Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Sen. Menendez: GOP Pays 'Price' in Opposing Sotomayor

Sen. Menendez: GOP Pays 'Price' in Opposing Sotomayor

Wednesday, August 5, 2009 8:26 PM

The only Hispanic Democratic US Senator, Robert Menendez, and leaders of major Latino groups warned Wednesday that Republicans will "pay a price" for voting against Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor.

"I believe the Republicans will pay a price for saying 'no' to this judge," and to President Barack Obama's policies in general, Menendez said in Spanish at a press conference ahead of Sotomayor's all-but-certain confirmation.

The Cuban-American New Jersey lawmaker said "maybe less than 10" of the chamber's 40 Republicans will vote to confirm the 55-year-old appeals court judge, who was poised to become the first Hispanic and third woman on the US Supreme Court. Sotomayor is the daughter of migrants from Puerto Rico.

Democrats have, at least on paper, the 60 votes needed to land her the lifetime appointment, and a handful of Republicans have said they will join them, leading to expectations she will be confirmed this week before lawmakers leave for a month-long recess.

Republican Senator Kit Bond of Missouri announced he would vote for confirmation, bringing to seven the number of Republicans backing Sotomayor.

"I will support her, I'll be proud for her, the community she represents, and the American Dream she shows is possible," he said. "I urge my colleagues to do the same."

Some Republicans have worried that opposition to Sotomayor may hurt the party with Hispanic voters, who could play a decisive role in the 2010 mid-term elections and the 2012 presidential vote after that.

"In last year's elections, the road to the White House in large part came through the Latino community," said Menendez. "We need to know who is with us, and who is not."

But Hispanic Americans do not vote as a bloc. And most -- more than 60 percent -- are Mexican-American.

Because the Hispanic sociological group is the fastest-growing US minority, lawmakers are keen to try to line up support.

Menendez also accused Senate Republican leaders of doing everything they could to oppose the confirmation of Sotomayor, and called opposition to her despite her qualifications "a slap and an offense to the Hispanic community."

Janet MurguĂ*a, head of the National Council of La Raza, head of the National Council of La Raza, said Sotomayor's nomination had galvanized and united the diverse US Hispanic population and cautioned Republicans about the coming vote.

"I think the Republican party is at a crossroads with our Latino community," she said. "This vote will matter and it will be long remembered."

Murguia underlined Sotomayor's rise from a poor neighborhood in New York City's Bronx borough to the summit of the US legal profession and said she was an inspiring example to Latinos everywhere.

"This is a vote in support of everyone who believes in that American Dream," she said.

Since the beginning of the often harsh debate over Sotomayor, Republicans have underlined that Democrats blocked a vote to confirm a Hispanic nominee, Miguel Estrada, to be an appeals court judge.

"Opponents of the Estrada nomination were ruthless, and eventually succeeded in driving him to withdraw from consideration after more than two years of entrenched opposition," said Republican Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell.

"Because he had been nominated by a Republican, Estrada got no points for his compelling personal story, despite the fact that he had come here as a child from Honduras, went to Harvard Law School, clerked on the US Supreme Court, and served as a prosecutor in New York and at the Justice Department," he said.

Democratic Senators Ted Kennedy and Robert Byrd could be no-shows at the vote because of health reasons.

Meanwhile, a new CNN poll released Wednesday found that 51 percent of US respondents surveyed favored Sotomayor being approved. Thirty-six percent opposed her appointment and 14 percent had no opinion, the survey found.

Source: Agence France Presse

http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/mene ... 44476.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The only Hispanic Democratic US Senator, Robert Menendez, and leaders of major Latino groups warned Wednesday that Republicans will "pay a price" for voting against Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor.
    Fire all Republicans that vote for her! Collins, Snowe, Graham, Gregg, Alexander, Lugar, Bond, and others ....
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Pay a price? Is that an implied threat, Menendez? Does your hispanic pseudo-race matter much more than what is good for the country as a whole?

April
    Republican Senator Kit Bond of Missouri announced he would vote for confirmation, bringing to seven the number of Republicans backing Sotomayor.

"I will support her, I'll be proud for her, the community she represents, and the American Dream she shows is possible," he said. "I urge my colleagues to do the same."
    What a load of BS, he is proud of the racist agenda she represents...........well we are not proud of you Kit and WE do not support you and you have betrayed your community and country by supporting Sotomayor.

ELE

Mendendez: Third World thug politician

Mendendez, the American people of ALL races have their eyes on you and the people that vote Sotomayor into office. Americans put you into office and they can take you out of office as well.

Quote Originally Posted by vmonkey56
    OH SHUT UP YOU STUPID RACIST

MW
    "In last year's elections, the road to the White House in large part came through the Latino community," said Menendez. "We need to know who is with us, and who is not."
    "We need to know who is with us, and who is not."

Wow, that sounds like something I would expect to hear from a La Raza spokesperson, not a United States Senator who was elected to represent all the people living in the state of New Jersey!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn