Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Six inconvenient truths about the U.S. and slavery

Six inconvenient truths about the U.S. and slavery

By Michael Medved
    Wednesday, September 26, 2007
    http://www.townhall.com/columnists/Mich ... nd_slavery
    Read Article & Comments (304)

Those who want to discredit the United States and to deny our role as history’s most powerful and pre-eminent force for freedom, goodness and human dignity invariably focus on America’s bloody past as a slave-holding nation. Along with the displacement and mistreatment of Native Americans, the enslavement of literally millions of Africans counts as one of our two founding crimes—and an obvious rebuttal to any claims that this Republic truly represents “the land of the free and the home of the brave.â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Leading up to the Civil War the United States had made an investment in training skilled labor, management and in infrastucture. The Civil War death toll had a disproportianate effect on the young and unskilled. In the period after the war a period existed of high wages and social mobility for many Blacks. The same shortage of labor encouraged an increase in immigration from Southern and Eastern Europe by the 1880s. Most of the European immigrants were young and unskilled and competed with the freed Blacks. Preference for whites increased and the condition of Blacks which had improved stagnated. The best thing that could now be done in the interest of the American Blacks living now would be having the immigration into the country decrease.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Leading up to the Civil War the United States had made an investment in training skilled labor, management and in infrastucture. The Civil War death toll had a disproportianate effect on the young and unskilled. In the period after the war a period existed of high wages and social mobility for many Blacks. The same shortage of labor encouraged an increase in immigration from Southern and Eastern Europe by the 1880s. Most of the European immigrants were young and unskilled and competed with the freed Blacks. Preference for whites increased and the condition of Blacks which had improved stagnated. The best thing that could now be done in the interest of the American Blacks living now would be having the immigration into the country decrease.
    Excellent analysis, Richard. Illegal immigration is devestating to the employment numbers of our citizens, but perhaps, even more so to the black community. I just don't understand why the most visible black leaders don't speak out loud and clear on this issue. The reason may be that they are in the pocket of corporate america, big business and the globalist elitists. Race only matters to them when it serves their agenda.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Very engaging topic, zeezil.

I'd like to speak on this, but:

#1. I'm trying to find my post titled "Democrats and Black People".

#2. The mod that deleted my post, I know will not admit to doing it because they know I can hold my own. Furthermore if it were possible to comment on that mod's way of moderating, I would have some choice words to say. Mod, mod, come out wherever you are!

I know this is not the right post to express my resentment for the mod that deletes posts without notification, but I trust you will excuse me for once, zeezil, that I may answer this post in a little while...

(If by any chance I am wrong about the mod that did this, I will stand up and admit that fact, but I don't see how I can be wrong about this.)
    I freed thousands of slaves; I could have freed more if they knew they were slaves.
    --Harriet Tubman

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Great points Richard. WE have to fix the here and now or there will be no point in discussing the past, because there will be no future.
    por las chupacabras todo, fuero de las chupacabras nada