http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 68747.html

Spokesman: Pittsburgh mayor 'hour-to-hour'

By David Conti
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, September 1, 2006

Pittsburghers went to work this morning searching for updates on Mayor Bob O'Connor's condition and remained hopeful for some signs of recovery.
"I put on the radio right away this morning to hear," said Farris Hisle, 61, a taxi driver who grew up in the West End. "I -- like everyone else -- hoped there would be a change, but it doesn't look that way."

Mayoral spokesman Dick Skrinjar said there were no updates on O'Connor, as the top aide arrived at the City-County Building, Downtown shortly after 8 a.m.

"Here's still resting comfortably," Skrinjar said. "The mayor's on his own schedule, as always."

O'Connor, 61, of Squirrel Hill, who has been battling brain cancer at UPMC Shadyside, was not on life-support and was resting peacefully, Skrinjar said.

O'Connor's condition quickly deteriorated late Sunday. On Monday, his doctors said he was fighting an infection and experiencing seizures.

"We've gone from day-to-day to hour-to-hour," Skrinjar said last night, as his family and friends kept a vigil at his bedside.

Millicent Harvey, 39, of Homewood, this morning said losing O'Connor would be a "tragedy."

"He's been a good mayor, especially for the black community," Harvey said as she headed to the county courthouse. "When there was a shooting out in our neighborhood, he came out. He shows up to hear a community's voice, unlike others. He always showed up."

Hisle said some in the city already appear to be in mourning.

"It's hit everyone," he said, as he sat in his cab outside the Westin William Penn Hotel. "I'm 61, just like him, so it's scary. He wasn't sick, he thought he just had a cold when he went to the hospital."

Karen Stewart, of West Mifflin, said she was just going to keep on praying.

"There's always a chance for a miracle," Stewart said as she walked to work at a CVS pharmacy.

Andrew Gans, 24, of Mt. Lebanon said he thinks the city will stay on track if O'Connor dies.

"The city will be fine, but I still hope he gets better," said Gans, who processes investments at Mellon Financial.

Last night, recognizing the end is near, city officials prepared legal documents required for Council President Luke Ravenstahl to take over as Pittsburgh's 59th mayor.

Ravenstahl, 26, of the North Side, said any official announcement would come today.

Brown said Ravenstal's young age gives hope for the city's future.

"Maybe that's what the city needs, some young spirit," she said.

David Conti can be reached at dconti@tribweb.com or (412) 391-0927.