May 28, 2008, 8:51PM
South Texas constable arrested on drug trafficking charges

© 2008 The Associated Press

PORT ISABEL, Texas — A Cameron County constable has been arrested on drug trafficking charges after indictment by a Brownsville grand jury.

The U.S. Attorney's Office unsealed the indictment after Drug Enforcement Agency and FBI agents arrested Precinct 1 Constable Saul Ochoa at the Port Isabel Police Department on Wednesday.

The grand jury charged Ochoa with possessing five to 10 pounds of marijuana on four different days in May with the intent to distribute. Each of the four counts carries a maximum five years in prison and $250,000 fine.

Ochoa is expected to have his initial appearance before U.S. Magistrate Judge Felix Recio in Brownsville later Wednesday or Thursday.

County Judge Carlos Cascos said he has asked the county's civil division to look into the possibility of having Ochoa not work until the case is resolved.

"I don't know what we can do at this point. What I am trying to do is, I'm trying to get him out off the streets until this is resolved because of the nature of the charge," Cascos said in a story for Thursday's editions of The Brownsville Herald.

Justice of the Peace Benny Ochoa, Ochoa's brother, told the newspaper that he and other family members were shocked by the arrest.

"Right now we don't know what is going on. We will have to wait until tomorrow," he said.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/5806515.html