Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

School Tracks Students With Microchips, Some Refuse

School Tracks Students With Microchips, Some Refuse

October 11, 2012 by Bryan Nash

PHOTOS.COM

Since October, some schools in Texas have asked all students to wear microchips in an effort to cut down on truancy. Freedom-loving pupils have refused to do so, but not without suffering the consequences.

Students attending John Jay High School and Anson Joes Middle School are supposed to attend class with photo ID cards equipped with radio-frequency identification chips. The strategy is intended to help teachers know where students are at all times during the school day.

“I had a teacher tell me I would not be allowed to vote because I did not have the proper voter ID,” said Andrea Hernandez, a sophomore at John Jay High School. “I had my old student ID card which they originally told us would be good for the entire four years we were in school. He said I needed the new ID with the chip in order to vote.”

Deputy Superintendent Ray Galindo issued this statement to Hernandez’ parents: “I urge you to accept this solution so that your child’s instructional program will not be affected. As we discussed, there will be consequences for refusal to wear an ID card as we begin to move forward with full implementation.”

Some people feel that the chips have the potential of doing more harm than good.
    “Using this information along with an RFID reader means a predator could use this information to determine if the student is at home and then track them wherever they go,” said Heather Fazio of Texans for Accountable Government. “These chips are always broadcasting so anyone with a reader can track them anywhere.”

School Tracks Students With Microchips, Some Refuse : Personal Liberty Digest™
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 10-15-2012 at 06:48 PM.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

Students who refuse to be micro-chipped are punished by tyrannical Texas schools

Monday, October 15, 2012 by: J. D. Heyes
    (NaturalNews) The surveillance society continues to expand across America, with those who refuse to go along subject to recriminations and reprisals.

That's what's happening to students at John Jay High School and Anson Jones Middle School in San Antonio whose parents refuse to have their children tracked by school officials.

According to reports, the school districts implemented new rules Oct. 1 that require each student to attend classes with photo ID cards embedded with a radio-frequency identification (RFID) chip, so officials are able to track every pupil's location. Educators have said the requirement is necessary to stem rampant truancy, which is, in turn, taking a huge chunk out of the school's funding. If the program is eventually judged to be effective, officials plan to roll it out to all 112 schools in the district, covering some 100,000 students.

Kids who won't wear the ID trackers - which are supposed to be carried in pockets or around the neck - complain they are being targeted by teachers and are not permitted to take part in certain school functions. Some have even said they have been refused entrance to common areas like libraries and cafeterias.

Mark of the beast?

One student, Andrea Hernandez, a sophomore at John Jay, said in an interview that educators have turned a deaf ear to her pleas to respect her privacy and have told her she can't participate in school elections if she doesn't comply with the tracking program (apparently the Constitution really isn't taught in many U.S. schools these days).

In an interview with Salon, Hernandez said subjecting herself to such continual monitoring was like being branded with "the mark of the beast," a Biblical reference to the Book of Revelations.

Later, in a separate interview published by WorldNetDaily, Hernandez said the
    school responded by threatening her with the loss of her right to vote in the school's homecoming king and queen contest for disobeying.

"I had a teacher tell me I would not be allowed to vote because I did not have the proper voter ID," Hernandez told WND. "I had my old student ID card which they originally told us would be good for the entire four years we were in school. He said I needed the new ID with the chip in order to vote."

Upon refusing to wear the RFID-chipped ID, the web paper said Deputy Superintendent Ray Galindo fired off a statement to her parents: "We are simply asking your daughter to wear an ID bad as every other student and adult on the Jay campus is asked to do."

If she still refused; he went on, later repercussions would be stiffer than merely revoking her rights to vote in homecoming contests once the school decides to make the monitoring a mandatory attendance rule.

"I urge you to accept this solution so that your child's instructional program will not be affected. As we discussed, there will be consequences for refusal to wear an ID card as we begin to move forward with full implementation," Galindo wrote.

Steve Hernandez, Andrea's father, told WND that the school seemed somewhat willing to work with his daughter, but went on to say the family is simply unwilling to "agree to stop criticizing the program" and endorse it publicly.

"I told him that was unacceptable because it would imply an endorsement of the district's policy and my daughter and I should not have to give up our constitutional rights to speak out against a program that we feel is wrong," Mr. Hernandez said.

Profiting from privacy destruction

But there's money in tracking and privacy violation, you see - at least in this case.

The Northside Independent School District is set to collect north of $2 million in state funding to revise its poor attendance records; the RFID program will cost only about a quarter of that amount, with another $136,000 in annual maintenance costs.

But that money will likely not offset damages from unintended privacy violations on the back end: Heather Fazio, of Texans for Accountable Government, told WND she filed a Freedom of Information Act request regarding the program, for which she paid a $30 filing fee, and received the names and addresses of every student in the district.

"Using this information along with an RFID reader means a predator could use this information to determine if the student is at home and then track them wherever they go. These chips are always broadcasting so anyone with a reader can track them anywhere," she said.

A spokeswoman for the American Civil Liberties Union told the local San Antonio Express-News earlier this year her organization expects to file a legal challenge to the tracking program.

But Rebecca Robertson, who is with a local branch of the organization said that, "the ACLU of Texas will not be able to represent you or your daughter in this matter," saying the case did not meet the group's criteria.

Sources:

http://www.wnd.com

http://www.theblaze.com

Texas schools punish students who refuse to be tracked with microchips — RT

Articles Related to This Article:

Re-authorization of the No Child Left Behind Act and Its Hidden Agenda

Improve School Lunches with Locally Grown Food

Institute for Integrative Nutrition offers a new education path for health-minded adults; a conversation with founder Joshua Rosenthal

Interview with Jennifer Mattox, founder of Faerie Films and director of school nutrition documentary "Vending Machine"

U.S. schoolchildren now subjected to sack lunch searches by government agents who enforce nutritional insanity

Website offers up to $500 for school teachers caught on tape
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 10-15-2012 at 06:54 PM.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

This makes homeschooling even more attractive. JMO

Coming to a school cafeteria checkout near you: palm scanners

4:50 PM 11/26/2012
    Eric Owens

Students at schools in Pinellas County, Fla. pay for lunch by waving their hands over a palm scanner instead of using money or anything similarly outdated.

The palm-swiping process uses the near-infrared technology television remote controls use, USA Today reports. It takes approximately four seconds and it’s 99 percent accurate.

“It’s so quick that a child could be standing in line, call mom and say, ‘I forgot my lunch money today.’ She’s by her computer, runs her card, and by the time the child is at the front of the line, it’s already recorded,” explained Art Dunham, director of food services for Pinellas County Schools.

The Tampa Bay area school district switched from lunch money to palm scanning roughly 18 months ago. Some 50,000 students across nearly 40 high schools and middle schools are currently eligible. That number will more than double soon, when the program expands to 80 elementary schools.

Students can opt out of palm scanning but only about 2 percent still use cash.

The palm scanners reportedly don’t present a hygiene problem because students never touch the machine to register a scan. They need only hold a hand just above it.

“We just love it,” Dunham told USA Today. “No one wants to go back.”

Not everyone shares his enthusiasm about palm scanning at the school lunch counter. Michael Webb, whose son Ian is a second grader in Carroll County, Md., has chosen not to participate in a similar program at Piney Ridge Elementary School.

“My son is not using the technology,” Webb said. “I’ll be honest, I think it’s horrible. It’s an intrusion into our children’s rights.”

Webb worries that the use of such identification technology could prevent young children from recognizing privacy violations when they grow older.

“I understand taking an iris scan of a pilot at an airport, so you know it’s the right pilot flying the plane,” Webb explained. “This is that level of equipment they’re installing in a line that serves steamed corn. I don’t think it rises to the level of steamed corn.”

Biometric tracking systems that recognize people by their physical features are turning up all over the place. Hospitals are also using the technology. All told, more than 50 school systems and 160 hospital systems in 15 states and the District of Columbia currently use palm scanners.

The use of the technology is likely to expand to other sectors. Banks are poised to start using them soon, particularly at ATMs. Palm scanners could also become a feature of cloud computing.

Read more: Coming to a school cafeteria checkout near you: palm scanners | The Daily Caller
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn