uproar, the same outcry of injustice regarding the Veterans Administration intentionally killing them off, so don't talk to me about selective compassion.
    Now, I've heard and read online, an argument where raising the minimum wage had no negative effect at all. Many on the Internet have cited San Jose, California and their own autonomous wage hike to $10.15 per hour. Wow! That's impressive.
    What these "proponents" don't tell us is that the hike was all of 15 cents, from $10-$10.15. Hardly even noticeable.

That's like looking at a TV for $500, leaving the store – going back the next week and finding it priced at $507.50. No big deal, right?
    So disregard the San Jose claim that liberals love to throw around.
    By the way, the Bureau of Labor statistics show that the average hourly rate for San Jose "food service" workers in 2012 was $11.32. The hike was purely political and for unions that the base contract payoff of a percentage above the minimum wage.
    The point is, that if a town or city or a state wishes to institute a minimum wage, if it is within their states constitutional purview, it have the legal right. Whether it's morally right (which it isn't) is another story.
    However, the feds don't see the pitfalls of mandating a San Jose minimum wage on a place like Holmes County Mississippi.
    What's wrong with that? Would it not be good for the folks in Holmes County?
    Putting aside the emotion, labor is a commodity, just like the TV. Remember that $500 television? Well, it's not $507.50 as in San Jose. It's now $695 in Holmes County Mississippi. That's the difference between $7.25 per hour and $10 per hour. Can you still afford it?
    It's an increase of 39%. Now – look at any product or service you pay for and tell me you'd be willing or able to pay an additional 39%. A gallon of gas today averages about $3.63. Multiply that by 1.39 and it's now $5.05 per gallon. Groceries: the national average for family of four is $940 per month. Multiply that by 1.39 and it's now $1307.
    No reasonable person would think that the average household could absorb that increase. Why then do we think the average business could? And businesses that typically higher minimum wage workers run on razor thin margins as it is.
    All this for about 1% of the working population, maybe not even that.
    Don't forget to Like Freedom Outpost on Facebook, Google Plus, Tea Party Community & Twitter.
    You can also get Freedom Outpost delivered to your Amazon Kindle device here.

Read more at http://freedomoutpost.com/2014/05/mi...cFhyvV3BFWz.99