Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

SALVADORAN DEATH SQUADS IMPOSE CURFEW ON TOWN

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/102939.html

Chalchuapa, El Salvador - A local death squad seemingly intent on curbing petty crime and gang activity is imposing its own curfew on a once-thriving El Salvadoran town. The group in Chalchuapa identifies itself only with the initials EL, which many believe stand for the Spanish phrase "escuadron de limpieza," or "clean-up squad."

After dark, the group has distributed leaflets since August 18 calling for the curfew and even ordering police to return to their quarters.

"Chalchuapa will become safe since we are better equipped than the police. In the meantime, we recommend that you do not go out at night," the EL said in one of its statements.

The town's homicide rate increased dramatically in August, though police have acknowledged only 17 killings, while local authorities claim there were 50.

Like other parts of El Salvador and Central American countries, Chalchuapa - located in a rich coffee-growing region 78 kilometres from the capital San Salvador - has fallen prey to criminal gangs. Known as maras, the gangs have sought pricey extortions from local businesses and street vendors.

Local police have denied the existence of the death squads, and the Salvadoran government has claimed people who want to destabilize the country are behind the EL.

However, residents and business owners in Chalchuapa say they obey the curfew because they do not want to run any risks. The curfew is effectively enforced after 7 pm, although the EL said it wanted to impose it after 10 pm.

A group of alleged members of maras sent a video to several media outlets, in which they asked the authorities for protection.

There are precedents of death squads in other parts of El Salvador - in particular in the eastern province of San Miguel. Groups calling themselves Sombra Negra in 1996 and XGN General Maximiliano Hernandez Martinez are thought responsible for the killings of up to 60 gang members in the region.

Only last weekend, a court jailed five police officers accused of being hired killers. They were suspected of having been hired by businessmen for operations of social cleansing.

"To say Chalchuapa now is to say fear. I am forced to come here because I earn my living selling candy. I have already been robbed on two occasions and they have taken my money and the products I sell," said a black-market vendor in the town.

El Salvador is the most dangerous country in Latin America with a rate of 68 homicides per 100,000 inhabitants every year - among the highest rates in the world.

Copyright, respective author or news agency
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Very interesting if it is true the Maras are asking for police protection from these "Death Squads". Or this could be propaganda to claim they are restoring control from the gangs in El Salvador.

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

HI W: YOU KNOW WHAT? THIS IS TRUE. MY EX IS FROM EL SALVADOR (HE IS A CITIZEN AND LOVES THIS COUNTRY) HE HAD TOLD ME THIS WAS HAPPENING ALREADY IN 2004.

WHEN THEY STARTED DEPORTING THE ILLEGAL GANG MEMBERS THEY JUST STARTED KILLING THEM DOWN THERE BECAUSE THEY GO THERE AND TAKE OVER ENTIRE TOWNS AND TERRORIZE THE RESIDENTS. ITS LIKE A WAR ZONE.

MY EX MOTHER IN LAW EXPERIENCED A COUPLE OF HOME INVASIONS. THEY WERE TATTOOED GANG MEMBERS.

THEY DONT PUT UP WITH THIS KIND OF STUFF DOWN THERE AT ALL. THE PEOPLE ARE FORMING LIKE VIGIL ANTE GROUPS BECAUSE IT IS OUT OF CONTROL DOWN THERE. THE POLICE AND JAILS CANT HANDLE IT.

THE PEOPLE SEE IT AS THE ONLY WAY TO SURVIVE. IT IS THE GANGS OR THEM. THE GANGS ARE TOO MANY AND TOO BIG AND VIOLENT.

THERE HAVE ALWAYS BEEN GANGS DOWN THERE SINCE LIKE THE BEGINING OF TIME, BUT IN THE PAST THEY WOULD JUST KILL AND FIGHT WITH EACH OTHER.