Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Schumer Predicts Dems Will Have Votes on Health Care Reform

Schumer Predicts Dems Will Have the Votes on Health Care Reform

Posted:
    10/25/09

New York Sen. Charles Schumer said today "that we're very close to getting the 60 votes" Democrats need to move forward with a health care reform bill and he believes that the final legislation will include some form of the public option. Schumer said on NBC's Meet the Press that he and Majority Leader Harry Reid have been talking to Democratic senators across the ideological spectrum about a public option plan that would allow states to "opt out."

Schumer said the plan differed from what liberal Democrats were pushing for because they wanted a "much more government-oriented program" that imposed rates for providers and mandated that everyone must obtain insurance. He said that under his proposal, the new entity would operate on a "level playing field" because it would have to negotiate rates like private insurers and that people would not be required to take the government option.

He said the government would set-up the public plan but after three months, it would "have to play by the same rules" as private insurers as far as requirements and then pay back the start-up money back over the course of several years. But he insisted that the only way to bring health costs down was to provide competition to private insurers because they would not do it on their own.

"My guess is that public option level playing field with state op-out will be in the bill," Schumer said, adding that Reid will make that decision after he talks to everybody "several times."

Republican Sen. John McCain of Arizona agreed with Schumer on the political outlook. "I think that the Democrats have the votes. I think that Blue Dogs bark but never bite. So I don't think they have a problem over in the House side," he said on CBS' Face the Nation. The House legislation includes a public option.

"In the Senate, I think that the Democrats are very aware that they don't want a repeat of the Clinton failure in 1994," said McCain. "So I think it's likely they will get something through. But it's not clear to me what it is."

But McCain accused President Obama of reneging on his campaign process to make the shaping of the bill transparent and to include Republicans. "The fact is there's been no change. There's a room with a few Democrats in it and some administration officials. And they are writing this entire bill. I don't think the American people like that very much."

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2009/10/25 ... re-reform/
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

This is absolutely insane. We have a divisive president pushing a program against the will of the American people, and these folks really think they're going to have a job come next election.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Our state legislature is already working on an opt out plan based on the unconstitutionality of the forced plan.

Does that mean we can also opt out from paying for those states that welcome this fiasco?