Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Schwarzenegger declares statewide drought in California

Schwarzenegger declares statewide drought in California

By Don Thompson
    ASSOCIATED PRESS

10:44 a.m. June 4, 2008

SACRAMENTO – Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger is proclaiming a statewide drought after two years of below-average rainfall, low snowmelt runoff and the largest court-ordered restrictions on water transfers in state history.

Associated Press
    After declaring that California is in a drought, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signs an executive order directing the Department of Water Resources to help speed water transfers to areas with the worst shortages, during a news conference at the Capitol in Sacramento Wednesday.
    His office said he would issue an executive order Wednesday directing the state's response to unusually dry conditions that are damaging crops, harming water quality and causing extreme fire danger across California. Many communities already are requiring water conservation or rationing to deal with the shortfall.

Schwarzenegger's statewide drought declaration is the first since 1991, when Gov. Pete Wilson acted in the fifth year of a drought that lasted into 1992.

The executive order directs the state Department of Water Resources to speed water transfers to areas with the worst shortages. It also tells state officials to help local water districts with conservation efforts and directs agencies to help farmers suffering losses from the drought.

In addition, the governor is naming two “water czars,â€
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security."
    Benjamin Franklin

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

So what else is new? This state is always in a drought! That is until it rains then everything is flooded.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Sorry, but I think this is bogus. Just another regulation tactic.

The U.S. Bureau of Reclamation said this week it would cut water supplied to Central Valley farms to 40 percent of the amount growers contract for with the federal government.

That could mean hundreds of acres of crops won't be planted this year, according to the giant Westlands Water District, which supplies growers who produce about $1 billion worth of crops each year.
    Proves how deceitful and un-needed Senator Feinstein's AgJob Amendment was.
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security."
    Benjamin Franklin

So what else is new? This state is always in a drought! That is until it rains then everything is flooded.
    Ya think they see a pattern here? Know what? Each year it gets really cold here during the winter and really hot in the summer......bet that has them scratching their head too wondering what to do about it .

The U.S. Bureau of Reclamation said this week it would cut water supplied to Central Valley farms to 40 percent of the amount growers contract for with the federal government.

That could mean hundreds of acres of crops won't be planted this year, according to the giant Westlands Water District, which supplies growers who produce about $1 billion worth of crops each year.
    Make your choices.....more people to deal with or water for food. Can't have both. Resources are limited and a fine balance must be maintained.

Lack of water was one of the reasons they gave us as children when they came into the schools to impress upon us how important Family Planning and Zero Population Growth was.

I was important enough to whack our unborn children!

It's still not important enough to enforce our immigration laws!

Just who runs this country and for whom?

[i]
    “Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.â€

Lack of water was one of the reasons they gave us as children when they came into the schools to impress upon us how important Family Planning and Zero Population Growth was.

I was important enough to whack our unborn children!

It's still not important enough to enforce our immigration laws!

Just who runs this country and for whom?

I know they drilled us on that. That was during the last global freeze. Recycle and conserve and save our open spaces and wildlife and have less children.....we do that only to have them bring in 10x's more, build on open spaces, make more products that last less time out of things that are more environmentally unfriendly and then anything we were taught to reuse is now toxic if we if do.......see a game going on here based by a bunch of idiots who change the rules on a whim? Don't have children because of the global population and then bring in zillions because we didn't breed enough? We were doing 100% better with alot less people and we don't NEED all this. California is on the coast......where's the water plants to remove the salt from the ocean they told us was the wave of the future? I mean ice caps are melting and the ocean is rising and they could be doing something with that.

My sister was telling me about the global freezing story they had going for a while.

I must have missed it or they failed to carve it into my brain deep enough.

Thanks crazybird for acknowledging my post with the population thing.

I think a lot of people don't remember it or the way they got to people to stop having children switched to safe sex in the eighties. The results are the same.

We were at a pretty stable population rate when they started in on us in the sixties and seventies any way. Now with them talking of the need to expand the infrastructure and grow the ecconomy it seems it is only being done to cater to the new arrivals.

We sure need some maintenance done on things like our roads here but as for paving and building on every open spot that seems a little uncalled for.