Rubio Wins Straw Poll Held By 2nd Largest Republican Club in Florida

By Dr. Richard Swier | 11/11/09 | 02:26 PM EDT

Marco Rubio keeps racking up the wins when it comes to straw polls. Today, November 11th, the Republican Club of South Sarasota County (RCSSC) held a straw poll. This straw poll was conducted over the objections of the Republican Party of Sarasota Chairman Joe Gruters.

Listen to my interview with Ron Filipkowski, Chairman of the Republican Club of South Sarasota County, Florida below. This club is the second largest in the state of Florida and largest in the SW region.

Talking with those attending this meeting there is a serious concern about Governor Crist being named the "Statesman of the Year" by Republican Party of Sarasota Chairman Joe Gruters. Many I spoke with are planning to boycott the event, which is the largest local party fundraiser of the year.

I heard several RCSSC members say that rather than attending the Statesman Dinner being held on December 13, 2009 they will send the $100 per seat price to the Rubio Campaign as a donation. I heard one member of the Board of the RCSSC say that normally they have 25-30 reservations for the Statesman Dinner by this time, so far they only have two.

I will be watching to see if other Republican Clubs in Sarasota County break with the Party leadership and hold straw polls.

Here are the final results of today's straw poll with 121 members present voting:

Marco Rubio - 70.2%

Charlie Crist - 16.5%

Bob Smith - 9.1%

Others - 4.2%

The momentum at the grass roots is for Marco Rubio, without a doubt. Crist losing yet another straw poll does not bode well for his campaign. If this grass roots fire continues spreading with more clubs bucking their local County Party Chairs we may see a real change in politics as usual in Florida.

Additionally, I learned at this meeting that Doctors and Friends Organizing for Conservative Candidates, led by Julio Gonzalez, M.D., is hosting a major fundraiser for Marco Rubio on November 20, 2009 from 8:00 to 9:00 p.m. at the Venice Community Center, Venice, Florida. Dr. Gonzalez is hoping to have over 300 party activists attend and open their wallets for Marco. For more information call: (941) 441-0313.

If this momentum continues to produce dollars then other candidates may start dropping out giving us the final one two match between Rubio/Crist we are all waiting for.

Stay tuned.

http://www.redcounty.com/rubio-wins-str ... ub-florida