Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

Saving cash is never a tall task for Mexicans

Saving cash is never a tall task for Mexicans
    Ramón RenterÃ*a / El Paso Times
    Posted: 02/01/2009 12:00:00 AM MST

Have you noticed all the national television networks telling us how to be frugal in these tough times?

They pull out all these financial experts and economists with Harvard Ph.D.s to remind us that we're sinking deeper in this pre- depression era or whatever.

Morning news talk shows have been cluttered lately with all sorts of people telling us how to save money, how to invest wiser and how to keep from jumping out of 10-story windows after finding out that half of our pension plans and 401k savings have vaporized, vanished forever.

Maybe they forgot to ask Mexicans. We've been stretching dollars, making do with less and exploring ways to get away with this or that for generations -- or at least long before the recession hit all of us.

We take the sales inserts from other stores, recycle them through Wal-Mart half a dozen times and then pass them to our comadres. They do the same.

A resourceful colleague (who shall remain nameless to protect the guilty) finally bought a laptop computer. Now, she's ripping off broadband Internet service from the neighbors with the wireless feature built into her gadget.

This same high-tech Mexican waits for the neighbors to have a garage sale so that she can have one, too. Without having to put up those annoying signs.

We subscribe to cable television and split it into every room except the bathroom. Then we call Time Warner and complain we're getting ghosts on our favorite channels.

How many times have you seen the lady
    selling tamales outside your favorite grocery store? What food handler's card?
    We will fix anything for burritos or Bud Light. Even your friend from maintenance at work might do your air conditioner at home for a 12-pack.

We hardly ever spend money on tickets for anything. We just pray we win the ticket raffle at work.

Before you even open your daughter's birthday presents, your sister has already claimed the prettiest bags for the next party.

We never pay relatives for baby-sitting. Instead, we might reward them later with food. Maybe.

Then we'll carry the 3-year-old into the amusement park, pretend he or she still can't walk, so we can take advantage of the free admission reserved for the under-2 crowd.

And which one of youisn't guilty of stuffing your purse with candy before entering the movie theater? Sometimes even popcorn with extra butter.

No $6 tall boys for us. We won't give away any family secrets. Let's just say sneaking beers into the stadium is a lot tougher now. The children we all used as mules have grown up.

Our ancestors studied mathematics and astronomy and built funky pyramids. We don't need any scholarly advice on saving money during hard times.

What's the big deal?

http://www.elpasotimes.com/news/ci_11600031

Sorry people ...
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

One Mexican claiming to speak as and for other Mexicans and proposing or stating desirability of unethical behaviour does more damage to their public image than a hundred bigoted Anglos.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I could not agree with you more Richard............
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

Do you think they may be talking to the wrong audience?

I wish I could spend money like our government does.

WOW! Would I ever have a great time visiting other countries and a house on every shore! I could even afford to hire REAL AMERICANS to manicure my lawns.

The things I could do!
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

Huh ? Does the author of this article despise his own race ?

We all know IA's,who think it is perfectly acceptable to break our laws, do have a lot of these negative traits but not the average hard working American Hispanic !
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

Yeap you are right, I totally agree with you.
    Proud to be an AMERICAN