Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Sock makers' message: Buy American N.C. manufacturers pitch

Posted on Sun, Jun. 04, 2006

LATEST DEVELOPMENTS
    Sock makers' message: Buy American
    N.C. manufacturers pitch in for new I-40 billboard
    JEN ARONOFF

A new billboard on the westbound side of Interstate 40 heading into Hickory wants you -- to purchase American-made socks.

About 20 sock manufacturers, almost all of them from North Carolina, pitched in for the 44-by-14-foot sign, which shows Uncle Sam clutching a pair of socks, reads "Save our sock industry" and encourages shoppers to look for American-made socks.

A similar billboard went up in Greensboro in early May, and the mills hope others will follow, said Jim Schollaert, who coordinated the campaign and serves as the sock makers' advocate in Washington.

The companies hope the signs will also spur people to consider how U.S. sock manufacturing affects communities -- by providing jobs, tax and utility revenue, and supporting a middle-class way of life.

"If you go to the store to shop for apparel, you're going to have an extremely hard time finding a blouse or a dress or a T-shirt or underwear or a pair of khakis made in the USA, but you can still find socks," Schollaert said. "So it's not too late to save our sock industry."

In recent years, however, American sock makers have been undercut by a flood of cheap imports, particularly from China, Schollaert said. In 2000, domestic mills supplied 73 percent of the nation's sock market. Now, that number is about 30 percent.

In that same time, North Carolina -- the nation's leading sock-producing state -- has lost roughly 9,000 hosiery jobs, according to the N.C. Employment Security Commission. More than 1,600 of those cuts have come in the Unifour, one of the centers of the N.C. sock industry.

Sock producers say they've long been adapting manufacturing and machinery to stay afloat, competing with specialty products and fast turnaround times.

"We've had to fight to maintain jobs in the U.S. market here," said Kevin Huitt, the president and owner of Huitt Mills, which has plants in Hildebran and North Wilkesboro. "The business was very largely made in the USA by small, family-run companies up until five or six years ago."

Though the billboard is perhaps the most visible reminder of sock makers' efforts to keep the domestic industry afloat, they have also been working for more favorable trade policies.

New limits on Chinese sock imports began in late 2004 and will last until the end of 2008, and a new rule that took effect in March requires all socks sold in the U.S. to list the country of origin on the front, next to the size.

At least one marketing study has found that only about one in five Americans seriously weighs country of origin when considering whether to purchase a product, and companies have long argued that consumers make up their minds based primarily on price.

But manufacturers note there's usually very little difference in retail price between imports and American-made socks.

"We're hoping to get the average consumer to be more aware of it," said Ronnie Brittain, president of L&R Knitting, a Hickory sock maker. "(We want to) get the consumer to look for the "Made in the USA" and have a little patriotism, to a certain extent."

Have a Tip?

Call Jen Aronoff at (82 324-0055, e-mail jaronoff@charlotte observer.com, fax (82 327-3480 or mail it to Catawba Valley bureau, P.O. Box 2464, Hickory, NC 28603. Jen

Aronoff

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/n ... 737566.htm
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

You know? I believe we only make socks, undershirts and sweats now!! I have found 2 or 3 USA jean makers....found a sweater marked USA...but it's real hard...

The USA made stuff on the internet, usually looks like home crafts!! What a shame for a once great Country!
    Do not vote for Party this year, vote for America and American workers!

my son needs new socks. Tell me the American brands and I will go get them or order them.

http://www.wigwam.com/brandhome.htm

If you need socks, Wigwam socks are by far the BEST socks you will ever wear, I've been wearing them for more then 10 years and will not wear anything else, and they are made in the USA! In Shebaoygan WI....

When you go to the Wigwam page theres a little USA button on the bottom right, move your mouse over it and a window will come up in ther middle of your screen explaining why they produce ONLY in the USA while other sock companies have moved their productions out of the country.

Are Legal American Citizens working there? Just curious. Doesn't do American Citizens much good if it's kept afloat by insourced cheap labor. But it's a definate place to start saving our American Companies. What brand do they go under? I try to get USA made stuff. It's usually alot better quality and size consistant. Nothing I hate worse than finding something and having each thing in the same size fit different.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by crazybird
    Are Legal American Citizens working there? Just curious. Doesn't do American Citizens much good if it's kept afloat by insourced cheap labor. But it's a definate place to start saving our American Companies. What brand do they go under? I try to get USA made stuff. It's usually alot better quality and size consistant. Nothing I hate worse than finding something and having each thing in the same size fit different.
    Wigwam is the brand, the quality can't be beat and the size is EXACTLY the same each time I buy them or order online. Every other sock has always been thin and cheesy feeling, I can't wear anything else. I'll call them tomorrow and ask about employees.