Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

Ron Paul: "Pure Democracy Is Dangerous"... When It's Purchased

Ron Paul: "Pure Democracy Is Dangerous"... When It's Purchased

Submitted by Tyler Durden on 11/08/2012 21:33 -0500

From an outright libertarian, the headline seems contrary; but Ron Paul's affirmation that "pure democracy is dangerous" critically confirms what Romney accidentally admitted: that enabling the majority to dictate the minority is a problem when the majority are receiving a [government] check.

Bloomberg TV's Betty Liu looks a little shocked when the thoughtful Paul confirms bluntly that the reelection of Obama is driven simply by 'the people' being on the 'receiving end' of government benefits and that the US is "so far gone; we're over the cliff already."

From Boehner and the lack of credibility in Washington to GOP's 'acceptance' of higher taxes and why he quit Congress, Ron Paul succinctly reminds many of the true state of the union in which we live...

Video worth watching at the page link:
    Ron Paul: "Pure Democracy Is Dangerous"... When It's Purchased | ZeroHedge

Paul on Boehner's address to Congress on the fiscal cliff:

"Well, there are a couple of things in there. The problem is, there is no credibility. What I run into going around the country is that people I talk to generally do not believe anything they hear. Someone said we want to work together, fine. We will not raise taxes. They do not believe that. It goes on and on. They're just looking for the truth. They say all we need is a little compromise. No one expects that because they do not admit the truth.

The truth is that we are broke. How do you compromise?

They only way you are going to compromise if you agree on what to cut.

Instead they're trying to find out how they will agree on what they will protect.

I do not think I have heard the answer.

They talk about this fiscal cliff, but in my mind I work with the assumption we are already over the cliff, we're just wondering how we're going to land…it is unsolvable because you have to cut spending."

On whether there's any circumstance where the GOP would accept a type of tax increase:

"I do, but they're not in Washington. They're outside of Washington. I talk about it all the time. The few people I could work with, like a Dennis Kucinich and others, we had coalitions. We agreed to come together say on militarism.

Why do we need to spend more than everyone else put together? You bring coalitions together of progressives and libertarian conservatives and say yes we have to cut across the board. Right now they say compromise on preservation of certain programs, but you have to get together and bring people together of different viewpoints.

I do not call that compromise because I do not think anyone should sacrifice their principles. But there's no reason in the world you cannot get progressives and libertarians to agree on some of these cuts and spending we do not need."

On what he'd need to see in order for Congress to come together and approve on some kind of deal:

"As long as they move in the direction of less government. Maybe taking their oath of office seriously…That is long gone. We're so far gone. We're over the cliff. We cannot get enough people in congress in the next 5-10 years who will do the wise things. We have to prepare for having already fallen off the fiscal cliff. it is like what is going on in Greece.

Every day you hear of a solution and things pop up, but they are in debt and spend too much money
    and then the people go out in the street and demonstrate.

Romney was hit because one issue he was correct on, he was opposed the bailouts, and the people in the Midwest voted against him. Oh, we have to be taken care of! So that vote was sort of like what we are laughing at in Greece.

Those 80,000 people do not want anything cut, they will not compromise. It is the people that are that way. That is why our revolution is significant. We're trying to change people's minds. That is why changing the minds of young people is so important."

"If you look at the numbers and the way pure democracy works, pure democracy is dangerous. The majority dictates against the minority. Right now the majority are receiving a check.

That is why people were sort of surprised with these conditions that the president could get reelected. That is a bad sign in that there are more on the receiving end. People do not want anything cut. They want all the bailouts to come. They want the Fed to keep printing money.

They do not believe we of gone off the cliff or are close to going off the cliff. They think we can patch it over, that we can somehow come up with a magic solution. You cannot have a budgetary solution if you do not change what the role of government should be. As long as you think we have to please the world and run this welfare state, all we will argue about is who will get the loot. "

On why he quit Congress:

"I think people had enough of me. I do not have much confidence in the political system and never did. My goal has always been to change people's minds because as long as people demand more government, they will get it.

Government reflects the people. That is why I am excited to go to college campuses and I will continue to do that. That's where I will get a lot of support and they are saying, I agree with you, we do not need more government, we want more freedom and we want to be able to keep our own money. We want sound money. If you have sound money coming in you do not have deficits because you cannot print more money."

Ron Paul: "Pure Democracy Is Dangerous"... When It's Purchased | ZeroHedge

Similar Articles You Might Enjoy:
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 11-09-2012 at 09:43 AM.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Ron Paul: Election shows U.S. 'far gone'

← return to Inside Politics

Comments (2555
    By Stephen Dinan - The Washington Times

Rep. Ron Paul, whose maverick presidential bids shook the GOP, said in the wake of this week's elections that the country has already veered over the fiscal cliff and he sees no chance of righting ship in a country where too many people are dependent on government.

"We're so far gone. We're over the cliff," the Texas Republican told Bloomberg Television's "In the Loop" program. "We cannot get enough people in Congress in the next 5-10 years who will do wise things."

The video can be seen at Ron Paul: We're Broke and Already Over Fiscal Cliff: Video - Bloomberg.

Mr. Paul, who is retiring after 12 terms in the House, said voters on Tuesday rejected Mitt Romney because he had opposed the government bailout of General Motors and Chrysler.

"The people in the Midwest voted against him: 'Oh, we have to be taken care of!' So that vote was sort of like what we are laughing at in Greece," Mr. Paul said.

"People do not want anything cut," he said. "They want all the bailouts to come. They want the Fed to keep printing the money. And they don't believe that we've gone off the cliff or are close to going off the cliff.

They think we can patch it over, that we can somehow come up with some magic solution. But you can't have a budgetary solution if you don't change what the role of government should be. As long as you think we have to police the world and run this welfare state, all we are going to argue about is who will get the loot."

← return to Inside Politics

Ron Paul: Election shows U.S. 'far gone' - Washington Times
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Ron Paul: We’re Already Over The Cliff

November 9, 2012 by Sam Rolley

UPI FILE

The United States is already over the fiscal cliff and there is no hope of current political leaders or those elected within the next decade of being able to undo the financial damage that has befallen the Nation.

That’s what Representative and former Presidential hopeful Ron Paul had to say during an interview on Bloomberg Television when he was asked if he believed Congress could work out the issue associated with the looming financial calamity.

“We’re so far gone,” Paul said. “We’re over the cliff. We cannot get enough people in Congress in the next 5-10 years who will do the wise things. We have to prepare for having already fallen off the fiscal cliff.”

The problem, he said, is that too many politicians argue over what must be protected in the budget rather than focusing on necessary cuts. Paul also believes that the re-election of President Barack Obama is a bad sign that the American public is too welcoming to big-government spending.

“That is why people were sort of surprised with these conditions that the president could get re-elected,” he said. “That is a bad sign in that there are more on the receiving end. People do not want anything cut. They want all the bailouts to come. They want the Fed to keep printing money. They do not believe we have gone off the cliff or are close to going off the cliff.”

Ron Paul: We