I saw this article on MSNBC when I logged in today. The Bush Administration is warning that the dwindling Social Security fund may require reducing benefits and raising taxes. This has been a great subject of debate in recent US Congessional sessions.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20957376/

I have a different solution to this crisis: Start collecting unpaid taxes that are due to the US government! I know that the Social Security system has its own taxation but when I see the figures of how much money in general goes uncollected I can't help but think this would be a solution. I believe a figure of $200 billion annually is accurate. There is a huge participation in fraudulent tax evasion schemes, anywhere from small "cottage" industries to illegal corporate offshore tax havens.

IRS audits have been shown to be cost effective and techniques have improved in recent years. If we collected 75 percent of the $200 billion could not this be used to reduce the federal deficit and to bail out the Social Security system? Why should honest citizens bear the burden and cheaters walk away unpunished?