Sen. Cornyn: Democrats in 'Near Panic' Over Obamacare

Wednesday, 13 Nov 2013 04:42 PM
By Bill Hoffmann

Democrats are in a "near panic" over the botched launch of the Affordable Care Act and may soon be begging Republicans to help them repair the nation's mangled healthcare system, Sen. John Cornyn of Texas says.

"The Democrats own this. They made a mistake at the very beginning because there was no bipartisan support for Obamacare. Every Republican voted against it. Every Democrat voted for it. So they own it," Cornyn told "The Steve Malzberg Show" on Newsmax TV.

Story continues below video.

Video at the Page Link

"At some point, Democrats are going to come to Republicans and say, you know what, we were big cheerleaders for this legislation and it isn't working; what can we do to protect our American people, our constituents from the hardship that is resulting from this failure? We're going to have to listen and try to figure something out."

Cornyn says Republicans must hammer out their own distinct, workable plan to replace the Affordable Care Act.

"People need to hear from us that we're not just against Obamacare with all of its flaws, we are for people getting affordable, quality healthcare and we can do it a whole lot better than this government takeover," he said.

Cornyn was stunned to hear former President Bill Clinton this week say that President Barack Obama should keep his promise to let those who like their current insurance policies keep them, even if it means changing the law.

"I nearly fell out of my chair but I bet I wasn't the only one. I bet there were a number of people at the White House who thought, okay, President Clinton just threw us under the bus," he said.

But even if Obama were to take Clinton's advice to heart, keeping his promise may no longer be possible to those who have seen their policies cancelled.

"I am sure that you can't force insurance companies to re-issue policies they've now since cancelled because the [law] of the land tells them they have to," Cornyn said.

© 2013 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

http://www.newsmax.com/NewsmaxTv/cor...1/13/id/536493